Sponsor proposal

RobbinsSr

Need help putting together a sponsor proposal. Does anyone know of anyweb sites or even have one put together I can ready to help me figure out what I need? Right now the plan is to run two cars with the pro sedans and one car at THR as a thunderstock and need help figuring out a budget. Is there a local company that helps put together such propsosals for a fee?

I think there used to be a place locally that was offering a sponsorship deal - :unsure:

THis is really out of my league, but I had some time to kill and just searched around - hope some of this helps.

Check these out, one offers a download for $39

: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=racing+sp...ss&ei=UTF-8

I found this at http://www.stockcarracing.com/tipstricks/2...find_a_sponsor/

Landing a Sponsor

Twenty tips for grass-roots racers seeking sponsorship

By Ernie Saxton

Finding sponsorship for grass-roots racers may be getting more difficult. The economy has slowed, but the cost of auto racing isn’t declining. So for a lot of racers, this may mean getting out of the sport, or finding some serious sponsorship to finance their racing efforts.

Many grass-roots racers have no idea what they should be doing to attract sponsorship, and many aren’t willing to learn, or invest, in hiring someone to assist their efforts.

We want to share 20 key points that a grass-roots racer should keep in mind when going after sponsorship. In fact, these basics of sponsorship can be used by just about anyone seeking a marketing partner. They are listed in no order of priority, every one of these points can be useful in your sponsorship efforts.

1. Don’t sell too cheap.

If you don’t feel that what you offer is worth much, businesses will agree. Set a figure—a realistic figure— based on value offered, and make it higher than what you need (that leaves room for negotiations). You can always come down with your fee, but it is almost impossible to increase the amount.

2. Request a realistic amount of money.

Too many sponsorship seekers think a serious primary sponsor should finance the race team. A sponsor— a successful businessman— is only going to give you what he thinks the deal is worth to him. If you can show that the package you offer will affect the bottom line, generate exposure, and bring customers in, the chances of getting that businessman to sign on as a sponsor are much improved.

3. Run the race team like a business.

Don’t leave all your business sense behind when you go through the pit gate at a speedway. Run the team like a real business, and you will impress potential sponsors.

4. Don’t beg.

Never tell a potential sponsor that if you don’t get a sponsor, you won’t be able to race. They don’t care. At least those offering serious sponsorship don’t care.

5. Talk racing as it pertains to increasing the sponsor’s business.

Most sponsors don’t care about your auto racing. They do care about their business, and what you can do to help their business. Show that you have a way to attract customers, and they will listen. Telling them about all the wonderful things you have done in racing and plan to do, will do nothing for the business, and they will have no interest.

6. Add value to the package.

Many sponsorship packages are done backward. Ninety percent is devoted to the race team, and 10 percent is devoted to the marketing efforts to make the sponsorship work. It should be just the opposite. The days of offering to paint the sponsor’s name on the race car and calling it “sponsorship” are long gone. You have to offer a package that includes, perhaps, signage at the track where you race on a regular basis, include a night at the track for the sponsor, and include program advertising and billboard advertising. Public address announcements can also be included. The racer should be spending part of the money received from the sponsor to keep the sponsor happy. You need to have a marketing fund in place to make sure the sponsor gets the exposure they paid for. Twenty percent is a good figure to work with.

7. Use the hauler as a rolling billboard.

More people will see the logos and names on the hauler as it travels to and from the races than will see the race car at the track. Sell the benefits of the hauler exposure, and charge for it.

8. Generate exposure for the sponsor.

Create and distribute a media release when the sponsorship is secured. Keep the media informed with news releases and newsletters. Create stories on the team, including sponsorship names, for program books and organization newsletters. Make sure the announcer at events where you compete has an information sheet on the team—including sponsor names. Keep in mind that the exposure generated in program books, newsletters, and in the media is basically free. This requires just a little work by you or someone who has some writing talent.

9. Know the difference.

There are two types of sponsors—those who, more or less, just give you money (supporters/fans) and expect nothing in return, and those who are the serious sponsors who actually expect a return on their investment.

10. Don’t promise what you cannot produce.

Don’t promise to win races and championships. Don’t promise to get the sponsor exposure in all area newspapers, trade publications, and other media. Instead, tell the potential sponsor that you will be giving it all your very best effort.

11. If you can’t talk business, or you can’t write an effective letter, or you can’t develop a proposal, or don’t understand selling, you must hire someone to do it for you.

