Ja Lane wins TPS race

Ja Lane wins TPS race at THR

Thunder Hill Raceway, Kyle, Texas (September 15, 2006)

By: Neil Upchurch, Texas Pro Sedans – Race & Admin Director

The Race Report for this event will be posted and available this week on - http://www.texasprosedans.com/

Further details about this event are contained in the Official TPS Race Results and TPS Driver Championship Point Standings which are listed below:

OFFICIAL RACE RESULTS

Thunder Hill Raceway Race # 8 - September 15, 2007

Finish Car # r Driver/Hometown Car Type/Engine CC Qual Time Laps

1 85 r Ja Lane/Houston, TX Ford Focus/2210 16.871 25

2 20 Sergio Hexsel/Live Oak, TX VW Rabbit/2042 17.502 25

3 26 Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338-arca 17.662 25

4 48 Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX VW Scirocco/1648 17.952 25

5 16 r Bill Stipe/Baytown, TX VW Sedan/2332 18.555 25

6 70 r Mike Merrell/Kingsland, TX VW Scirocco/1690 19.244 25

7 55 John Miesen/Marion, TX VW Sedan/2332 18.904 24

8 94 Harlon Hatcher/Converse, TX VW Rabbit/1784 19.446 23

9 71 Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX VW Scirocco/1780 dnt 22

10 50 r Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX VW Rabbit/1870 18.227 20

11 56 r Jason Krueger/Seguin, TX VW Sedan/1835 20.328 11

12 24 r Joshua Freeman/Universal City, TX Ford Probe/2338 18.840 3

13 97 Kevin Hallman/Cibolo, TX Ford Mustang/2338 20.687 1

Feature Race - Margin of Victory 0.85 second. Race leader: car #85 led laps 1 - 25

#85's time of 16.871 is not a new TPS/THR track record. 1 bonus point awarded to Ja Lane, fastest no-record time.

dna - did not arrive

dnt - did not time

r - eligible for 2007 TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

Penalty notes: #94 Qual time disallowed, % overweight infraction. #71 & 50 penalized to rear of grid for missing meeting.

TPS thanks sponsors:

Buggy Warehouse of San Antonio thru: Steve Foster

Richard & Bea Villanueva of San Antonio

Nelson Skinner, Attorney at Law of San Antonio

Randy Larsen Air Cooled Race Engines, Wimberely

TPS thanks Thunder Hill Raceway for hosting this 8th TPS race of the 2007 season.

TEXAS PRO SEDANS 2007 REMAINING SCHEDULE (Subject to Change, Additions, Deletions)

Race Rain Track Remarks

Sep 29 9/30 Thunder Hill Raceway- Time Trials, 32 Lap Feature Race @ THR "Spectacular"

Nov 10 n/a 2007 TPS Awards Dinner - 6:00pm - Carlos Kelly's Restaurant, 6846 Hwy 87 East, San Antonio

For additional information about TPS - please visit: http://www.texasprosedans.com/

2007 POINTS

Position Car # r Driver Hometown -- Point Total

1 20 Sergio Hexsel/Live Oak, TX 118

2 85 r Ja Lane/Houston, TX 107

3t 48 Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX 83

3t 27 Bill LaBarge/Bryan, TX 83

5 70 r Mike Merrell/Kingsland, TX 71

6 26 Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi, TX 54

7 55 John Miesen/Marion, TX 50

8 24 r Joshua Freeman/Universal City, TX 47

9 56 r Jason Krueger/Seguin, TX 38

10 50 r Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX 32

11 71 Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX 29

12t 94 Harlon Hatcher/Converse, TX 25

12t 78 Adam McCosh/Cibolo,TX 25

14 18 Lanny Young/Kingsland, TX 23

15 74 John Wasek/Austin, TX 16

16t 46r r Mark Rahn/San Antonio 15

16t 23 r J.J. Osburn III/Converse, TX 15

16t 46r r Mark Rahn/San Antonio 15

19 22 Harry Osburn Jr./New Braunfels, TX 12

20 41 Tom Johnson/Kingsland, TX 11

20t 21 r Steve Cooper/Tuttle, OK 11

22t 1 r Mark Pinson/Wichita Falls, TX 10

22t 10 Donnie Moore/Hutto, TX 10

24t 16 r Bill Stipe/Baytown, TX 9

24t 66 Ariel Arredondo/Kingsville, TX 9

26t 29 Rico Gutierrez/Corpus Christi, TX 6

26t 14 r Will Robertson/Corpus Christi, TX 6

28 11 r Steven Carpenter/Corpus Christi, TX 4

29t 28 r Kostin Suhre/Marion, TX 3

29t 72 Candi Hogan/Cedar Park, TX 3

31 97 Kevin Hallman/Cibolo, TX 2

32 4t Joshua Tuttle/San Antonio, TX 1

33 01 Mike O'Connor/Weatherford, TX 0

34 19 Lloyd Hart/San Antonio, TX 0

35 84 r Price Allen/San Antonio, TX 0

36 38 Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX 0

Drivers without points:

