2001 mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.0L

SeanAugustus

Hey guys I need you help; I have and egr unsufficient flow code on my car. Ive changed the plugs, wires and plentum gasket car drives better but light returned with same code. Ive already changed the fuel filter, Vaccum Relay Switch, and Vaccum tested the EGR Valve. All of these things were normal. Ive gotten to were I dont know what it could be at this point so if yall know or experienced this yourselves the please inlighten me.

thanks

sean B)

catalyst converter may be shot and it wont let the exhaust flow ....also make sure you have good vacume lines .and how did you clear the codes ..if you did it buy unhooking the battery .when you do that .it doesnt always clear a hard code ... and what year is this car.... 96 or better you can go by autozone and sweet talk the man into clearing it out .. and btw bad gas can set that code off .i use marval misteryoil . took care of that egr code after running it in my dodge ,light has not came back on and this happend before xmas ..

I can only give you some ideas but I don't work on mitsubishis. I work on Mercedes and I assume most cars would monitor the egr about the same. The only real way a Mercedes knows the egr is open is by checking the intake pressure at the time the egr should be open. If the control unit says the egr should be open "now" but the intake pressure sensor doesn't show a change then the control unit assumes there is no egr flow. First thing I would do since I assume you don't have any high tech test equipment is apply vacuum to the egr while the car is at idle. The idle speed and quality should drop drastically and the idle quality should be poor. I think you will find that is not happening. If its not I would remove the valve and visually see if it opens when applying vacuum. If it does then check the passages or tubes to the intake manifold because they will probably be clogged. I hope that helps.

I dont hear any vacuum leaks coming from the lines. What ive done is I have taken off the egr and cleaned both the egr and intake ports; Ive also applied a hand vacuum to the egr while it was off the vehicle and I didnt lose any vacuum. Also on this type of egr valve you can manually compress the diaphram with two fingers. When I compressed the diaphram while the vehicle was at Idle the car bogged down alot like it wanted to stall I know some vehicles stall when u fully compress the diaphram but mine didnt. Now the egr selinoid is making a ticking noise but im not sure if thats normal or not. i did notice that the line that connects to the egr is T'ed off to the selinoid and I couldnt feel any vacuum from the line when i applied my finger to it.

Archived