Empty seats @ NA$CAR/California

rebelracewriter

Just now watching the race on DVR, wow lots of people dressed up as empty seats. Kinda reminds me of the fall NA$CAR race at TMS------lots of empty seats.

And these tracks "NEEDED" a second date.......WHY? So they dump real tracks, like N. Wilksboro, and drop races at Darlington.....for what? Empty seats? <_<

Oh wait, these are REAL LOOKING race cars and not ugly cars. LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO

After seeing NASCAR discontinue the Southern 500 at Darlington there is nothing they can do now that will surprise me. Tradition means nothing at all to the people that run NASCAR.........Now I hear rumors that NASCAR might move the Daytona 500 to November so that it will be the last race of the year instead of the first.........NASCAR is trying their best to pattern everything they do after the stick and ball sports.

NASCAR has always patterned everything they do after the stick-and-ball sports. It's why they are so successful. I wonder if a grandstand only 80 percent full at one of the new tracks actually has more people in it than a full grandstand at one of the older tracks.

None of which is to say that Brian France knows what he's doing...

Perfection can get boring.I think it's catching up with the sport now.I think most people that have been watching the sport more than fifteen years can tell you what I mean by that.

-rarely a blown engine

-rarely a mess up on pit road

-drivers are afraid to tough each other on the track

-race to get in the chase instead of winning(for most)

-three or four teams actually winning

-the cars look exactly the same from the grandstand(even with binoculars)

-more and more drivers act like robots....and if they don't....they empty their wallet

Are there any records ever being broken anymore?That used to grab fan's attention.

When we would see a wreck in the past,it would almost take your breath away.The shock and awww is almost all gone now.With all of the safety advances made,some of the fear(relates to excitement)is gone.THAT IS NOT TO SAY THE SAFE CARS ARE A BAD THING AND IF THERE IS NEVER EVER A SINGLE SCRATCH ON ANY DRIVER IT WOULD BE PERFECT.If you think about it and are truely honest about it you will realise that the statement....omg he is going 200mph....means nothing anymore.They may aswell all be going 150 or 120.

PERFECT cookie cutter tracks are not exciting.Watching the cars slide down the walls at Darlington is.The roller coaster look of the cars coming in and out of the turns at Bristol is gone.The tires smoking as the cars came out of the turns at N.Wilksboro is gone.The bumpy asphalt that made the Winston so exciting at Charlotte is smoothed out.

NA$CAR will have to figure out how to throw some kinks into the sport to put more excitement back into it.

Watch the old footage in the movie"Dale",and listen to DW talk about the racing and you will know what I am trying to convey.

I have to say Turbo, I couldn't agree with you more. I grew up watching Nascar, and to see them move from their roots into this new age crap sucks. I only watch a race on DVR so I can fast forward through the boring crap and see where my fantasy drivers end up. To tell you the truth, if it weren't for Fantasy Racing, I would hardly have any interest at all. I repeat most of what you said. Camera trained drivers, no more rubbing is racing, and tracks that are too much alike. Bristol, Darlington, Richmond, and road courses.....wonder how much longer they will even be around. I miss the old tracks. Thank God for Saturday night short track racing!!!

I think all of this could be turned to a new marketing slogan. Tired of robot drivers? Tired of cookie cutter tracks? Tired of the same whining week after week? Take a short drive out to [ your local track] and watch some true competitors battle it out!

Good idea blur.

Also if you happen to watch a NASCAR Cup race recently and along with all their new changes to show support for the sponsors, etc; listen really close in the background and you can hear a commode flushing much like you used to before the demise of CART. :rolleyes:

I think all of this could be turned to a new marketing slogan. Tired of robot drivers? Tired of cookie cutter tracks? Tired of the same whining week after week? Take a short drive out to [ your local track] and watch some true competitors battle it out!

i agree with all of you ....dont ever hear a driver burning his foot anymore ..cool suits ....i bet not many could make a 400 mile race even from the cars of the 90.s ....but i say let then fall on thier face ..people would come out to the local races more often ..i went to the first 4 races at tms ..not anymore ..went to one irl ..did it done it and thats all i will go see there ..would like to go see a dirt race thow ..

