I didn't watch Bristol

Lucky161

Instead I went out to Cowtown. I missed the first heat because I was 10 minutes late getting there. No big deal. $12 plus $4.75 for a chili dog and a 20oz Pepsi. 132 cars (way plenty) 7 classes (too many) and good races all night. 24 sprint cars and no junk. Smoke Pit BarBQ put up an extra $1000 for the sprint winner. Turns out the owner brought his dad with him. Those in South Texas and even younger people in North Texas probably don't remember Olin Gibbons, but I watched him at the old track in Benbrook in the supers when I was a kid.

Car count was:

24 sprints

19 Dwarf Cars

20 Modifieds IMCA style

19 Limited Mods (sport mod style)

20 street stocks

19 bombers

10 jr bombers (same as bombers but with kids)

Started at 7:00, heats and B mains were done by 9:00. I watch the sprint main, dwarf main and jr bomber main and left at 10:00.

Decent crowd. I went on purpose because of the Bristol race, but it didn't seem to hurt the crowd much. 24 sprints with no junk is awesome when you consider the track next door as well as the Devil's Bowl both ran sprints last night too. When I say next door, I mean that literally (think drag strip behind SAS) and I could see half their track just by turning around in my seat. I couldn't get a good count, but they had at least 18 sprint cars. 50/50 pot was $236. They promoted the heck out of signed frisbees by the drivers. That can't cost much, but they gave several away with the carrot of being photoed with that driver if he/she won the feature and winners were invited to the pits after the races. Of course anyone is welcome in the pits after the races, but they still made a pretty big deal out of it. Overall good way to spend less than $20 counting gas on a Saturday night.

It never ceases to amaze me...... :huh:

FYI Cowtown runs their own Sprint Car class/rules as does Devils Bowl(Lanny's rules!--LOL) KSP had the Sprint Series of Texas(special), the same class scheduled for the Lone Star Nationals @ TMS Dirt Track next month.

I think the Dwarf cars were a special @ Cowtown.

Both Bo and the Snider's(KSP) run good crisp shows due to the city enforced curfew. Despite being literally feet apart, both get great car counts and fans in the stands.

www.cowtownspeedway.com

www.kennedalespeedwayprk.com (Yes it's spelled without the "a" in park)

It never ceases to amaze me...... :huh:

FYI Cowtown runs their own Sprint Car class/rules as does Devils Bowl(Lanny's rules!--LOL) KSP had the Sprint Series of Texas(special), the same class scheduled for the Lone Star Nationals @ TMS Dirt Track next month.

I think the Dwarf cars were a special @ Cowtown.

Both Bo and the Snider's(KSP) run good crisp shows due to the city enforced curfew. Despite being literally feet apart, both get great car counts and fans in the stands.

www.cowtownspeedway.com

www.kennedalespeedwayprk.com (Yes it's spelled without the "a" in park)

We've got the dirt track programs doing pretty well. In addition to those tracks, we have HOT, another one in Waco, Stephenville, DFW in Grand Prairie and Boyd. 60+ sprint cars actually on the track in one night, not just sitting around in someone's shop. Now if we could just get one paved short track in the area, we'd be good to go imo.

The Dwarf cars don't run every week at Cowtown, but they do run there several times a year. This is a different club of Dwarf cars than the one you guys see down south. Maybe they could get together in Kyle and Waco a couple of times a year?

wow how old was the track in benbrook...im 38 and grew up in benbrook never even heard of a track there

Actually there were two tracks in Benbrook, but both were before your time. The one I was referring to was called Great Southwest or Greater Southwest. I don't remember the name of the road you turn on but there is a traffic light there now off of 377 where the riding stables are. They were their back then, the early 60s. I was talking to my dad at breakfast this morning and he asked if I remembered the 3 people on horseback watching from turn two and someone went off the track and flipped. I did. The horses returned to the stables w/o riders. They ran supermodifieds on Fridays and stock cars on Saturday nights. Only one class of cars each night. In the stock cars there were only 2 guys that ran regularly that had V8 Chevys, the rest were flathead Fords and 6cyl Chevys.

The other track was further south and called Bluebonnet. It was on the other side of 377. I only went there once because I had moved to Lubbock to go to Tech. I don't think it was in business long, but it would have been something like 1969-70.

I have been informed that it was actually the Iron Head Winged Modified Series that you saw at KSP, not the Sprints. Guess the wings fooled ya. ;)

Place Number Driver

1 7 Tommy McElroy

2 77 Nick Cooper

3 62 Ronnie Reese

4 61 Rick Poteet

5 22 David Williams

6 87 Charlie Williams

7 55 Ted White

8 3 Charlie Armstrong Jr.

9 02 Charlie Armstrong III

10 74 D.J. Estes

11 54 Terry White

12 03 Steven Ingram

13 31 David Suggs

14 9 John Theil

I have been informed that it was actually the Iron Head Winged Modified Series that you saw at KSP, not the Sprints. Guess the wings fooled ya. ;)

Place Number Driver

1 7 Tommy McElroy

2 77 Nick Cooper

3 62 Ronnie Reese

4 61 Rick Poteet

5 22 David Williams

6 87 Charlie Williams

7 55 Ted White

8 3 Charlie Armstrong Jr.

9 02 Charlie Armstrong III

10 74 D.J. Estes

11 54 Terry White

12 03 Steven Ingram

13 31 David Suggs

14 9 John Theil

Only sort of. While I could see them from where I was sitting, I couldn't see them that well. But what really made me think they were sprints was their website advertised that they were running sprints. I haven't seen those winged modifieds run in a long time, but they only had about 6 and most were junk back then. Hopefully with their increased numbers the quality has improved as well.

Archived