Speedway Illustrated - Article on SAS Closing

The latest edition of Speedway Illustrated came in the mail today. There was an article on the closing of SAS. I didn't really see any new information, but it was interesting to see that the situation made it to a national racing magazine and got a multi-page article, not just a paragraph.

If I'm not mistaken, she's Dick's right hand person there at the magazine. I wonder where she got her source material for the story...

Nick

She's listed as Managing Editor.

The article includes quotes from Terry Dickerson, and some nice quotes from Robert Barker & Larry Bendele about the nature of the track and a racer's family life being built around racing.

Kimberly was in contact with both Terry Dickerson and me while writing the article. I didn't realize it had already been published - haven't seen it yet. I sent her the pictures from Marc Roy and Keith Little (photographer in 2005).

I've been trying to reach Marc - via telephone messages and e-mails. They pay the photographers a small sum when they use their pictures. If anyone sees or talks to Marc anytime soon, please have him contact me if he's interested in getting his $$$!

I am the culprit......I contacted Linda Holdman who interviewed me for my article that appeared in Speedway Illustarted in Feb 2005. I did not want to be involved but did go to them in hopes that the word would get out about the closure of SAS. I left contact names and numbers for at the time SAS Management.

SAS has always been on the NASCAR Sunbelt Region map as one of the tracks to watch for due to the talent that we had, Bendele's, Barker etc. SI was dissapointed to know that we were no longer a NASCAR sanctioned track but even more dissapointed to know that we had closed.

So many NASCAR drivers read SI and my intention was to get the attention of drivers such as Tony Stewart etc. who funded and have helped short tracks from closing. Let's keep our fingers crossed to see if we can get some help from these guys to at least help fund Shelma and her group on the new complex in the works.

I am the culprit......I contacted Linda Holdman who interviewed me for my article that appeared in Speedway Illustarted in Feb 2005. I did not want to be involved but did go to them in hopes that the word would get out about the closure of SAS. I left contact names and numbers for at the time SAS Management.

SAS has always been on the NASCAR Sunbelt Region map as one of the tracks to watch for due to the talent that we had, Bendele's, Barker etc. SI was dissapointed to know that we were no longer a NASCAR sanctioned track but even more dissapointed to know that we had closed.

So many NASCAR drivers read SI and my intention was to get the attention of drivers such as Tony Stewart etc. who funded and have helped short tracks from closing. Let's keep our fingers crossed to see if we can get some help from these guys to at least help fund Shelma and her group on the new complex in the works.

In this case, "culprit" has a positive connotation. I think all would thank you for your effort!

Kelly,

I'm glad to hear that you're the one who initiated the article . . . was kinda wondering why they called us. It was pretty unusual for the media to call us - with the exception of the track closure. It seems like that's the only thing that really got the media's attention. I still haven't seen the article. Kimberly is sending a copy to me.

Archived