Shelma Walton purchases I-37 Speedway

For Immediate Release – June 24, 2007

San Antonio Businesswoman purhcases I-37 Speedway

San Antonio, TX (June 24, 2007) – San Antonio businesswoman Shelma Walton announced today that she has purchased I-37 Speedway, a popular International Motor Contest Association (IMCA)-sanctioned quarter-mile dirt oval located in Pleasanton, Texas.

Walton also announced that she has named former San Antonio Speedway General Manager Rick Day to be the General Manager and Race Director effective immediately.

Walton, who also owns and operates J & S Racing Promotions, said that she plans to hold races this Friday, June 29, 2007, as originally scheduled under the former owners.

“I see this as a great opportunity to help stabilize stock car racing in Central and South Texas,” Walton said in making the announcement. “To me, I-37 Speedway is a diamond in the rough. I look forward to upgrading the facility over time and providing a place where families will want to be associated with.”

Shelma Walton, James Beasley and Rick Day will be holding an important driver’s meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Friday before the racing action gets under way at 8:00 p.m.

Walton also emphasized that interested parties should not contact the former owners, but rather contact her if there are questions or concerns. Walton’s Email address is Shelma@jsracingpromotions.com.

“Tomorrow we will be announcing a new name for the track,” Walton said. “But we just finalized the deal yesterday and I am really haven’t had time to come up with an appropriate name. But I can tell you this, new and exciting things will be happening at the speedway soon.”

--30--

Well, Shelma says she doesn't want anyone barred, but I understand that sometimes IMCA does the barring. Maybe you had better check with Rick Day on this one...

Nick

THANK YOU :) THANK YOU :) THANK YOU :)

Does anyone know if the IMCA licenses, parking spot fees paid etc. and such will still be considered valid?

I spoke with a someone in the ownership group tonight about taking pictures there. He said that in the contract to purchase the track that they don't owe anyone anything from the previous owners. I think that they are just talking about "venders" but you might want to give them a call. And just after one coversation with this group, I feel a lot more confident about the future than with previous owners. JMO

Good news to see the track be saved. I havent ever got a chance to get up there and watch a race. I would really like to go and see the track. Alls I'v seen of the track is when we pass by it to go up north. Well looks like I will be able to make it to watch a race there now.

THANK YOU :) THANK YOU :) THANK YOU :)

Does anyone know if the IMCA licenses, parking spot fees paid etc. and such will still be considered valid?

Hello guys and gals and thanks for the warm welcome and support so far.

As for your IMCA license, that was paid to IMCA and is good from 1-1-07 thru 12-31-07 as long as you have your license or receipt from IMCA.

As for the parking spots at the track, All spots belong to the speedway, If you purchased one from prior management and have your receipt, we will honor your reserved spot. Teams that have elected to just hang a sign does not mean it is yours and you may not get it every week.

Hope this helps out, we look forward to meeting all the drivers and starting a new era at the Speedway.

Rick Day

General Manager

Race Director

I-37 Speedway(for now)

email me at Rickd@jsracingpromotions.com

Shelma, Thank you for steping up. Iam Barry Major #33 in street stock we will be there. My family and I can't wait to meet you. I will bring some of my spons. my family and friend's to the track. If there is any thing we can help with please let us know. home # 361-384-9327 WE will help if we can. God bless and best of luck. We will see you on friday. Major Racing

I am glad to hear some good news for a change. I dont know anything about the new GM, but if he ran SAS before it shut down then at least he has experience, and as we have all found out that is invaluable. I hope the new owner/gm has the resources to change the trend of SA racing and bring us a quality and dependable home track. If there is anything I can do to help increase the stability and/or quality of the track just let me know. Thanks again to Shelma for stepping up to the plate.

Rick

Thanks for stepping up with Shelma and saving the only dirt track in the San Antonio area. Do we know who is going to do the track prep? I know that was the reason this all started because they had someone else prep the track, not the guy Chico had. Also will the gate people and the score keepers be the same. We are looking forward to racing up there. Our son loves that track.....

Archived