2 Jack Dishman/Devine, TX

3 r Jesse Sandoval Jr./Corpus Christi

5 r Gage Guevara/Corpus Christi, TX

12 Joe Moloney/San Antonio, TX

38 Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX

77 G.B. Carter/Harlingen, TX

88 Nellie Kelley/Corpus Christi, TX

95 r Shawn Bourland/Corpus Christi, TX

www.texasprosedans.com

r - eligible for 2007 TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

Official TPS Results & Point Standings Certified by:

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Congrats Ja on the win and to Mary Ann and the THR crew on a super Professsional show to be broadcast and sent to our Military overseas . Being retired A.F. it means alot to get the taste of home when deployed and as usual it was a top notch show so if you missed the dvd will be out to see the action as well . Thanks Mary Ann and Jerry and I will be back on the 28th with his new Pro Mod to join in the fun Thanks Rainbow Man and Dechert Motorsports

Congrats Ja on the win. That car seemed untouchable!!

Dittos! It is a NEXTEL car that runs with TPS. :rolleyes:

Go back in the forums a bit and you will find a post where your's truly, and others, were involved in a rather heated discussion about the TPS rules as they applied to the Fords. At that time I predicted, without any hesitation, that the first team that put together a Ford with a stock head and OEM frame to take advantage of all the rules allowances that were available to that particular Ford configuration would be the car to beat in the future.

Cha Ching... Hello Ja Lane!

Now, that being said, I think TPS teams would be wise to keep their eye on the VW Sedan built and driven by Bill Stipe. Am I the only one who saw some real potential in that bad boy? Once he gets the handling figured out, that car will be a winner. With the engine/carb combination currently permitted on the air-cooled engines, Bill should be able to more than hold his own with the front runners.

Nick

Congrats Ja on the win. That car seemed untouchable!!

Dittos! It is a NEXTEL car that runs with TPS. :rolleyes:

Go back in the forums a bit and you will find a post where your's truly, and others, were involved in a rather heated discussion about the TPS rules as they applied to the Fords. At that time I predicted, without any hesitation, that the first team that put together a Ford with a stock head and OEM frame to take advantage of all the rules allowances that were available to that particular Ford configuration would be the car to beat in the future.

Cha Ching... Hello Ja Lane!

Now, that being said, I think TPS teams would be wise to keep their eye on the VW Sedan built and driven by Bill Stipe. Am I the only one who saw some real potential in that bad boy? Once he gets the handling figured out, that car will be a winner. With the engine/carb combination currently permitted on the air-cooled engines, Bill should be able to more than hold his own with the front runners.

Nick

Is Ja's car built on an OEM frame? I just figured it was a tube frame car.

All Texas Pro Sedans have been inspected and re-inspected by several TPS Inspectors to determine frame and weight requirement designations:

OEM or Tube

After market or OEM head

These factors determine 57%, 56% or 55% left side maximum and minimum weight requirement for each car.

All cars are then tagged on the windshield for all TPS contestants to view.

All cars are then weighed frequently to assure compliance.

Neil Upchurch

Texas Pro Sedans

Racer61: What is "a traditional pro-sedan"?

In 32 years of Texas Pro Sedans racing, we have had just about every 4 cylinder car ever made. So I ask the question back to you, "what is a traditional pro-sedan"?

Thus far in the 2007 season, the following drivers and car makes have won TPS races:

#20 Sergio Hexsel - VW Rabbit/2042cc - FWD- 3 races

#85 Ja Lane - Ford Focus/2210cc - RWD - 3 races

#27 Bill LaBarge - BMW/2085cc - RWD - 1 race

Thanks for watching the TPS race - Neil

it was fast, but it looked more like a minature late-model than a traditional pro-sedan.

If good looks win races, Jody Wayne Stuart should win 'em all... LOL

We all know that a nice clean body looks great, but unless we're talking about slick, high-downforce aero bodies, they don't add much speed, if any.

The secret to that car is that he and his team read the TPS carefully and built the car according to those rules and is now kicking butt.

So now we have a situation developing where one of the Fords (Ja's) is clearly much faster than the other Fords, and everyone else for that matter. Do you slow down all the Fords in order to slow Ja down? If so, what about all the other Ford guys that have been lobbying for rules breaks for the past few years? And if I'm not mistaken, Ja's engine has no aftermarket head unlike some of the other more competitive Fords. Or do you slow Ja down but not the other Fords? I think Ja would have a legitmate gripe if that happened.

