Juan Pablo Montoya

Khoneycutt

Is it just me or is everyone sick of hearing about Juan Montoya? I think it is great Nascar has some international interest, but man the guy has already got a nickname "JPM". It would be nice if Nascar promoted some of the drivers and teams that have sacrificed for years just to hopefully ride around in the back to get a small check. That is not to mention the numerous truck and busch teams struggling, but still trying to make the shows. One more reason Saturday night racing is better.

If they really wanted to do that they would eliminate all of these multi car $$$$ teams, Montoya is a huge deal who has accomplished much more than many of the "big time" superstars.

I agree, showcase Mike Wallace, Ward Burton, James Hylton etc a little bit more though.

Just wait till Juan wins a cup race, which will probably be this year, you can bet they will give him a big plug for TMS.

no different than. music . new movie stars. and such .take em and run with em ..till someone else comes along . anyone remember .the drivers .........3....17....2....24......43.......nascar has always picked one to run with .someone else will come along and take it away from juan ...

Proving once again that you have to have, import or create star drivers. Sports is always about people, not the equipment they use. Keep boosting the local short track guys the way SAS is trying to do, and you will get a crowd to watch them.

Oh, and if anybody wants to criticize Juan Pablo for taking out Scott Pruett, it's not like he was picking on someone who hadn't done it. I'm not sure Pruett was ever able to get by Willy T Ribbs in a Trans Am car without taking him out...

Pablo is NASCAR's new cash cow. They spent a lot of money to bring him back to the US where he already had a US fan base. They are going to utilize him the best they can to attract new fans. What he accomplished in the US before he left for Formula Une should make him much less of an outsider than any of the other F1 guys. He's the real deal and NASCAR will milk it for as long as they can. Within 5 years NASCAR will have Nextel Cup points races in Mexico and Canada. Within 10 years NASCAR will have points races in Europe and Asia. NASCAR going international could actually help grassroots racing. It may get NASCAR off this Saturday night kick.

Well I think nascar has hurt short track racing. The fan turn out is not as good when there is a nascar race on Saturday night. At least in corpus anyway. As far as Montoya, I bet he wins at Pocono or the Brickyard this year.

gives people something else to gripe about instead of toyota. beware of these foreigners. who cares ?if they can drive they will stick around if not the're out. nascar can go fall off the earth. support your local short track.

Khoneycutt

already got a nickname "JPM"

Ummm... he has had that nickname for a long time now. NASCAR didn't create it, they are just using what was already there.

JPM is huge. There are way more motorsports fans worldwide that know of him, that have never heard of Jimmy Johnson.

And I agree with the posts above, JPM will win this year.

TQ

I'm not sure Pruett was ever able to get by Willy T Ribbs in a Trans Am car without taking him out...

Come on TQ, Ol Wille T wasn't exactly a choir boy when behind the wheel of a TA car. :D I remember back in the late 80's at the Dallas GP when there wasn't a square inch of his car that hadn't made contact with other cars or walls. I would have been scared to be driving the pace car, as that is about the only thing that did have Wille T's paint on it.

I sure do miss the old Trans Am series. Scott Sharp, Scott Pruett, Jack Baldwin, Willie T, the Archers, Paul Gentlelosi (sp?), Boris Said, and many many others. Some of the best road racing went on in that series. Shame it had to die.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Host of the K-MAC Sports show, Dirt Track Insider

Within 5 years NASCAR will have Nextel Cup points races in Mexico and Canada. Within 10 years NASCAR will have points races in Europe and Asia. NASCAR going international could actually help grassroots racing. It may get NASCAR off this Saturday night kick.

When NA$CAR goes international, especially with points races in Europe and Asia, it will be the death of the small independent 'cause only the super-funded teams with deep pocket sponsors will be able to regularly ship cars and teams around the world. Then guys like Rousch, Hendrick, Gibbs, Childress, and Everham will have to decide where to build facilities "abroad" The Woods, Yates and Petty folks will find something else to do with their weekends... Ganassi and Penske are already international.

With the Busch sponsorship pulling out, I expect that series to go away. If it weren't for all the "buschwackers" they wouldn't have anybody in the stands anyway. When Cup goes international, the Cup drivers will be scattered all over the world at races .. entirely too expensive to fly back to Kansas for a Saturday race.

