Finishing my HMP Hobby Stock

Rookie1

Now that the front end is together, I'm now wondering about sway bars.

The Stock sway bar has a spring rate around 120 lbs.

Some of the other cars are using a Howe sway bar, cutting the ends off and welding the stock ends on it. The spring rate of the Howe Bar is 385 lbs.

I found a Hellwig Sway bar that will mount with no alterations, It has a spring rate of 520.

Which is the better choice? Why?

The best choice is the bar that your car needs to go fast... There is no such thing as the "right" sway bar for any race car. Some setups demand a very stiff bar. Some setups demand a very soft bar. Legacy cars come from the factory without a sway bar.

One of the factors that determine a sway bar's rate is the effective length of the sway bar arms. The shorter the arms, the stiffer the sway bar rate. So, all bets are off when you change the effective length of the sway bar arms.

You can calculate the new spring rate with careful measurements and a big calculator that can handle scientific notations since one of the parameters in the equation uses more zeros than most small calculators can handle. Or, there are a few on-line sway bar rate programs if you go googling.

I'd say that you probably won't be too far off with any bar that's rated about around 500 lbs for the class you're running.

Nick

Archived