And air conditioned helmets/suits- again, I'm all for driver comfort and safety....and yeah, it was hot at Fontana on Labor Day Weekend. The summer stretch was a test of man and machine - it's still a challenge, but nothing like what it was.

But then, I also think the drivers are in better shape too.

Yes, but the arguement was made that these tracks needed two dates because one couldn't hold ALL the fans. Remember the first TMS......they'd sell out the "one"(1) race each year. Now you can still buy tix at the gate on race day. Two races dilute the show itself. More seats=more fans......DUH! But that doesn't make it better and just proves one thing. NA$$$$$$$$$$$CAR

Yes, but the arguement was made that these tracks needed two dates because one couldn't hold ALL the fans. Remember the first TMS......they'd sell out the "one"(1) race each year. Now you can still buy tix at the gate on race day. Two races dilute the show itself. More seats=more fans......DUH! But that doesn't make it better and just proves one thing. NA$$$$$$$$$$$CAR

But TMS doesn't need a sellout to make LOTS of money. Sellout is something around 200K. I say something because it's not a set number as they add temporary seating at times. The BGN, IRL and CTS races draw far less than that at considerably less money per seat than the Cup races. So they still make a huge pile of money on a mere 150K at Cup prices for the fall race. And that 150K is far more than a N.Wilksboro or even a Rockingham would have in a sellout.

Don't get me wrong, I miss those old tracks too and wish people would support BGN, CTS and ARCA races at them, but those are a much harder sell than Cup. I would even like to see nascar put some dirt races back on the schedule.

[ . I would even like to see nascar put some dirt races back on the schedule.

I would buy that one Lucky. Ken Schrader suggested this to NASCAR a few years back just before NASCAR took off on their quest to build all the cookie cutter tracks. Kenny recommended about 5 dirt races a year but I guess the sponsorship people did not go for that. Fans would big time. But that is not NASCAR's way anymore. Big Sponsors. Big bucks. :blink:

[ . I would even like to see nascar put some dirt races back on the schedule.

I would buy that one Lucky. Ken Schrader suggested this to NASCAR a few years back just before NASCAR took off on their quest to build all the cookie cutter tracks. Kenny recommended about 5 dirt races a year but I guess the sponsorship people did not go for that. Fans would big time. But that is not NASCAR's way anymore. Big Sponsors. Big bucks. :blink:

See, I thought the reason they'll never bring back dirt tracks in NASCAR is cause Brian France just might get some dust on that custom made, $400,000 suit of his.

Dave Despain has already said that NASCAR is starting to go in the same direction as CART.

looks like the astros are headed that way too ..i mean 4 to 0 in the first ..two homers .. the other 368 are imployes ''''.probably standing out on the corner ... hopeing someone will drive by and take some free tickets to the game they are playing inside ...

My point wasn't about why TMS has more spectators than N.Wilksboro ever could.I was refering to the core of NA$CAR fans.That core is about the same at both tracks.It just happens that the core is enough to sell out N.Wilksboro but not TMS.If you go to TMS this fall,start asking the people around you some questions,or just try to listen to their comments.You will find very few people who even know which driver is in what car.If they find out you know what is going on,you will be bugged with questions all day long.They do a heck of a marketing job on the "flyby"race fan to get them into the seats.My feeling is,because of the reason's I have previously stated(and there are many more),that the true core of stock car fans has sharply dwindled.As of this season,it is starting to really show up in the tv ratings and at some of the tracks.They made a big deal about Richmond being sold out for the 32nd consecutive time.I said duh.That was their first sellout since Bristol,duh.Look at which tracks sell out,and it isn't because their grandstands are too small.160,000 at Bristol with what is rumored to be in the 100,000+ range waiting for tickets.Are you guys sure there will even be 160,000 this fall at TMS?

With todays technology,you could build a dirt track that would put on a spectacular race and be viewer friendly.

that Florida team has been in trouble for some time, the push was on a few years back to make that the SA Marlins, too bad that didn't work out. An additional major sports team in the Alamo City could be good for the (bleak) future of auto racing there.

the bleak future of auto racen is in our hands ..

Archived