Don’t expect anyone worthwhile to do it on a commission basis. Either hire someone to help you, or buy some marketing materials that will help you do it yourself. Be certain that the finished proposal or cover letter includes good grammar, correct spelling, and the proper names and titles of those who are being contacted. And don’t forget, there is nothing worse than a greasy thumb print on the letter or proposal.

12. Research the potential sponsor.

Be sure that the sponsor can benefit from the program you offer. Be sure they can afford what you are asking. Custom-tailor programs that incorporate current marketing objectives, and try to expand on the need for on-site hospitality cross-promotions between your sponsors.

13. Don’t conduct business on the telephone with the TV playing in the background or kids talking.

Have a dedicated phone line installed (it is not that expensive). Only those who are involved in the sponsorship marketing program answer the phone. If you cannot have someone there all the time, install voice mail. It will all pay off. If a potential sponsor calls and ends up talking with your children, chances are good that your program will not be taken seriously.

14. Mass mailings don’t work.

There is a very well organized program that includes contact letters, postcards, proposals, telephone calls, and more that does work. Mass mailings to people you have not talked to in advance will probably end up in the wastebasket. Many times, well meaning secretaries will save their boss the trouble of reading a proposal—one that was not expected—by tossing it in the trash.

15. Develop a relationship with the track promoter.

Let him or her know that you are available to do personal appearances, car shows, etc. It gives you the opportunity to meet more sponsorship prospects, and at the same time you are doing the promoter a favor. That can put you in a position to get better rates for your sponsors when they want to try some marketing opportunities at the track.

16. Get involved in local charities and local civic organizations.

A lot of business people belong to these organizations and this is a great way to meet them. Cultivate relationships.

17. Grass-roots racers should not be seeking sponsorship from corporate America.

You may stumble on something and get lucky once in awhile, but you’d do better to spend your time working on the local and regional companies that will have more interest, and derive more benefits, from the exposure you generate for them. There is always the opportunity to bring in several sponsors rather than just one primary sponsor.

18. Bring them out to the races.

Give your prospective sponsors the “royal tour” at the speedway. It may not seem like anything special to you, but to people who have not been there before, showing them all the behind-the-scenes activities can sell the deal for you. Give the tour, a bag of goodies to take home, and have someone go with them to explain what is going on. This is where the promoter, whom you helped by doing personal appearances, can kick in with some tickets and pit passes to make sure the potential sponsor gets VIP treatment.

19. Put it all in writing.

To avoid problems in the future—even with the small deal—make sure that everyone involved understands what they should expect. Put it in writing and have the principals sign. There will be no doubt as to who does what, when.

20. Once you have made a commitment, the sponsor’s needs come first.

We’ve all heard too many stories about teams, even champions, who couldn’t be bothered to show up for an autograph session or a radio interview. Then they are surprised when the sponsor doesn’t want to continue to support them. When you have that sponsor, make sure that you act your best at the races and everywhere you go representing your team and sponsor. You never know who may be watching. Dress and speak properly when representing your team and the sponsors, and make sure the sponsor is kept informed of what the team is doing all season. Be in touch personally from time-to-time, by telephone, newsletter, and more.

"16. Get involved in local charities and local civic organizations.

A lot of business people belong to these organizations and this is a great way to meet them. Cultivate relationships."

Most of those types of organizations are dying for speakers, especially interesting ones. If you aren't comfortable speaking in front of a crowd and most people aren't, consider joining a Toastmasters Club in your area.

17. Don't get on Texas Speed Zone and bash the crap out of anybody.

Sponsors are looking for positive, motivated people that others look up to, not wise guys trying to make themselves look big by making others look small.

Nick

17. Don't get on Texas Speed Zone and bash the crap out of anybody.

Sponsors are looking for positive, motivated people that others look up to, not wise guys trying to make themselves look big by making others look small.

Nick

lmao now thats funny nick :lol::lol::lol::D

At one point both TQ Jones and Chuck Licata were in the sponsor proposal writing business. Not sure if either are still doing so.

TQ uses the TXSZ screen name tqj3 and Chuck uses the TXSZ screen name ChuckLicata.

Nick

19.5) I feel reasonably confident that Chuck Licata is not hiding behind his screen name which is ChuckLicata. Apparently Chuck is not be too concerned about disclosing his "true Texas Speed Zone identity."

19.6) T Q Jones has openly identified himself on this forum on numerous occasions.

19.7) How about a new TXSZ rule that requires that actual, verified names be on file with at TXSZ before anyone is permitted to post? Hmmmmm ... Cowards become very brave when they know their identity is a secret. I wonder if some of the bashing might slow down a bit.

