OK pavement guys....whats up...think you're immune here?

rebelracewriter

It's strikes me as sad, that after my tyrade about safety, few of you have even replied, let alone say they were now considering big changes. Are you that certain of your safety/racecar safety or already have enough in place to save you???

Just take a look at all the replies from the dirt message boards......makes me wonder....... :(

http://elbowsup.donutsdesigns.com/phpbb/vi...pic.php?t=12870

http://65.36.191.73/showthread.php?t=51033

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reb.. Give us some credit here.. We have changed alot of stuff on my car... and you make valid points..

I wear a 2 layer fire suit ever night... hot but well "comfortible to the mind"

We already planned fuel cell changes, and battery mount changes in the offseason..

Like Chase point taken.. just wasn't going to make a sunday soap out of something already so sad..

reb. i agree with chase. I am a dirt guy and also part of elbowsup. when you first asked for prayers I sent them on both sites, but when the new came that ryan didn't make it there was no words that could express the feeling :( that i had so thats why you saw no other post from me. and then when you went on your "tyrade" There was nothing I could add that would make your point better than you did. so instead I grabbed my list of parts to buy for my modified and added and changed the priority of what i am going to buy. I also took some time looking at my chassis to see what I can do to make it safer. And last I thought long and hard afterwards about what my wife and 2 and a half year old little girls would do if anything happened to me. as my post always say I believe that racing is a sickness because now matter what we do one of the hardest thing to do is QUITE. I don't want to (or just can't) quite. so don't think that your "tyrade" went without thought because it hasn't I just believe that most people took the time to look at their cars rather that type, complain, or moan about the price or that it won't happen to them. your words hit home with me. But it is sad that it takes something like what happened to remind us that this sport is dangerous. this is also why all helmet copies have that disclaimer (from simpson website)

WARNING

Motorsports are dangerous. No warranty or representation is made as to product's ability to protect the user from any injury or death. The user assumes that risk. The preceding was presented with the information available at the time of writing and is the opinion of the writer. It is not meant to be comprehensive or is it endorsed by SIMPSON. For compete information, contact your sanctioning body

I think the warning sayes it all!

Reb, if there's one thing I've figured out about race car drivers over the years, it's that they almost universally avoid talking about these matters openly. It doesn't mean they're not listening nor paying attention though. THAT I know!

Example: (if I can make this link work) Look at the lack of response I got to a post on this subject on here over 2 1/2 years ago.

LINK

(WHEN YOU GET THERE CLICK ON PIC 9 OF 34.)

reb i took a look at one of our cars today .its at my house ...the electric fuel pump will be moved ..not one wire will be in the back ..and see aboult a better fuel cell ..the one we have is a racen tank .but its old ...and pay alot more attention at all our fueling system and see how to improve it ...... you know how racers are they dont want to talk aboult this kind of stuff that has happend ..but you can be assured that all that have read you ..are doing the same as i am .......

reb did you want people to respond? i didn't take it as a question.

3 yrs. ago i had an on the job accident that just about killed me. i was told i prolly shouldn't do this anymore , so safety is a big concern of ours. i think you are still upset about what you saw and that is understandable , but you are asking people to tell you that they are making changes .......maybe there are not any to be made or those that have found issues are just fixing them.

sorry you had to witness that bro.

3 layer suit , nomex underwear , heatshield shoes and heal cuff , and the only superstock i know of with a fire supression system.....but to be honest i do not wear gloves for my own personal safety beliefs.

bad stuff happens J. ,,,,and sometimes all the safety measures in the world can not prevent it.

- that is chase , cary's brother.

reb i took a look at one of our cars today .its at my house ...the electric fuel pump will be moved ..not one wire will be in the back ..and see aboult a better fuel cell ..the one we have is a racen tank .but its old ...and pay alot more attention at all our fueling system and see how to improve it ...... you know how racers are they dont want to talk aboult this kind of stuff that has happend ..but you can be assured that all that have read you ..are doing the same as i am .......

why would you run an electric pump on a racecar anyway? car flips, engine quits, driver knocked out, fuel pump still pumping....... not a good safety issue.... just my opinion..

why would you run an electric pump on a racecar anyway? car flips, engine quits, driver knocked out, fuel pump still pumping....... not a good safety issue.... just my opinion..

