NA$CAR and sponsorships

rebelracewriter

OK, help me out here......first let me preface this by saying the majority of members know my feelings on Robby Gordon, but what's the deal with him having to fight to get his Motorola sponsor on his car?

Conflict with Nextel???? ummmmmmmm lets see...

Jeff Burton--Cingular

Ryan Newman--Altel

Texas race title sponsor--Samsung

Let's take this a step farther.....Craftsman Tools, the "Official sponsor of NA$CAR"

Matt Kenseth--Dewalt

Jamie McMurray--Irwin

Atlanta race title sponsor--Kobalt

Seems to me like the shoe only fits when NA$CAR selectively picks and chooses. Now with as difficult as it is to get the bazillion dollars needed to run a NA$CAR team nowdays, that ANY sponsor would be welcome. I'm sure there are plenty more contradictions to NA$CAR's exclusivity rules that could be pointed out, but this was brought up on Raceday(Motorola) and the tool one came to mind easily.

thats what i was saying a week ago.....it seems nascar and nextel get to pick and choose who they harass for sponsorship.........isnt home depot the official home inprovement store of nascar? why do they not harass johnson over lowes........should be interesting next season when nextel most likely switches over to sprint.......should be really interesting to see how they handle that without looking like the ultimate hypocrites that they are........screw na$car........the races are getting too boring to keep me awake anyway......

Guest bigfat
screw na$car........the races are getting too boring to keep me awake anyway......

10-4. The only racing that's worth watching are the short tracks. I just can't get into watching pit crews win races.

grand father claus .on some of those sponsors ..but from what was said they robby didnot let nascar know what sponsor was going to be on that car this week .so they didnt let him have it ..and yes i agree with all you poeple 100 percent .if you get the sponsor .you should be able to race them .on your car unless its in bad taste ........-with the way jr is running nascar .it will help the local tracks before to long everyone else will not go or stay home to watch ..go nascar ..lol

Mr. Covert has a point, though it's also true that NASCAR should play by the rules the've set up and they might not want to take away a team's ability to secure a new sponsor. Right now, the older sponsors are, indeed, grandfathered, but they can't change their graphics. In addition, AT&T has filed a lawsuit because NASCAR won't let them replace the Cingular badging (as Cingular will no longer be a business entity) with AT&T graphics.

NASCAR may be shooting itself in the foot, but that's their choice.

What's more important is what will happen if and when NASCAR manages to put every other racing organization in the U. S. out of business. (Don't worry about the rest of the world, as NASCAR isn't much of a blip on the international radar, despite what they'd like to believe. Case in point: four years ago, the movers and shakers in Mexico thought Champ Car was a much more important racing series in the U. S. than NASCAR. They were wrong, but perception is reality.)

What we might want to think about is backing and promoting the other series in the U. S., from short tracks on up, so NASCAR doesn't get that monopoly. But it will mean doing what NASCAR has been doing at least since R. J. Reynolds entered the picture, so we'll have a lot of catching up to do.

Guest bigfat
NASCAR is a privately held corp.

they can do what they want.

You can go race somewhere else if you do not like it.

Exactly like San Antonio Speedway did. Thank goodness.

Reb,

Not a problem ............ just change the channel next weekend.

You can watch THIS car #7 Sponsored by Motorola, driven by THIS well known driver!

(you can check her out at Danicaracing.com)

(Much better looking than Robbie Gordon :) )

post-1274-1174271047_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1174271182_thumb.jpg

Reb,

Not a problem ............ just change the channel next weekend.

You can watch THIS car #7 Sponsored by Motorola, driven by THIS well known driver!

(you can check her out at Danicaracing.com)

(Much better looking than Robbie Gordon :) )

She may be better to look at, but she's not nearly as exciting .. a racer, that is ;)

today's race was b-o-r-i-n-g with a capital BORE.

too bad all the excitement was pre-inspection. don't see how Motorola, who makes phones for Nextel, could be a compititor. helton & co really screwed up this time.

think if I was running Motorola, I'd tell Nextel (aka Sprint) to take a hike .. where the sun don't shine .. up there...

and if I was running Samsung, I'd sponsor Robby at Texas and dare'm to make any kind of deal out of it 'cause if they did I'd take my prize money and race sponsorship and go home and pay Robby handsomely for the good looking decal on his car :D .

unfortunately it's going to take something drastic to get NA$CAR's attention .. like making thousands of fans mad and publicly embarassing them. only the deep pocket sponsors have the leverage to do it .. just wish one of them would.

