just some old photos

Nathan

Some great pictures. We took a Houston "Stock Car " to Pan American Speedway in the mid 60s for a 200 Lap July 4th race. When we saw Waldo Harper's wide tired winged Ford, we thought we were at a Modified Stock Car event. Out of about 6 cars from Houston in '66, only 2 qualified. Luckily, Mel Newkirk's 2 car driven by Tracy Trotter was one of them. The other Houston car, number 44 driven by Delbert Ready, qualified 29th and car number 2, Tracy Trotter qualified 31st out of 32 allowed in the race. As I recall, the last 2 rows were a lap down behind Jimmy Finger and Waldo Harper when those 2 rows took the green flag to start the race.

• 4 months later...
Hi guys I finally got around to scanning some of my mom's and grandpa's old photos. most of them come from pan am (i believe). hope yall enjoy these I know I do.

Nathan - I was just reliving the past again. Wow - what great photos! Is there a chance you can post the 02 car all by itself so that I can add it to my collection? Thanks so much for sharing these with all of us. FYI - I beleive the 33 car is driven by Teddy Jones......

I was bareley born when some of these guys were runnin. Dad raced at Pan Am. Allen Vasbinder. He actually ran two cars. A 57 chevy and a 76 Nova if not mistaken. Try to come up with some photos. Won several FIGURE 8 races with Joe heisler helping run the second car. wish I would have been older to appreciate racing in some of its purest forms

KVasbinder,

Click this link to see your dad from the 1978 Pan American track program. Craig Schmidt posted the 1978 program on here a couple years ago.

Program Link

I remember watching Allen run, he especially was good on that figure 8.

Used to talk with him a few minutes each race night.

Now how about posting some pictures on here?

• 13 years later...
On 6/20/2007 at 10:59 AM, oatey220 said:

Bobby I thought the #88 was Ronnie Groffs Brother, Walter. The #24 is Robert Spider Wilson, I think #33 is Joe Schafer, Bubba did run a ford, but I think he changed because you couldnt run BOSS heads. The following are guesses #57 is Ernie Schomer(sp), #97 is Walley garcia I think the #10 is willie charro, #93 Pat Chandler, #26 Richard Gather, #75 Larry Strom, #28 Cecil Langford, #21 Tommy Davis, #43- Sonny Schimcheck (sp), #14 ??? Bud Simpson, #71 Howard Woller

My dad was # 57! Ernie Schomer!! I am shooting for a longshot, but if ANYONE has any pictures, or stories to tell about my father, it would make my day! I would like to sit and tell him stories about racing, however, I was not around yet!!

This is why LSSZ is still a valuable website n spite of Facebook and Twitter. We get hundreds of hits a day from all over the world, mostly from search engines looking for a specific topic, track or race team. 
It still cost a lot each month and only a couple of folks still help out - the Huffs and txtom (Tom Taylor).  

If you want to help keep the site up and running, let me know. 

4 hours ago, NickHolt said:

This is why LSSZ is still a valuable website n spite of Facebook and Twitter. We get hundreds of hits a day from all over the world, mostly from search engines looking for a specific topic, track or race team. 
It still cost a lot each month and only a couple of folks still help out - the Huffs and txtom (Tom Taylor).  

If you want to help keep the site up and running, let me know. 

How can I help? I am in complete amazement right now.

13 hours ago, JennSchomer said:

How can I help? I am in complete amazement right now.

You can use the site to advertise or you can make a donation.  Either would be very helpful to keep the site up and available to folks like yourself who are interested in the past 21 years of Texas Stock Car racing as it happened - plus the two or three history sections of the site that are now hit at lot.  

Nick

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2021 at 9:24 AM, NickHolt said:

You can use the site to advertise or you can make a donation.  Either would be very helpful to keep the site up and available to folks like yourself who are interested in the past 21 years of Texas Stock Car racing as it happened - plus the two or three history sections of the site that are now hit at lot.  

Nick

TIMELESS  LIKE U NICK ..