Pretty Cool Website

Josh42

Neat cars on that site.

The thing about cars back then, they were readily identifiable. None of the copy-cat jelly bean looking stuff these days.

Here are a couple of pics of rides I had.

The first I had was a truck, a black 59 Ford F-100 that had a later model 289 stuck in it. Nothing else in Guadalupe county looked like it, the black was more flat than gloss, and the mirrors and wheels were spray krylon white. There was a Raybestos brake decal in the back window covering up a bullet hole, but that is another story for another time.

It looked like the one here, only black and a short bed.

My second ride is a 67 Firebird that looks like the one here, color and all. I got it about age 17, still have it.

post-21-1189825848_thumb.jpg

post-21-1189825978_thumb.jpg

Cool site Josh.

Cool idea Tom. I'd like to see on here what everyones first three cars were. That should be fun.

Mine: 1950 Ford, 4 door, flathead V-8, Beige, Turned it upside down on Brodie Lane, outside Austin.

1964 Ford Falcon 2 dr Coupe, Red, 260 V-8. Left for active duty, told my dad to sell it.

1967 Merc Cougar XR7, 289 V-8, absolutely wore it out driving between Austin & San Marcos daily

for 4 years. (similar to the ones shown)

post-1274-1189831257_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1189831307_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1189831350_thumb.jpg

1st Car: 49 Plymouth I bought with a friend while we were Juniors in High School (1961). Huge back seat, but the seat was made with horse hair and would give you a wicked bad rug burn if you weren't careful. Need I say more? We used to take turns spinning it out on icy back roads in the winter and letting it spin into the big snow bank at the end of the dead end street. The only trouble was one time we hit the fire hydrant that we forgot was there...Made a nice ice skating rink after all that water froze... LOL

2nd Car: 55 baby-blue Plymouth coupe six-cyl with Moon hub caps... Spark plugs on top. That car would get up and go. Traded it in for:

3rd Car: 57 Chevy two-tone blue. Wish I still had that one. Had what was called a "power pack" and dual exhausts. That thing mysteriously went through some rear tires, but was one of the fastest cars running up and down the main drag in Pittsfield, Mass. in 62, the year I graduated from High School. I ran that thing until I broke the tranny at Lebanon Valley dragstrip one Sunday afternoon.

Nick

1964 Ford Falcon 2 dr Coupe, Red, 260 V-8.

A high school friend had one of those, a red 260 Falcon Sprint. Remember the gold valve covers? I'd like to have one.....

I willl not reveal what my third car was. It was a pile of drunken goat crap when I bought it (new), and was worse when I unloaded it. I would hate for anyone to know I was ever a big enough idiot to buy that particular car.

my first car .. 65 lemans .326 auto .... second car 67 ply vip ..383 .. fast ...3rd car 66 gto ....4th car truck ..65 international ..342 ..fastest car 68 charger 440 police interciptor '''' burn rubber at 75 miles an hour ..next car 59 chevy 6 banger .ugly car torn up seats so bad the springs were showing ..but that car was a girl getter lol ... 66 corvair ..anyone remember those .....one more car ...63 falcon ...someone stole that cAR and my 59 ...

1964 Ford Falcon 2 dr Coupe, Red, 260 V-8.

A high school friend had one of those, a red 260 Falcon Sprint. Remember the gold valve covers? I'd like to have one.....

I willl not reveal what my third car was. It was a pile of drunken goat crap when I bought it (new), and was worse when I unloaded it. I would hate for anyone to know I was ever a big enough idiot to buy that particular car.

what was it a vega .....i know a place in three rivers that i used to deliver too ..had a few falcon's ..for sale ..makes me wonder if they still have them ..

The first three I didn't own, but they were my "spiritual" first three cars, as I both learned to drive and double-dated in them. My buddy Jack Mallory's folks had a '49 Buick coupe and a '53 Cadillac, my folks had a '55 Chrysler Newport hardtop. We got the use of one of Jack's folks' cars most often, as they had two and my folks only had one. I'd been driving the Mallory cars since the fall of 1957 and got my license in the spring of '58. We moved to Germany in the fall of that same year (taking the Chrysler with us for some reason known only to my dad). When I came back here to go to college we weren't allowed to have cars, so I didn't. My first car was actually a Honda motorcycle, a little beast called a "Benley Touring" model

Real first car? A dark (green? blue? black?) 1952 Ford with zero compression in one cylinder; pretty fast for a V7. Second car, a brand new 1966 red Austin-Healey Sprite Mk. III I bought for a total of $2120. Kept it five years, took some 50 trophies and four championships and had a ball. My wife kept it after the divorce (and eventually traded it in on a new Fiat 850 Spider). Third, a refrigeator-white 1961 Rambler station wagon, three-on-the-tree but with air conditioning and power steering, inherited from my mom. Don't remember what became of it, but after that I've owned so many I couldn't put them in order.

