Cody Smith ready for second go-around with ASA

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 13, 2007

Cody Smith ready for second go-around with ASA

La Vernia, TX (3-13-07) – Native Texan Cody Smith may be headed out of state but there will be some familiarity with his next race – the season-opener of the South Division of the ASA Late Models series in Bronson, Fla.

Smith, who ran well before falling victim to a crash in front of him and finishing a disappointing 22nd March 3 at nearby San Antonio Speedway, will try to turn his luck at this Saturday’s Camp Boggy Creek 100 Presented by Pennzoil and Dalton Zehr Racing at Bronson Motor Speedway.

The 0.333-mile, high-banked asphalt track reminds Smith Family Racing team owner Tom Smith of two tracks with which his 17-year-old son is very familiar.

“From what I can tell, Bronson Motor Speedway reminds me of a cross between Thunder Hill Raceway (Kyle, TX) and Houston Motorsports Park,” stated Smith. “The track’s configuration reminds me a lot of Thunder Hill and the track has the high banking of Houston Motorsports Park. It’s a track that has a configuration Cody’s familiar with, so we expect good results from this one.”

The younger Smith – a junior at La Vernia High School – ran at Thunder Hill Raceway two years ago on his way to the track’s Hobby Stock class championship. The talented youngster then ran at both THR and Houston Motorsports Park last year as he grabbed the Rookie of the Year Award (and runnerup championship) in the Texas Super Racing Series, his first year to drive a late model.

Smith ran his first-ever ASA-sanctioned race at San Antonio, where he qualified 22nd but made his way up to 8th place at the halfway point of the race. However, on the restart coming out of Turn 2, a lapped car spun out just behind the leaders, causing several cars to also spin out. As Smith approached, he slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the car, but they did not lock, thus sending him right into the wall.

After Ervin Breiten, Jr. and team members assessed the damage on the #18 Chevrolet Monte Carlo – sponsored by RTM Construction, Oval Components, Dodson House Moving, Brumley PEO and Salazar Family Racing – Smith’s night was over.

“We had a lot of damage to the car and Ervin Breiten and Cody worked hard on the car this week,” Tom Smith revealed. “Cody was on Spring Break but spent most of his time working on the car. He’s very excited to get back on the track and finish well in this race. Cody is in great spirits and enjoyed running in his first ASA race.”

The 17-year-old La Vernia native knows it’s not going to be easy to make the feature race. “We’re looking to bounce back strong in this race,” Cody Smith declared. “I understand there are over 39 cars entered in the race, but only 28 or 29 will run in the feature so we need to make sure we qualify for the race. But that’s not a big deal – after all, if we were afraid of having to qualify for a race then we’d be in the wrong sport.”

Tom Smith added he was pleased with the series.

“I’m really impressed with the ASA directors and officials; they really have their act together,” Smith said. “They’re very definitive about what they do on race day. When it’s time to get to tech, it’s time to get to tech, period. They are very organized and made a big impression on our team.”

To learn more about Cody Smith and Smith Family Racing, visit the team’s Web site at www.codysmithracing.com. Information about the ASA Late Model Series can be found at www.asalatemodels.com.

- 30 -

Archived