Should only be allowed with an oil pressure cut-off.

its one of those deals where you know the danger and what could happen, you try not to think about it all that much but man it sure hits home no matter where it happens. you do all you can do and by golly please don't take a financial shortcut on safety. we all hurt and grieve when we lose a fellow racing person or when a fellow racing person is injured but it is probably not something most people acn find the "right" way to address it. I am one good example of how family can keep you involved and back you away from this, my little buddy saw me blow an engine @ THR somewhere around '04 and the small fire scared her like nothing ever had, then another hard hit on the fence @ THR; wasn't long after that I went to limited racing if any. bottom line, we can do all we want but there is someone with much more control of any of this, you just pray and keep loving the rush..

well we used to run a stock pump .. the first three races we ran our tps car at kyle . turning 8000 plus rpms . the stock pump could not hold up ..and cost us atliest one win ..we were in the lead near the end of the race when the motor started shutting down ..this only happend at kyle ..so against my better judgment we went to a electric pump and have not had that problem after ..i still dont like them but have to run it .now the new block in the car does not have a place for manual pump ..and i got lazy and never hooked into a oil pressue switch .i know very stupid ..the one thing i over looked ...and in a haste we put it in the back of the car .again another stupid thing ..so ill take anyones punches on being this stupid ...the car will not hit the track again until properly taken care of .....

Reb, I read all your posts on safety, and you stay on top of it. Sometimes its good to remind us of something we might overlook, thanks. I am recovering from back surgery I had earlier this year so yes, the safety issue is serious around my place.

Reb, Your words did not go unheard. Safety is always an issue, you cannot do what we do and think that nothing is going to happen to you. If you jeopardize your safety, you do not need to be doing any racing.

I'm sure alot of folks understood how you are feeling, it is hard to see anyone lose their life doing what they love to do. You made a couple of points that I looked at on my car, for that I say Thanx. I am looking forward to this last weekend of the 07 season. Let's go Racing. Thanx Again Reb. Lenny66 B)

I heard you reb.. There will be more that make more checks this weekend because of it.

Thanks for understanding guys........I guess I posted with my heart, not my head.

I'd just hate lose anyone else from my racing family.

There's nothing wrong with that. Things spoken from the heart can have the power to engage and move people in ways that purely logical arguments do not. Caring is obvious in your post, and respect is obvious in the replies. No need to apologize.

Reb, I was there and saw the horror and shock on everyones face. I pitted next to Ryan and his family and got to know them in 3 short days. I will never be able to shed this image. I think anyone that saw this will be changed forever. I too plan to to make changes in the off season. Reb, I appreciate you putting this out on a public forum for the ones that may have not wittnessed the accident. You have made a difference, but no matter how hard you try, still there are a few that won't heed the warnings. thanks Reb.

Reb,I told my brother your story(he don't come on TXSPD) and both dirt cars are recieving fuel system updates and a fire extinguisher.On the LM side it already has a full fire supression system so don't know what else I can do to the car.The driver is getting either a new 3layer suit or a new 2layer with nomex undies.I have seen 2 drivers killed in my racing career and don't even like thinking about it much less talking about it,especially since it's my son that is now in the car driving.Racing is a dangerous sport thats just the way it is!!!!!!

Landlord,

Check with the company you are getting the suit from about the safety. I was told a two layer along with the underwear is better than a three layer. Do not take my opinion because I am not an expert in this field but check into it so you know you have the best.

I hope you are right after I checked the price of a 3 layer!!!!! :blink::lol::D:)

I don't know what the deal is with the I.M.C.A. rules on safety(or lack there of)but I have been preaching to my brother for a few years now about all the stuff they DON"T have on the cars and all he can say is they don't require it in the rule book.Someone needs to take a hard look into this and make some changes.

Archived