Fuel Cell

storm'71

I was witness to the terrible accident at the Southern Challenge...although it wasn't until I read the story that I became aware of the cause. Can anyone explain exactly where the gas cap is located on a mod/SSM? I'm assuming it's on the fuel cell itself. Also, other than it not being tight...what would cause the gas cap to "come off"? I would think the fuel cell would have had to have sustained some sort of damage for this to happen.

Thank you in advance.

...just a fan.

Got I-Stock?

The lid for the fuel cell is located on top of and in the middle of the top of the fuel cell. I can't tell you how many I've seen fall off with no other provocation than just the car running around the track. When they are new, they fit very snug and seal well. Over time with repeated use, some of them get more and more loose. The lid on ours is so tight right now that my 13 year old son has trouble getting it all the way on. That's the way it should be. It's up to each driver/team to insure that their equipment is safe. When a cap gets loose, trash it or do whatever it takes to make it tight again.

Fuel cap is located on the top of the tank, usually a haybell type latch

It could have either come off due to not being tight(being in a hurry when fueling up) or a bad,dried up gasket which happens a lot on gasoline.

Not sure if its jsut the brands I get, but the cork gaskets I used to get would last about 4 or 5 races then start leaking, had to go to rubber ones and now the cap BARELY closes, I dont think it actually even locks...have to get a wrench and cheat it to get closed and opened

Also, a lot of SSM cars have a breather hose on the tank which could have leaked out.

I didnt see the wreck, but was told he may have hit the wall?? which could have ruptured the tank or a line.

Of course all this is speculation as Im usre the car is being held for investigation and no one will know what happened for awhile/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived