crates killing slm all across the country

ups88john

damn those crates, 31 at opp, showed up in the heart of racing country, 14 slm showed up for 7500 to win. must be the crates killing the slm, i finally agree with everyone, those darn crates. im not buying the excueses about cars not being ready ect ect. there was a asa(crate motor class for those that dont know) at hickory and 31 still showed up at opp. so if everyone is saving their cars for the derby, there should be 100 slm there. its a sad day when 31 plm show up for 3000 to win and 14 slm show up for 7500 to win. i guess the plm will be the demise of the slm and tracks will shut down all across the country. good thing opp had plm, otherwise it would of been a boring show.

big john

John - Think about it - CRA Series had a show at Winchester last week-end, Pensacola and Mobile had a show last week-end The PASS South started 32 SLM week-end before last and finished 9 cars - There is alot of torn up equipment right now and people are trying to get ready for the Big 3 finale's All American, Mason-Dixon and Derby This is the first year Opp has ran the Alabama 200 and just like Paul said it will continue to grow as the word is spread, just like the Rattler this year they ran last chance races and sent people home. There is no question there are many more crate late models out there than there are SLM - The problem I have is it does not matter if it is Opp, Houston, Hickory or whereever - it seems it becomes a wreck fest, it is a good class to jump into because it is very cost effective, but my opinion and this is my opinion, it has a duke mixture of drivers. Just like I posted yesterday it might have been a small class of 14 cars but those 14 cars were some heavy hitters and great racers. What would happen if you added 10 more inexperience drivers to that field? I bet that there will be at least 40 or more SLM at the All American, At the Mason Dixon and at The Derby sure there might be more ASA cars or prolate models show up but it really doesn't matter they will only start 32 cars.

I agree! Most races for the SLM's at Opp this year had good fields, and the Blizzard series had 39,37,36,28 and 29 SLM's in the pits for those races. The PASS South series has had upper 20 something firlds as well. Usually the AA 400 has between 60 and 70 Super Latemodels as does the Snowball. The meltdown will probably have over 40. In my opinuion, I feel like Super latemodel racing has picked up in the South East over the last couple of years.

The way I look at it is that track put up a hell of a purse for what? I know slm guys have their own agenda but if it was me I might mark that 1 off my schedule next year. Especially when you can pay half the purse for pro late models and still get a great number of cars which makes the track more money. Maybe the fans didn't want to see all the wrecks Saturday night but I highly doubt they enjoyed Sundays show more.

It sounds funny to say a bunch of slm guys tore up equipment and probably weren't ready but pro late models seem to always have a wreck fest. If that were true half of the 31 that were there would be making repairs or waiting for a big race coming up.

John and I have talked about this for awhile...I never understood why some people have been so against crates and pro late model racing. It seems to be doing good.

I don't dislike the Pro's, but the Supers put on a much better show most of the time. I know casey has been really on his game at Opp and Mobile which has resulted in some boring races, but really this was the first race this year that had a poor car count there. Usually there are atleast over 20 which is fine for a 3/8 mile track. I bet anything that the rattler will have over 30 in March. By the Way casey 19, I'm really glad to see casey doing so well! ;)

The way I look at it is that track put up a hell of a purse for what? I know slm guys have their own agenda but if it was me I might mark that 1 off my schedule next year. Especially when you can pay half the purse for pro late models and still get a great number of cars which makes the track more money. Maybe the fans didn't want to see all the wrecks Saturday night but I highly doubt they enjoyed Sundays show more.

It sounds funny to say a bunch of slm guys tore up equipment and probably weren't ready but pro late models seem to always have a wreck fest. If that were true half of the 31 that were there would be making repairs or waiting for a big race coming up.

John and I have talked about this for awhile...I never understood why some people have been so against crates and pro late model racing. It seems to be doing good.

Brad: I am just curious what team are you with? Because I do not think I know you?

I am sorry you thought the SLM show was boring, you must not of had a driver in the show that you were really pulling for, or was it a driver you were pulling against? It could be a 6 car race like they have at THR with the Pro's and I enjoy it because I am generally pulling for a particular driver that I want to Win I could care less if there is 6 or 16 cars in the pack I watch the race and the driver I am pulling for - And I am sure as long as the Dykes have been in the business he is very well aware of which show bring his FANS - you might mention to Tim Bryant to mark the snowball off the agenda because he will have a pit full of pro late models and modifieds and that will make him more money than paying the winner of the Derby $25,000 - I think it is rude of you to get on this forum and talk about how boring the Alabama 200 Race was when this was Mr and Mrs Dykes first year and they are trying very hard to build a car count and fan base for next year - I don't think anyone said anything about being against crate and pro late models - I just think it is more of an entry level class - however you did openly voice your opinion about the SLM Class, and Sunday's show.

And Snowball - Thanks for writing Casey - I am still working on him for December - He saw Tim and Dan over at Opp and they asked him about the Derby!

not taking anything away from the slm, they put on a show at the snowball derby like no other, and not to take anything away from casey, he did one hell of a job putting the rest of the field in his rear view mirror, but come on, 14 cars. i congratulate casey on his championship at mobile and opp, he earned it. the race sunday was boring, and i was pulling for casey, but he flat had them boys covered, they knew when they pulled up friday that they were racing for second. only having 14 cars is not caseys or anybodys fault, the cars just plain didnt show up, whatever the reason.

good job casey and team on the champ(s) you got this year, hopefully next year we will see you in a arca or busch ride.

big john

There is no doubt in my mind that Casey would do well in ARCA or Busch if he latched on to a decent ride. I sure hope we will be watching him on TV next year. Big John, why did your face turn red when I asked your bunch about the Waffle House? :D Enjoyed talking to both Alexander crews. Good luck at the Derby.

Brad: I am just curious what team are you with? Because I do not think I know you?

Alexander's invited me to go and help out...I did because I knew I would have a good time. I don't think I know you, but I know Casey and Glen from working with USRA.

I am sorry you thought the SLM show was boring, you must not of had a driver in the show that you were really pulling for, or was it a driver you were pulling against?

Our group was pulling for Casey...we would have been rooting Chris on had they been in the race all for Texas boys! Wasn't rooting against any of them because I don't know who they are. The 1st 16 laps were entertaining.

I think it is rude of you to get on this forum and talk about how boring the Alabama 200 Race was when this was Mr and Mrs Dykes first year and they are trying very hard to build a car count and fan base for next year

I paid 15 dollars to get in and thats how I felt...I expected more, as I'm sure the owners did. I don't know the owners but have heard a lot of good about them. I feel sorry that they worked so hard to put on a good show and its almost like they got disrespected. Thats just my opinion, but they put up good money and worked hard and the cars didn't come.

I don't think anyone said anything about being against crate and pro late models

People have been dogging them on these forums for a couple years now.

Archived