What do we do with all this wet weather?

Well what do you guys think maybe race on a Tuesday or Wednesday?

With the crazy weather we have had this year we have only gotten 15 or so races in and everyone is needing that fix. Well in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Carolinas they race 5 and 6 nights a week at different tracks. What if we throw a race on a Tuesday night would it be a huge flop or would a crowd of cars and fans show up?

They play Baseball everynight of the week starts at 7:30 and ends at 10:00 pm, they get some fans.

If we ran 3 classes starting at 7:00 we could get it over with by 10:00 no problem, anyone have any comments, I know that no one else in South Central Texas does it but there is always a first.

Comments?

Owen

i say sounds like a great idea i still have little work to do to get my car back out but i would show up. Leaving on vacation next week but when i get back weather permitting am going to finish what needs to be done..hell maybe i'll just leave the lead off strip off the front fenders and call it a modified

speaking of starting at 7 and ending at 10 what about this city ordinace for noise that they claim they are going to start inforcing with the decible meters

Sounds like a good idea Owen. Might do it where you run every other week though or have every other week for each class off. That would still give us some time for MAJOR repairs. My crew doesn't have a lot of time for repairs each week. OK, so I don't have a crew but I found out Riley's secret to success last night and I will be trying to acquire said secret. That crackhead subway ain't his real crew chief. :lol:

its a good idea maybe if you were to send a flyer out to those houses right there real close and let them know what you have in mind. Maybe they would be ok with it and no problems would occur. I know one of the guys that live across from the track and i doubt that he would mind as long as it didnt go past 10 or at least much past 10

Sounds like a good idea Owen. Might do it where you run every other week though or have every other week for each class off. That would still give us some time for MAJOR repairs. My crew doesn't have a lot of time for repairs each week. OK, so I don't have a crew but I found out Riley's secret to success last night and I will be trying to acquire said secret. That crackhead subway ain't his real crew chief. :lol:

lmao ..now that was funny

My opinion is this. The car count would be ok. The spectator count I think would be the problem. To many of our current spectators have familys. Some would show up but not enough to pay all the bills. For example: How many people do you have to have to cover your nut. I think that Sunday afternoon maybe 1pm to 4pm might work, or Friday nights.

I have noticed though that a lot of people are leaving before the races are finished. I think that an important part of the races are the fact that they spectator can come after the races are over and meet thier favorite drivers and get photos with their cars. I think we need to try to get done earlier and park the top 2 cars and drivers on the front stretch after the races.

For example: Start the races at 5pm be over by 8pm and have a madatory top 2 finishers to the front stretch. This would create a spectator driver relationship.

Anybody else have an opinion?.....nevermind stupid question.....

i like the thing for the fans after the race ..sunday day race might work as well..i think getting the word out that there would be races other then saturday night would be the biggest thing to get the people in the stands..on any given night you can go out and see poeple all over town with their kids out at 10 or 11 o clock and it doesnt seem to matter if its a school night or not.. not that i agree with kids being out late but it seems to be that its more acceptable for kids to be out late

maybe not have them lined up on the track but maybe in the tech area or somewhere like that. That way the racers that wanted or needed to make a few hot laps after the races could still do that

All of these ideas sound good and they all have good points. In my opinion, to start this as a trial basis, consider lowering admission, during the week only, in turn asking the drivers to consider a lower pay out. Those who want to race will come regardless. Instead of trying to put on an additional "full" night of racing, making it more work for yourself and the staff, do it for fun. Keep the "work" to a minimum. Once you see what kind of turn out you start to see, you can adjust your plans accordingly. JMO

what about starting out with a short 4 or 5 week series with no weekly pay outs. and at the end of the series pay out a purse according to points for that series. Make it a set field for the drivers that are interesetd in other words they have commited to run that series and have signed up saying that they will be there. Make a sign up fee that would be the pit pass fee for the car and driver paid in advance. example: 100 bucks or so for a 5 week series paid in advance. Then at least the pit pass that you would have expected to bring in would be paid. Any crew or family could then pay their pit pass at the gate or ahead of time. If it worked out and looked like something that was goin take off then you could start another series maybe make it 6 or 8 weeks. Might not pack the stands like on a saturday night but i bet that people would start coming if it turned out some really good racing. just a thought

dt8435, sounds like a good idea. It would give the drivers something to look forward to @ the end.

Another thought was to shorten the length of the races run each night, say from 25 to 20 or 15, which if all went smoothly, would allow time for the fans to get more involved with the drivers. If the weekly races showed the fans (kids) a chance to actually meet and see the driver, talk to them, get autographs, etc. over a period of time I think you could draw a big crowd. A weekly event is more likely to allow more interaction than a Saturday night. You all know how busy you are preparing for the races and sometimes your minds are not on the fans and then when the races are over, it is late and people with kids just want to get home. JMO

i tell you what i saw that drew a monster crowd during the week it doesnt bring in much at the gate but you get enough kids in there and the consessions will make money hand over fist. Last year we went to a aviators game never had any desire to watch them play but one of the kids brought home free passes from school and wanted to know if we could go since she had brought enough free passes for all of us so we went and you would not belive the number of people that showed up for an aviators game during the week.

It would have to be Tuesday or Wednesday nights. With football about to start. ( Mon. Thurs. Sunday NFL)

(Fridays High school football). If anything else have some test and tune on Tuesdays. That way the track makes something.

tuesday's would be the best

Also consider that some people go to church on Wednesday night. Tuesday is looking better all the time.

If you keep the concessions to a minimum, drinks, candy, popcorn, it would be less cost than going all out with a full menu. Also, you may have someone (a young one looking for some extra cash) that would work one window instead of having full staff. Like I said, keep it easy and fun.

Another idea to draw kids, maybe by posting here or on the website, have them bring report cards for a special giveaway for good grades. Kids love that stuff.

Grand Prairie Speedway is doing something similar to this. They added a 10 race schedule, on Wednesday nights, seperate points and championship. I'm not sure on how it's going for them, but it might be an idea to get ahold of Kristi or Jimmi and see how it's worked out.

I just checked out the GPS forum to see how their Wednesday series was going, and it's gone. They were not getting a lot of cars or people in the stands from what I read....

I agree. Start and end a little earlier and get the fans more involved with the drivers. Also, some suggusted Friday nite shows or Sunday shows. Friday you will definately be bucking HS football, but everyone should have DVR or something similar, so hopefully sunday afternoon shows wouldnt get hurt too buch by NFL football. Never know if it will work till you give it a try. Keep up the good work Owen.

Even when the races get over early the fans are not coming to the pits. We had a show earlier in the year that got over at about 9:55 and there were no more fans, than other nights.

We the drivers need to get them down there. I know the pink posse crew have given things away during the night and at intermission. I'm going to bring little grab bags for the kids on the 8th. We'll have Russ anounce that things will be given away to the kids after the races at whatever car #'s pit. That always works, and if we have 4 or 5 do it a week then the kids and families get to meet everyone eventually.

But back to the main topic I'm all for racing any night or afternoon.

Archived