OK pavement guys....whats up...think you're immune here?

rebelracewriter

There's a reason why sanctioning bodies shy away from "requiring" certain safety items in their rule books and require that the driver be responsible for his/her own personal safety equipment.

Let's say a sanctioning body required all the latest, most proven safety equipment and someone dies in a wreck while using that required stuff. Lawyers have a field day. And don't say they don't, because that's the first thing they look at when they "ambulance chase" race car drivers who have hurt in racing incidents.

Bottom line is that it's up to each team to be responsible for their driver's personal safety equipment.

Nick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we're on the subject of safety, I have a question. What is that place on the west side of New Braunfels, on the right that I pass when I go to Gruene? It looks like some sort of SIMPSON RACING PRODUCTS warehouse or distribution center. Anybody know?

Oh yeah, and 'Horse get some damn gloves! :angry:

OK Reb, here's a thought (actually thought of it many years ago), at the track, have a "Practice Rapid Extracation Car." Turn it upside down.

Competition: How fast can a driver extracate himself, upside-down, unaided. (if you've never tried it before, how can you know?)

Also, get the safety crew involved. Have them "practice" a rapid extracation of an "unconscious" driver. They may think they know what they would do, but if they've never actually done it ...........??????

Let's make some good come of this.

part of some lis test I've been associated with is the "blindfolded" test.Simple test,blindfold the driver while they are in the car,all strapped in with everything on,and see how long it takes em to kill the power,unstrap,etc,and get out of the car.Kinda gives the driver the effect of a smokey cockpit where you can't see your nose on your face.This can also be used as a practice when sitting around the shop bench racing.

Budman,in closed capsule powerboat racing,you go thru "capsule training" before you race one, where they will put you in a capsule in an controlled enviroment,usually a swimming pool,strapped in.Then the capsule is flipped over and you have to escape the capsule.

Abilene Reporter News

I read this article about Ryan and thought I would post it because it has a lot of his fathers words and I really think it captures the character from the family and this driver.

On a personal note I was encouraged to learn about Ryan and that he knew the Lord and I hope that his death will make everyone not only examine their race cars but their spiritual life as well.

On that note if you need any prayer/counseling about racing or just about life, my father is a license and ordained minister and chaplain you can call him anytime (512) 217-8945 and he and I will be happy to help anyone any way we can.

Cameron Moore Jr.

(512) 922-7416

Thanks for finding and posting that Cameron.

I appreciate some of y'all PM's on the subject.

I didn't mean to come off wrong with my rant. I just NEVER want to see something like this EVER again. And I posted in the dirt forums I'm on, if my tyrade gets one person to upgrade/improve/change their safety gear and it saves their life. Then that 's one person I can say that Ryan and I helped.

reb did you want people to respond? i didn't take it as a question.

3 yrs. ago i had an on the job accident that just about killed me. i was told i prolly shouldn't do this anymore , so safety is a big concern of ours. i think you are still upset about what you saw and that is understandable , but you are asking people to tell you that they are making changes .......maybe there are not any to be made or those that have found issues are just fixing them.

sorry you had to witness that bro.

3 layer suit , nomex underwear , heatshield shoes and heal cuff , and the only superstock i know of with a fire supression system.....but to be honest i do not wear gloves for my own personal safety beliefs.

bad stuff happens J. ,,,,and sometimes all the safety measures in the world can not prevent it.

- that is chase , cary's brother.

Shawn,

Just asking but why would you feel "safer" not wearing gloves? I mean if the car is burning up your gunna need your hands to climb out, they wont do you any good burnt?

i feel the best way to avoid a situation is not to help put yourself in the situation to begin with......i feel like a have alot better car control without them........ i don't get thegrip on the wheel that i want. the best way to keep from getting burnt up is not to wreck , and i'm trying to do my part to make sure that doesn't happen.

i feel the best way to avoid a situation is not to help put yourself in the situation to begin with......i feel like a have alot better car control without them........ i don't get thegrip on the wheel that i want. the best way to keep from getting burnt up is not to wreck , and i'm trying to do my part to make sure that doesn't happen.