Nick

19.5) I feel reasonably confident that Chuck Licata is not hiding behind his screen name which is ChuckLicata. Apparently Chuck is not be too concerned about disclosing his "true Texas Speed Zone identity."

19.6) T Q Jones has openly identified himself on this forum on numerous occasions.

19.7) How about a new TXSZ rule that requires that actual, verified names be on file with at TXSZ before anyone is permitted to post? Hmmmmm ... Cowards become very brave when they know their identity is a secret. I wonder if some of the bashing might slow down a bit.

Nick

Darn. I already told you my name. Now I'll have to be careful what I say on here. :)

Just a thought here. Nick's suspension seminar got me thinking about this.

Is there anyone in the area that would be qualified to put on a sponsorship seminar? Just from reading other threads on here, there seem to actually be plenty of race cars for most classes, but they aren't making it to as many races as they/we would like them to. I'd be willing to bet that lack of money is keeping a lot of them parked.

I know money is tight and that can make sponsor hunting hard, but in business it's considered a mistake to spend less on marketing when times are bad. Business consultants will tell you that's when you need to market the hardest.

It's been my experience that most racers will not spend money on anything that doesn't make the race car go faster. They also believe someone else can get them a sponsor, which is one thing that made the J&S ideas so popular.

That's been my experience for the most part as well. How's that been working out for those racers whose race cars are parked more than they are raced? I know what you mean though and my guess is that it would have to be in a lower price range than Nick's suspension seminar. And that gets us into "you get what you pay for territory."

Anyway, it was just a thought. Didn't cost anything to bring it up.

I'll put on a sponsor seminar for 20.00 a team. ;)

Seriously, Most guys know a salesman and I mean a product salesman not a car salesman. Get some tips from them. Its not rocket science, but there are small things that can make a big difference. Salesmen know theses things from training and experience. Small things like cutting your hair, being, polite, shaving dressing nice, present yourself and thus your car and team like a business. When your car is carrying his name, you are an official representative of his company. You may not think of it that way, but that;s the first thing he's going to think of. Come up with a plan before you talk to anyone. Explain what the rear panel is worth driving down the road. Why the hood is a good deal. EXACTLY what it is you are looking for from him. If you don't know what your worth why should he. Already have figured out how and where you can do promotional events for him and how often. Treat your sponsors fairly. Don't ever let one say "for 500 bucks I got a lousy sticker on the rear quarter and that guy that's friends with him got the hood for 50.00. Your actual written sponsor proposal is a business plan. Treat it like one. Like I said none of this stuff is hard to know, but just like snow skiing, its not whether you can do it or not, its just whether you have ever been exposed to it. Once you are you grasp it pretty quick. its not so much learning something hard as it is learning something new.

PS Most businesses are setting their budgets for the next year between now and December. That includes what they are going to budget for next years advertising. Get to them now for next year. Tell them you want to speak with the person in charge of Marketing.

Go to www.whowon.com

On the main page, to the left, there is a button for Marketing News. Ernie Saxton is a marketing guru for motorsports. There are a lot of good ideas there, they have not been updated in 2 years, but you will learn a bunch. I have a bunch of proposals that I cary with me, generic. But when I meet a potential sponsor, I will create a custom one to meet there needs. This year I have not got the Big One, but on dirt, I got $6K per year for 2 years for a dirt Hobby Stock. Outlaw03 will vouch for that, he for half of the first $6k. You have to go out and find them. I spend 5-10 hours a week on the phone trying to get my foot in the door or trying to find the right person that I need to go and see. I worked on 2 big ones today for next year, both of which wouldn't think twice about dropping $15K, they spend that on one billboard per month.

Also, look at the business vehicles, the ones with lots of graphics, or wraps, know the value of marketing, otherwise they would be driving plain cars. Sometimes you have to be persistant, but also know when to just give in and move on. You might get 100 no's before you get a maybe. Once you got the maybe, its yours to lose! You gotta sell it!

One of the givens is getting your sponsors exposure outside of the race track as well. This means car shows and such. I just found one in New Braunfels this weekend, and the contact guy said he would welcome race cars at the show. The show starts early enough that there is time to show the car and then head to THR to race!! Here is the link to the post I made about it: http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19709

Arthur from the Houston area and few others here have gotten showing the cars down to almost a science. It is tough, but definitely one thing you should be doing for your sponsors. It is also a great way to land sponsors. Think about it. Chances are they have not been to the race track, and if you are seeing them at their place of business, you will not have you car with you. At a car show, they get to actually see the car right there. Have them sit in it and just watch their interest in your proposal grow!!

Good luck and God Bless!!

Archived