If NA$CAR is going to pick/choose which sponsors can be used and are looking for parity in the sport then they should take ALL sponsorship money from ALL their "approved" sponsors and split it equally among any registered team???????

I guess the Butt Paste sponsor last year was in good taste????? <_<

I agree with a few others the races are just getting too boring to watch.. Now the short tracks are fun to watch and even some of the smaller big tracks, but forget the so-called super speed ways with the restrictor plates... Just too damn borring to stay awake the 3 or more so hours it takes for it to finish...

As for the sponsor thing they got going on I cant even figure that out... So many so called competitors allowed while some others arent... I DONT GET IT....

BUD ARE YOU A DIRTY OLD MAN ....LOL YOUR IN LOVE ..I GOING TO TELL YOUR WIFE .... KNIGHT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ....THATS OK ..NOONE ELSE CAN FIGURE IT ....NEXTEL CAME ALONG AND PUT UP THE MONEY WHEN NASCAR LOST WINSTON ... FOR WHAT TEN YEARS ARE SO .SO THEY HAVE ALOT OF SAY IN THIS MATTER ..THE OTHER COMPANYS HAD THIER CHANCE AND DIDNT TAKE IT ....

I usually don't buy into conspiracy theories but even I had to think about this one :lol: it kinda goes along w/ the NA$CAR & Sponsorships theme.

:ph34r: NASCAR knew the race was boring and had to bring in a big exciting finish to try and erase the thought. Johnson wasn't going to win the Kobalt Tools 500 in his Kobalt Tools Chevy Monte Carlo SS, even Knauss and Johnson's radio chatter proved that as they had decided to conserve fuel to protect their finish. It didn't take long for yet another debris caution to fly and pitstops once again ruled out the long run to bring the competition closer together for a "shootout" type situation. Johnson was for a fact faster on the short run most of the day and to bring home the big payday for all involved there had to be one more pit stop. heheh I honestly don't think that's how it happened but one could easily see it that way I suppose.

NEVER IN MY WILDESS DREAMS WOULD I THOUGHT THAT THERE WOULD BE A DAY WHEN I WOULD WATCH 5 LAPS OF A NASCAR RACE AND WALK AWAY AND NOT SEE ANOTHER LAP ....... I WAS A VERY BIG FAN OF NASCAR .AS OTHERS ARE AND WERE ...ITS SAD THAT 35 PLUS YEARS OF BEING A FAN I DONT CARE MUCH ANYMORE .... DANG NOW I HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO WATCH .AND I DONT EVEN LIKE TV ...LOL I AM TIRED OF LONG TRACKS .IM TIRED OF THEASE BORING ANOUNCERS .SAME OLD SAME O ..WEEK END WEEK OUT ..... TIRED OF TIRE PROBLEMS . MAKE ONE TIRE AND LIVE WITH IT ....AND NOW YOU ALL ARE TIRED OF MY CONPLAINING .SOOOOOO

It sure seems like I have to really read every post to keep you all from picking on my boy Jimmie. :angry: How did this topic get changed to bash Jimmie and Jeff? I thought it was about sponsorship. Okay, I'll go away. I have to go read the backwoods dictionary to figure out what JR and Elliot Sadler are saying. I wonder what dictionary would help to know what Juan Pablo Montoya is saying? :D

Budman,

Where did you get that picture of me and who put her name on my waistband? LOL

they are making tires to good now. proof is in the fact that nascar keeps shrinking the fuel cells to MAKE them pit. their setting front ends up to run for 40 laps on a 1/4 inch of rubber on a mile and a half track , then moaning about the tire being bad?

over paid , self indulged primadonna drivers that are employed by the same people that took the rockingham date away and added the COOKIE CUTTER CAPITAL OF NASCAR as the 2nd date , to be followed by the 3rd date , it's equally boring (you can change the underwear but you can't change the smell) twin sister. ............and now they have made atlanta boring.

what's next , they find away to ruin bristol?

watch arena cross , or college baseball is fixing to get in full swing.

hehe Mikey, Ken Schrader, & Greg Biffle all just said on Inside Nextel Cup that they were all fine w/ a late caution to bring the field back together for the fans. They all also joked about the debris..... or the lack thereof.

Oh please, please, please don't tell my wife, OT! :lol::lol::lol:

I've been married to the same beautiful lady for nearly 37 years. She looks at this stuff and just rolls her eyes. She knows she's got nothing to worry about. :)

Oh, incidentially ............ Danica will be on Letterman tomorrow night ......... I suppose to promote the upcoming first IRL race of the season this weekend.

Archived