A bit of recent history: A few years ago, Leroy Farmer built a Ford Mustang that proceded to do much the same thing that Ja is doing. The big difference, of course, is that Leroy was a very seasoned Super LM driver with years and years of racing at SAS under his belt. Ja, on the other hand, is going through a driving "learning curve" since this is his first year of stock car competition. The solution then was to put restrictor plates on the aftermarket Ford heads which seemed to even things up for a while. But I doubt that same solution would work now because the rest of the Fords are not quite as fast as the FWD VWs or the Ja Lane Ford and have only recently won rules concessions in their favor.

Frankly, I don't see any solution that will make everyone happy at this point.

Nick

i say dont slow jay down ...finaly have a ford that has not had any restrictions done to slow it down .[ YET ]...kinda funny nick ..you say he has done his home work and and yes they did ..i will give them that and seems the driver is getting alot better ...... you have never said any other ford that i know of has done thier home work ..yep maybe THE other fords ARE just alittle under the gun now ..but that my friend was the cause and effect of the fords of the past ...anyone building a new ford has got it made now .. ...dishmans ...randy lee ...lalo ..us .. and any other ford teams from the past has set the stage for anyone comeing in with know how ..can be fast ... when all the other fords took advantage of the rules ..and beat the system ..got to fast ..well i dont have to remind you of the fact they got added wieght ..restictor plates and any other things like left side wieght pinalty.s ... ....... and the motor they have .wasnt around or rules would not permit it at the time ... so when you say what you say aboult this team ... it makes it look like they are the only team .thats done thier homework .....so i say this ..... put our car down to a fare wieght ..not 2572 or what ever it is ..down to something more reallistic and let it rip ....... besides i would love toget more laps from our tires ....... dont give me well you need to set up the car better ..tirewear isnt bad across the board ...just alot of wieght .. or does that not hurt much ......this is not a bash . just an observation .......

OT,

You want a weight break? Simple. Put a smaller engine in it. That's what Ja Lane's team did. The TPS rules allow 1.1 pounds per cubic centemeter of displacement. How much fairer could it get?

Nick

He is also 200 lbs lighter for OEM cylinder head, his weight is about .95 lbs per cc.

Sergio

OT,

You want a weight break? Simple. Put a smaller engine in it. That's what Ja Lane's team did. The TPS rules allow 1.1 pounds per cubic centemeter of displacement. How much fairer could it get?

Nick

He is also 200 lbs lighter for OEM cylinder head, his weight is about .95 lbs per cc.

Sergio

I guess I just didn't want to get into the whole TPS rule book... but, yes, weight breaks are provided for OEM heads and OEM frames under the TPS rules. The point is that they read the rules and built a car that was predicted to dominate.

Anyone else could do the same.

Nick

Congrats to Ja on his win, he isn't the only fast TPS Ford out there, if I can get this monkey off my back I think I can give him a run for his money, my car has run track record times in practice, with less knowledge than his "team" has. Just to think If I had someone working on my car that knows what his dad does. :D

Hey Neil, I wasnt complaining, I was just saying it doesnt look like a "stock car", more like a sheet metal covered latemodel. I'm actually partial to the vee-dubs. Any one who can make a bug make high speed left-turns has my appreciation. JMO :D

Nick, I agree 100% with you.

My car is all OEM and it is 1.05 lbs per cc versus .95 lbs OEM Ford.

When I built my car the rules did not include 200 lbs breaks.

If I were to start now, it would be a Ford or air VW (no brainier)!!!!

Sadly money will dictate how fast you can go, no longer a budget

or cheap way to go racing.

Too many VW parts not enough money to buy a Ford! LOL.

it boils down .to when you built your car ..rules change ... we will never build another car ..nore will we start over and build another smaller motor for the wieght thing ..cost to much .. we wanted to build a smaller motor in 2005 .but we would have had to build a new car to go with it ..neil was not going to change the left side rule for us then ..so the car would have had to wiegh close to 2300 pounds just to make left side ...it aint worth it ..i know we havent raced our car in tps .this year so who knows what it would have done .. partly cuz we didnt feel like it.and partly the wieght rule ..i would of done some adjustments to it . . i wished it was just change motors and your good .... alot of classes have died cuz of cost changes maybe if i win the lotto ill do that ,,,not .... .. anyway the car is sitting im my garage .. for the winter .. the other car is on jack stands for the winter ...what we do next year ..well who knows ....anyway everyone have a safe last race ..

Steven: You aren't "starting something".

The answer is - the same way #24 Josh Freeman's Ford Probe was originally a Pinto. It was once the #66 that Ariel Arredondo owned. The change has been OK by TPS Rules for years.

Are you going to race in the $1,000 to win TPS race at THR on Sept 29? You are still a member. I mailed you a Race Bulletin and Entry Form.

Good purses like this one are rare and should be participated in to insure that we have more of them in the future.

Neil Upchurch

Texas Pro Sedans

Archived