Texas Stock Car Championships Cancelled

First I would like to thank everyone for supporting STS this past weekend.

I have never cancelled a planned race without weather being a factor but I am going to have to cancel the stock car championships for multiple reasons. The biggest reason is I can not afford to lose more money, next weekend we would be competing against the Texas Race and the opening of hunting season. This past weekend we did not have anything to compete against and even with some generous drivers it was a losing effort.

Our next event will be the United States Modified Touring Series on November 15th, 16th, and 17th.

Sorry to everyone that spent money to prepare for the Stock Car Championships.

Owen

Thanks Owen for a great season and the BEST DIRT TRACK IN TEXAS,look forward to doing it again next year.Even thow we came up a little short it was a blast. WAY TO GO ZIGGY ON YOUR HOBBY STOCK CHAPIONSHIP you were pretty flawless all year long GREAT JOB GUY.

Bob

Thank you for a great place to race all year Owen I was hoping to race next weekend but you have to do what is best for you and the track once agian thank you for the best dirt track in Texas. Brian Updike Texas thunder #33 :):D

supertune - That is some faulty logic there, sir. Owen loses money if there is a rainout because he still has bills to pay with no income to pay them. And he loses money if there is no rainout if the cash outgo is greater than the cash income. The only time a race track can make money is when it's expenses are less than it's income. Period.

Owen - hang in there buddy. People really do want to support you and South Texas Speedway. Hopefully, the racing community now realizes that race tracks don't grow on trees and that we had better get behind the tracks we have left.

Nick

THAT IS RIGHT YOU ARE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN AND I KNOW AT LEAST 100 PEOPLE THAT THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE TO KEEP IT RUNNING THIS YEAR I WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR AS LONG AS THE TEXAS THUNDER CLASS IS WELCOME TO RACE IF NOT MOVE UP TONEXT CLASS THANK YOU OWEN BRIAN UPDIKE #33 :)

supertune - That is some faulty logic there, sir. Owen loses money if there is a rainout because he still has bills to pay with no income to pay them. And he loses money if there is no rainout if the cash outgo is greater than the cash income. The only time a race track can make money is when it's expenses are less than it's income. Period.

Owen - hang in there buddy. People really do want to support you and South Texas Speedway. Hopefully, the racing community now realizes that race tracks don't grow on trees and that we had better get behind the tracks we have left.

Nick

YOU HIT THAT ONE ON THE NAIL .....I HATE TO SEE OWEN DO WHAT HE HAS TO DO ..EVENTHOW I DONT GET OUT TO THE DIRT TRACK EXCEPT FOR ONCE THIS YEAR ......I DO TELL POEPLE WHERE THE TRACK IS ... DONT WANT HIM TO HAVE TO SHUT IT DOWN ..IVE STOOD BACK AND SEEN WHAT HE HAS WORKED HARD FOR ..THE RESPECT HE HAS FROM DRIVERS AND FANS ALIKE .. CANT FAULT HIS DRIVE TO GIVE POEPLE A PLACE TO RACE ..... ILL PREDICT VERY LITTLE RAIN NEXT YEAR ..SUPERTUNE .ONE WEEK OF PROFIT DOES NOT COVER THREE WEEKS OF LOST ...DO THAT THREE ... FOUR OR MORE TIMES A YEAR AND IT WONT TAKE LONG BEFORE YOUR BROKE ... GOOD LUCK OWEN .....PS THIS IS FOR POEPLE WHO DONT THINK YOU NEED TO HELP PROMOTE THE TRACK ..THE TRACK SHOULD PROMOTE ITSELF ....WRONG .....A FEW MORE FANS IN THE STANDS FROM DRIVER PROMOTIONS AND SOME TRACKS MAY MAKE ENOUGH TO STAY OPEN LONGER ...OR BREAK EVEN ..OR MAKE A PROFIT ..

THAT IS RIGHT YOU ARE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN AND I KNOW AT LEAST 100 PEOPLE THAT THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE TO KEEP IT RUNNING THIS YEAR I WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR AS LONG AS THE TEXAS THUNDER CLASS IS WELCOME TO RACE IF NOT MOVE UP TONEXT CLASS THANK YOU OWEN BRIAN UPDIKE #33 :)

Owen is doing a good job in Corpus and we plan on racing there next year when rgs allows us the same rules as your purestocks but if you want one more race you can always pull down to the valley for that one more race to finish out the season.

we would like the competition if you want to bring it.........cmon

I'm still unsure on this whole issue. I just can't see how the track says there is no money to race when there were sponsors for many nights early in the season. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they put in a big amount of money for each race sponsored? If they were going to sponsor a race that was cancelled/rained out earlier in the season, why couldn't they be kindly asked to sponsor the Tx Stock Car Championship? I'm sure some would have been willing.

Rusty Nut, I try to give all sponsors a night at the races that does not mean they gave me money that night, just means they did sponsor the track and we appreciate. Track could have easily afforded to open its doors to run but at the end of the night when it is a losing effort what good has been done. We have seen declines in car counts and fan counts for the last 6 to 8 weeks, I have asked alot of people why and pretty much standard response it is late in the year everyone is tired or everyone wants to travle to big shows. So if you can't get cars or fans you should not race, yes I know we could get some cars but 14 or 15 in each class does not pay for it self in any way.

Give me a call if you have any more questions, I will go over all the bills and the sponsors with you.

Owen

361-548-0669

It is really starting to get old reading how the racers know a track is making money because of this or that. Why are they all struggling and shutting down if they are making money? Rusty Nut - Do you have any idea what it costs to open the gates on any given Saturday? Insurance, purses, ambulance, maintenance, rent (lease or however it is set up), electricity, advertising and many other things I have left out. When the car and fan count dwindle, the only cost that goes down is the purse and it is the very small end of the purse he does not have to pay out. The purse decreases by 5% while the front gate, concessions and back gate income goes down by 30%. Since the purse is probably 50% of a track's expense, that means your expense went down by 2.5%. Since the only income you have is the front gate, concession and back gate, that means your income went down by 30%. It does not take a lot of math to figure out that does not work well for a business owner. What is the reason you think he is not wanting to open? Do you think he is making so much money that any more profit will put him in a higher tax bracket?

Lots of people think track owners are making a lot of money but yet they end up closing the tracks. If that were the case, what is the reason they are closing profitable businesses?

ALL I KNOW IS OWEN DID A GREAT JOB GIVING ME A PLACE TO RACE AND I REALLY HOPE THAT I CAN TRY AND WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY NEXT YEAR THE PAY OUT HELPS BUT I JUST LIKE THE TROPHIES AND I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO WIN ONE FEATURE TROPHY SO OWEN DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO SO WE ALL CAN HAVE A STABLE PLACE TO RACE THANK YOU AGAIN

Owen , did I read right 9 dollors a night for USMTS show???????? if thats the case people have no idea the bargan they are getting to see a show like this, its 15-20 dollars up on the midwest show, EVERYONE...... show your suport for a big show like this, I will be there with ticket in hand, sorry owen no car to bring as of right now.YOU WONT FING MORE FASTER MODS AND QUALITY OF MODS IN THEES PARTS EVER.......SHOW YOUR SUPORT, EAT TURKEY AT 2PM AND RACE AT NIGHT............

Archived