Cody Smith 14th, Colt James 22nd fastest

ChuckLicata

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 16, 2007

Cody Smith 14th-fastest, Colt James 22nd in ASA practice in Bronson

Bronson, Fla. (3-16-07) – La Vernia, TX driver Cody Smith turned the 14th-fastest in practice today as the Smith Family Racing team gets ready for tomorrow night’s ASA South Division season opener at Bronson Motor Speedway in Bronson, Fla.

After getting off to a “slow start” in practice today, Smith heated up with the weather and registered a fast time of 13.38 seconds on the 0.333-mile, high-banked asphalt track. Smith is 14th-fastest out of 41 cars entered for the ASA South Division race – the Camp Boggy Creek 100 Presented by Pennzoil and Dalton Zehr Racing.

According to Smith Family Racing officials, Colt James – the Texas driver who won the March 3 ASA race at San Antonio Speedway (the 2nd annual Quality Pre Owned Cars and Trucks Alamo 200 Presented by Express Lube and FLF Racecars) – was clocked at a fast time of 13.52 seconds, putting him 22nd-fastest on the charts.

Florida driver (and ASA South Division rookie) David Wilson clocked the fastest time of the day, registering a lap of 13.08 seconds.

“It’s an awesome feeling to come off the bad finish (22nd place) at San Antonio Speedway (on March 3) and run this well in practice on a different track,” declared a very happy Tom Smith, owner of the Smith Family Racing team. “This track is jus what we thought - it’s a cross between Thunder Hill Raceway (a 3/8-mile asphalt, D-shaped, low-banked oval in Kyle, TX) and Houston Motorsports Park (a 3/8-mile asphalt high-banked oval). It’s a bit rough but Cody handled things very well today.”

The elder Smith added, “We’re going to shoot for a top-10 qualifying position tomorrow. Then we’ll go out and look to finish the race and finish it strong.”

Qualifying for the Camp Boggy Creek 100 Presented by Pennzoil and Dalton Zehr Racing begins at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time (3:30 p.m. Central) tomorrow afternoon. The race is slated for an 8:30 p.m. Eastern (7:30 p.m. Central) time start.

To learn more about Cody Smith and Smith Family Racing, visit the team’s Web site at www.codysmithracing.com. Smith is represented by K-MAC Sports Productions of Austin; information about the company can be found at www.kmacsports.com. Information about the ASA Late Model Series can be found at www.asalatemodels.com.

- 30 -

i'm sure he is grateful for the mention..........but i'd wait to get excited until the finishing 'mention'. :D

Crazy,

You're right...let's see what happens tomorrow night!

When I talked to Tom Smith earlier tonight, he made sure to tell me where Colt finished and asked to have it mentioned in the presser...

BTW (shameless plug here), we're scheduled to talk to Colt, Cody and Casey Smith (go Bowie Bulldogs!) as part of the "Texas drivers" edition of The Motorsports Zone on March 24th. We're also working on Robert Richardson (just waiting to confirm his appearance)..

And, just heard from Dawn Murphy..I understand that Colt's scheduled to be on her show tomorrow night on KTSA-AM 500! 6-7 p.m. on TRACK SMACK..

Colt took his car to fla. without the engine, it was taken after the race at SA race and delivered by the ASA tire truck to them in Bronson Fri . am to be installed before they could get to the track for practice so he will have it worked out by race time Junior

Only the top 20 are locked in, it shows he was 26 fastest out of 37 cars. Too bad he has no points for a provisional. That's what I don't like about that small 26 car starting fields, just to have a race for the GMPP Shootout. Then again, maybe they just want to keep the accidents and yellows down. Like the Challenge race at SAS, there was 16 cautions for 72 yellow laps of racing. Hopefully they fix that in the future, even though they put on some great shows. JMO

Go get'em Colt!!!!

Colt James is just bad a$$. How come Crazyhorse didn't end up with some of that talent? LOL

what can i say????????? i got my mamas good looks , a guy can't ask for everything.

PONY BOY finished seventh .

It was a good race. Track was very small. Felt smaller than Longhorn speedway. ASA took mine and 2 others engines after San Antonio and the delivery on mine got messed up because oil was left in it and was considered a hazordous material. So all day friday we put the engine in and set up. Practice was from 2pm-9pm and we finally got out about 8pm and it started to rain at 8:30. We got about 10 laps in friday. Saturday was very good. Picked it up about 4tenth and qualified 4th. I believe 39 cars timed in. Cody had a rough race in the gm shootout. It was a wreck fest and he got caught up twice in someone elses stuff. We were passing the guy for 3rd about 20 laps in and got ran down into the apron and then into the dirt. guess he didnt see me and we looped it around. Had to restart 25th and by the time we got up to 7th the tires were gone. Had fun definentley thought we had a top 3 car. The leader was holding the top 10 up. Track was just so hard to pass on. The configuration was like corpus just alittle bit smaller and not as wide.

Guest bigfat
Track was just so hard to pass on. The configuration was like corpus just alittle bit smaller and not as wide.

Hard to imagine 20 ASA cars on a track like that....

Especially if the 28 was there. Wouldn't be 20 cars for long.

Track was just so hard to pass on. The configuration was like corpus just alittle bit smaller and not as wide.

Hard to imagine 20 ASA cars on a track like that....

If 20 sounds like a lot on that track, think about the fact that they started 28 in that race at Bronson......

Archived