Broke ball joints

ACE44

Tommy posted a few ago he broke a coleman ball joint in practice I was at THR yesterday and Leland broke one while practicing just curriousif it was maybe the same brand if so maybe a heads up for the rest of us who may be using Coleman ball joints.

We do not use the Coleman ball joint, but there is a long history of issues with anything made of steel out of China or Taiwan. I have seen huge problems with bolts and fasteners and the like that were improperly heat treated; an example was grade 8 bolts that were simply cheap bolts case-hardened.

Case Hardening leaves a surface that is very hard, and wear resistant, but the core of the bolt is still very soft.

We found several aviation suppliers that tried to pass off inferior Chinese made bolts to the aircraft industry, some actually made it through to the planes. Took a lot of effort to identify the the bolts, in include taking planes out of service to inspect installed bolts.

Some race engine builders can also relate stories of problems with Chinese made fasteners.

I do not know, but I would have to suspect, that this could be a factor in the manufacture of the Coleman balll joint pins (if that is what broke).

Do yourself a favor and run the Howe adjustable. Easy to change pin length for you roll-center adjustments, or if you bend one.

Another thing to check is something I have seen on a couple competitor's cars. Take the spring/shock off and run the spindle through it's entire possible travel, and make sure the ball joint pin does not bind in it's socket. With the excessive travel some of the setups being run these days, it is a problem that has cropped up. Might need to get an a-arm with a different angle in the ball joint bung.

Another thing to check is something I have seen on a couple competitor's cars. Take the spring/shock off and run the spindle through it's entire possible travel, and make sure the ball joint pin does not bind in it's socket. With the excessive travel some of the setups being run these days, it is a problem that has cropped up. Might need to get an a-arm with a different angle in the ball joint bung.

yup, ran into that one myself. Went out and bought 10 degree control arms. Fixed that.

Archived