I have never liked wearing gloves neither.You should try the gloves Impact has got out now that have the fingers pre bent,they feel pretty sweet.I make my son wear gloves so I am going to buy him a pair of those.

FWIW, remember that anybody's safety equipment isn't necessarily better than nothing, by much. What I am saying is that just because it has a rating doesn't make it the best. I know for a fact that Impact was marketing gloves for top fuel/top alcohol drivers that were "more flexible and easier to drive in" with the same SFI rating as all of the competitors. Later that year, everyone that bought these gloves received a recall on them and were offered a discount on another Impact product as well as replacement gloves. I am not picking on Impact but I know this is a fact.

Point here is you generally get what you pay for! What is walking and breathing worth to you?

Crazyhorse,

I think there is a flaw in your logic. If you could control all of the cars then your logic for not wearing gloves would make sense. It is not just your car that can cause you to be in a wreck and in a fire. I did not like the gloves at first either but now that I have gotten used to them, it is not comfortable driving without them. Your hands are way too vulnerable and way too important in your everday life to put them at that much risk. I have helped another driver out of his car before. I could not have done that without gloves.

I think I understand what Shawn is saying. When I was younger I played roller hockey. Hated the gloves, could'nt feel the stick in my hand.

But after you get your knuckles hit enough you start to rethink things. So, I finally got a pair (our gloves had padding on the top of them) and cut the tips of the fingers out. Then I could feel the stick enough to be comfortable.

Reb,

I have been thinking about this more and here is what i have come up with..

When we redid the car we installed bars that protect the fuel cell and direct any hits up or down away from the cell. I have taken 2 hits in 2 years that have dented the box around the the fuel cell in a corner.. and that has bothered me.

I planned to change out the 16 gallon fuel cell anyway this offseason as i don't know how old the rubber bladder is.. Instead of putting a 16 gallon back in i will most likely put a 8 gallon or 12 gallon That will save $ there they are $20 ish cheaper. As well i am going to make a secondary Cap for the cell. In the story that i read the D-ring failed and this caused the fuel to pour out.. The 2nd-dary cap will be hinged to the Steel box on the top of the fuel cell and sealed to the box with a rubber gasket. It will be held closed with a safety "pin" on the back. This will give a 2nd layer of protection to prevent or atleast Limit fuel from escaping the cell. I also plan to put steal plate around the bottom and sides of the cell then put the cell with its steel case in. To help with impact & puncture with axles and such..

man that is a tragic story. so did they say what caused the gas cap to just come off. did it get knocked off when he rolled, or what happened there. that is pretty disturbing. our thoughts and prayers are with the family. the good thing is that he did have all the proper safety gear and his family is being really understanding with it all considering their loss. just another life taken way too soon.

Rebel,

What happens is on raceday when everybody gets out to the track, nobody wants to think about the "unthinkable", least of all the drivers. That's why I don't think it will ever happen.

I think Tommy 33's suggestion about drivers practicing rapid exits blindfolded is a good idea, and you don't have to be at the track to do it.

Rebel,

What happens is on raceday when everybody gets out to the track, nobody wants to think about the "unthinkable", least of all the drivers. That's why I don't think it will ever happen.

I think Tommy 33's suggestion about drivers practicing rapid exits blindfolded is a good idea, and you don't have to be at the track to do it.

yup you can do it at .home ..find out what bug they dont like and throw it in the car ..that will help them in tthe mock practice ///you know im always worried aboult my son getting nailed by a baseball at 100 plus when he is picthing ... its bad i worry aboult that more than what can happen in racen ...what happend to that young man has changed the way i look at safety and what freaky things could happen when haveing fun ...thow you cant control every thing .. you can do the best that can be done to limit the damage ...another thing someone hasnt looked at i suppose ..im not an exspert on that typ of car ..nore on any ..but it always made me wonder how tough it maybe to get out of that car .seeing the window clearence always seems to small ..is there a mandatory window opening ..his dad said terry had his belts undone and the window net undone aswell ..not saying if that had been one problem ..

Archived