...and then there were two

jracer98

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JUMBO FINISHES FOURTH! GOOD JOB, RICK.

Jay

Rick Wycoff, an ex Devils Bowl Street Stock racer, in his first Pro Modified event at THR, using an old dirt JET chassis with OEM front spindles and a Z-link/birdcage rear suspension proved something to me on Saturday by finishing fourth and on the lead lap. It can be done in a dirt car.

As I understand it, Rick had to add about 300 pounds of lead to meet the Pro Mod rules and had to convert his iron-headed 383 to gas.

And that's just the car.

Like everyone else, he had to run the Goodyear spec tire, ($440) and pay $175 in entry fees (compared to his usual $25 at Devil's Bowl).

While he wasn't as fast as a few of the front runners, he kept out of people's way and drove a clean, steady race to finish fourth on the lead lap. Pretty remarkable when you really stop and think about it.

In light of the above, I'm wondering what can be done to really attract more of the dirt mods on nights they aren't running for IMCA points. Maybe waive the fuel rule for true dirt cars? Other thoughts?

Anyway, congrats to Rick for taking the bold step that he did. Here's hoping more will do the same.

Nick

The fuel deal would be nice but I didn't really mind that. Its that weight deal that really is the killer as far as the car goes. I actually had to add 340 lbs in lead not counting mounts. I'd really like to give it a try with the weight a lot closer to everyone else. Maybe some kind of deal where if your not as wide (I think I was about 65") and not running drop spindles. When I went to pavement from dirt spent about $180.00 not counting tires. I was competitive too boot. To come to THR I spent $350.00 in lead alone.

Nick- Thanks for noticing.

Rick Wycough

Nick Holt wrote,

"I'm wondering what can be done to really attract more of the dirt mods on nights they aren't running for IMCA points. Maybe waive the fuel rule for true dirt cars? Other thoughts?"

As poorboy correctly reminded us, there was a day that the TOTAL answer to Nick's question was "just get some 970 tires on it". I don't recall reading one negative post about that policy.

Jay

Archived