Engine question

DirtRacer9s

They were introduced in 1955 on the Corvettes, and it was an option that year.

A little info on the small block--

1955 - The first year of introduction was 265 cubic inch only. No provision for an oil filter was included in the engine design.

1956 - A provision for an oil filter was added. Used a canister style filter.

1962 - The block's cylinder wall casting was changed to allow four inch bores. Before that, only certain years of the 283 engine (1958-1962) could be bored safely to four inches.

1968 - The main journal diameter increased to 2.45 in from 2.30, and the rod journal diameter increased to 2.10 in from 2.00 in. Additionally, the canister oil filter was changed to spin on filters. The oil filler was moved from the intake manifold to either side valve cover.

1987 - The original valve cover surfaces were changed from 4 bolts around the edge of the covers to 4 bolts down the centerline of the valve cover. Helped with valve cover sealing. This actually debuted on the Corvette in 1985, and Chevrolet 4.3L V-6 in 1984. The rear main seal was changed from a 2-piece rubber design to a 1-piece design. Also changed were the mounting angles of the center 2 bolts on each side of the intake manifold, from 90 degrees to 73 degrees. The lifter bosses were increased in height to accept roller lifters. The alloy heads for use in the Corvette still retain the non-angled bolts (center 2 bolts attaching to the intake).

1996 - This was the last change for the Generation I engine, and continued through the end of the production run in 2003; all 1997-2003 Generation I engines were Vortec truck engines. The cylinder heads were redesigned using improved ports and combustion chambers similar to those in the Generation II LT1.

The 262 was produced from 1975 to 1976, and had a bore/stroke ratio of 3.67 x 3.10

The 265 was produced from 1954 to 1956, and had a bore/stroke ratio of 3.750 x 3.00

The 267 was produced from 1979 to 1982, and was 3.50 x 3.48

The 283 was produced from 1957 to 1967, and was 3.875 x 3.00

The 302 from 1967 to 1969, and was 4.00 x 3.00

The 305 from 1976 to 1992, and was 3.74 x 3.48

The 307 from 1968 to 1973, and was 3.875 x 3.25

The 327 from 1962 to 1968, and was 4.00 x 3.25

The 350 from 1968 to 2002, and was 4.00 x 3.48 (Production was ended in the U.S. in 2002; the engine is still produced in Mexico for G.M.'s replacement engine program)

The 400 from 1970 to 1979, and was 4.125 x 3.75

As for when they went into all vehicles, I don't know.

I know when the sbc came out but that was not my question. What I wanted to know was in other gm cars such as buicks and oldsmobiles when did they start mak9ing a small block chevy an option. You know like the 76 cutlass had a 350 or 455 option(and two others). But was the 350 a olds 350 or a chevy 350.

Hey blur I am just curious thats all. :D

I know I thought about the chilton books for those years to find out but just thought I could find out with out having to make a trip to the store.

I know when the sbc came out but that was not my question. What I wanted to know was in other gm cars such as buicks and oldsmobiles when did they start mak9ing a small block chevy an option. You know like the 76 cutlass had a 350 or 455 option(and two others). But was the 350 a olds 350 or a chevy 350.

Hey blur I am just curious thats all. :D

I know I thought about the chilton books for those years to find out but just thought I could find out with out having to make a trip to the store.

this reminds me of my favorite motor's back in those days ..... the pontiac 326 .. and the 389 ... my old 68 charger with a police interceptor motor ..440 that is ..boy was that fast ..the 383 . 340 six pack .... ford ... 352 and 289 ... the best small block chevy in those days atleast to me ..was the 327 ....bullet proof ....and buick wild cat ... and one more .the old's 425 rocket ..

When GM put the 350 Chev engine in some 77 Olds unannounced( olds also had a 350) and after some people discovered they had a Chev eng in their olds they were given a $300. if they applied for it. Just a short time after that it became standard practice to interchage engines accross the GM lines

Thanks for the info rookie. Guess I just better stick with a chevy.

Well don't give up yet. what are you trying to do. While the other GM Corporate motors were heavier, you can actually turn that to your advantage in some cases. For instance the trans am of the 70's would outhandle the z-28 for several reasons. One of them being that the pontiac engine sat further back than the chevrolet giving a better front to rear weight ratio. Also all of these motors will pretty much bolt into any of these cars with just a change of motor mounts. As for rules, well I'm not sure any track would penalize you for a olds motor in a chevy for example. By the way on a corporate level, I know that they were running chevy's in the oldsmobile on the winston cup circuit going back to 73 or 74 I believe, so the corporate motor recognition by NASCAR dates at least to then.

they had a bigger swaybar.better cenerlink also.it cost more though.

Thanks for the info rookie. Guess I just better stick with a chevy.

Well don't give up yet. what are you trying to do. While the other GM Corporate motors were heavier, you can actually turn that to your advantage in some cases. For instance the trans am of the 70's would outhandle the z-28 for several reasons. One of them being that the pontiac engine sat further back than the chevrolet giving a better front to rear weight ratio. Also all of these motors will pretty much bolt into any of these cars with just a change of motor mounts. As for rules, well I'm not sure any track would penalize you for a olds motor in a chevy for example. By the way on a corporate level, I know that they were running chevy's in the oldsmobile on the winston cup circuit going back to 73 or 74 I believe, so the corporate motor recognition by NASCAR dates at least to then.

they had a bigger swaybar.better cenerlink also.it cost more though.

looked at the sbc displacement list above, and another came to mind. I seem to remember in 1958 you could get an impala with a 348 ci motor. What about that one?

The 348 and 409 engines were not part of the small block family. They, better known as the "W" engine, were part of the Chevy big block family.

This big block family had two generations, as they were known. The "W" series had the 348, 409, and the Z11 427.The 348 was available from 1958 to 1961 in cars and through 1964 in trucks. The 409 was available from 1961 to 1965, and the Z11 427 was available only in 1963 in the Impala. The Z11 is not the same as the Mark IV 427. It is basically a 409 that was stroked .015.

The better known Mark IV series of big blocks started with the so-called Mystery Motor used in the 1963 Daytona 500. This engine was a substantially modified form of the "W" engine, and was eventually put into production in 1965 as the Mark IV, also known as the "Turbo-Jet V8."

The better known Mark IV series had the 396, 402, 427, and 454 engines from 1965 to about 1976. There were also two engines for the commercial world produced. Both were tall-deck, and were 366 and 427 displacement. They had an extra oil control ring on the pistons.

Txtom, Rookie ..................... that was my trick question of the day! :lol: Just keepin' you chevy guys on your toes. :D

I get up pretty early ........................... ;)

Tom,

That takes me way back. I still remember the first time I laid my eyes on one of those 348's. I was about 10 years old. Some guy, don't remember who or where exactly, showed up in a black two door hardtop '58 Impala. He popped the hood for us all to see, a 348 with 3 factory dueces and those big 3 lobe chrome valve covers. Wow, it was awesome! :D Fun,Fun, Fun!

Archived