My 1st three cars in order were,56 Chevy 2dr w/ 283 punched to a 301 fitted with MT L60's,had 2 bucket seats,no back seats,just carpet,4 speed,double pump holley,hooker headers,full race cam,12.5 to 1,one bad mutha.Was a guys drag car I bought and drove on the street.I was 15 yrs old,had no driver license and every cop in town drove buy my house to check to see if it was in the drive way.If not,they went looking for it.Car came with a tow bar that mounted to the front bumper.Carried it in the trunk, came in handy when I threw the driveshaft out doing hi RPM launches at the redlite by Wolfman's Speed Shop on HiWay190 in Killeen racing Army dudes from Ft Hood..At 16, I had a '67 Olds 442 painted like a Hurst Olds,was burgandy with gold hood and trunk stripes,had the red wall tires,factory wheels,4 speed hurst,beautiful car,a top ending,hi mph car.This one cost me my drivers license for a few months in high school,the state took em away.To many tickets.My 3rd one in 1974 was a '69 Z28,Factory 302.Only thing I did was install Hooker Headers and Lakewood Traction Bars.I stole this car from a G.I. at Ft Hood.He wanted to sell it to me but I waited till the day he was leaving for overseas and bought it for $1500.Lo miles,not a scratch and he had to catch a flight in 3 hours to Germany.Told him it was all I had and he took it.I even gave him a ride to the airport.Bad thing about it,a couple months after I bought it,a guy told me to hang onto it and one day it would be worth a fortune.But being young and dumb back in the mid 70's,I had a guy offer me 5 times what I paid and I took it.I kick myself today seeing what that 69 Z28 could be worth.I should of listened to that older guy back then.But I sit now almost 40 years later and think, there were alot of things I should of listened too and didn't.I find my pics of these creatures in my collection,I'll scan em and post em after I cry a little.

1st car: 1958 Ford Victorian Club (Canandian built Fairlane) 2 door hardtop. 223ci. Three-on-the-Tree. Bought it off my Brother when He was in Viet Nam. Suffered too many Iowa winters. Frame literally rusted through...Similar to this one, except a hardtop:

ford5801.jpg

2nd car: 1961 Ford Starliner fastback. origionally a 352 car IIRC. Had no engine in it. Put the six from the '58 in it. Eventually sold it for $25 and an 8-Track tape player (Kids, ask your parents what this is...). I'm such a moron...

61large.jpg

3rd car was a 1966 Ford Custom 500, four door. 240 C-4. What this car lacked in the looks department, it more than made up for with its lack of performance....

8816_1.JPG

brother had a 69 cougar ... 390 six pack ...traded a bike for it ...he borrowed some brand new firestone brig' tires just to see how it ran ...he went through all four gears and wiped out those tires ..i think he only moved five feet .....lol my other brother was not happy ..got tires back bald ..... he never got the title and junked it ..got the shaft ....

Budman-Buddy of mine bought a 1964 Falcon Sprint convertible, four-on-the-floor and, my recollection, a 289. Four months after he bought it the Mustang was introduced and no one wanted a Falcon Sprint... I don't think he ever forgave Ford for that.

The one my friend had was a barn find, he bought it for about $500. (For the Pan American vets here, it was Bobby Caulfield).

We rebuilt the engine with a JC Whitney kit, he got a used cam and a set of headers from some S.A. drag racer he knew, and after some cutting and bending, we managed to get the headers to fit.

Was a fun cheap car, we raced a lot of the punks driving their dad's car. Would just barely beat them, so we could try it again and take another few dollars from them. Don't think he had a grand in the car, I wanted to choke him when he horsetraded it. (I wanted first dibs on it).

I even made 5 or 10 dollars some nights, if whoevever we were racing broke something, I'd offer to tow them home with my old black Ford. When they balked at the price, I'd tell them to walk to whever and call a tow truck. A sawbuck was quickly produced.

(You youngsters here need to remember this was the mid 70's, 10 dollars was significant. It was a tank of gas with change left over.)

TQ, If that Sprint your Buddy bought was a '64, it had a 260. The 289 was offered in the Falcon starting in '65.

The 260 is the same family as the 289, just a smaller bore, 3.8 inches versus the 289's 4.0. They shared the same crank stroke, 2.87 inches.

Archived