That'll leave trucks, which I'd bet your next paycheck will be spun off into a separate entity (but not sold 'cause it's a cash cow) without NA$CAR in the name. Woods, Yates and Petty will probably end up here.

Then NA$CAR will be just like F1. That is, after they get rid of all those good ole boys in middle management and replace them with Frenchmen, Italianos and Chinamen. (Gotta have that international flavor, ya know)

'Course my crystal ball is a little murky when it comes to grassroots racing. I do, however, expect the Bombers to survive! :D:D:D

Duck, .......................... (and if it goes as you say) ..................... History will have repeated itself. Nascar will have followed in the footsteps of American open-wheel, and will have totally abandoned it's grass-roots American fan base.

Now IRL and Champ Car can't even put together one event with a full field, except for Indy. Neither can F-1 for that matter.

Duck, .......................... (and if it goes as you say) ..................... History will have repeated itself. Nascar will have followed in the footsteps of American open-wheel, and will have totally abandoned it's grass-roots American fan base.

Now IRL and Champ Car can't even put together one event with a full field, except for Indy. Neither can F-1 for that matter.

Didn't say I'd like it .. Brian France is not Bill and he doesn't seem to have allegiance to anything but the $$$

The IRL/Champ Car/F-1 problem is it takes super-funded teams with deep pocket sponsors to play and there just ain't that many around.

A racing club only for the very wealthy? F-1, Champ, IRL, seems that's what they've become ................ and it seems Nascar is well on ITS way also. Before long, if things keep going as they are, there's only going to be about a half dozen owners that field competitive cars. Hell, they've already reached that point. I gotta believe it's down hill from here for the "average" Nascar fan.

How incredibly stupid!

Just look at Rousch Racing- They have a harder time finding a primary sponsor for their cars every year.

look at rcr. they have sponsorship, but because it competes with nascars official sponsors, they are having to basically abandon their sponsors.....i mean come on, do they want teams or not.......they cry because burton has cingular, now at&t, not the teams problem that at&t bought cingular.......and now they are complaining about harvick and shell competing with sunoco......its getting ridiculous......the list of the 2007 official sponsors:

Allstate (Official Insurance)

America Online (Online Partner of NASCAR.COM)

APlus (Official Convenience Store)

Bank of America (Official Bank, Checking, Savings, Credit/Debit, Mutual Funds and Security Brokerage)

Best Western (Official Hotel)

Budweiser (Official Beer)

Callaway Golf (Official Golf Ball)

Checkers/Rally's (Official Drive-Thru & Official Burger)

Chevrolet (Monte Carlo/Impala) (Official Pace Car, Official Passenger Car)

Coca-Cola (Official Soft Drink)

Combos (Masterfoods) (Official Cheese-Filled)

Country Crock (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Craftsman Tools (Official Tools)

Dasani (Official Water)

Daytona USA (Official Attraction)

Diageo (Official Wine)

DIRECTV (Official Partner of NASCAR)

Domino's Pizza (Official Pizza Company)

DuPont Performance Coatings (Official Finish)

DuPont Tyvek (NASCAR Prefers Tyvek)

Eastman Kodak (Official Imaging Partner)

Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Offical Rent-A-Car Company)

Featherlite - Vantare (Official Trailers & Luxury Coaches)

Ford Trucks (Official Truck of NASCAR)

Freightliner Trucks (Official Hauler)

Gillette (Official Shaving Product)

Goodyear (Exclusive Tire Supplier)

Gulfstream (NASCAR Prefers Gulfstream)

Hellmann's (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Housby (Semi-tractor Distributor)

Ingersoll-Rand Company (Official Partner of NASCAR)

Jackson Hewitt (Tax Service Company of NASCAR)

Kellogg's (Official Breakfast Food/Cereal/Fruit Snacks)

Klondikes (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Lawry's (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Lipton (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

M&M'S (Masterfoods) (Official Chocolate of NASCAR)

Minute Maid (Official Juice)

Nabisco (Kraft) (Official Cookies and Crackers of NASCAR)

NewPage (Paper of Choice of NASCAR)

NicoDerm (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Office Depot (Official Office Supply/Products Provider)

Old Spice (Official Antiperspirant & Deodorant)

Pedigree (Masterfoods) (NASCAR Fans' Best Friend)

POWERade (Official Sports Drink of NASCAR)

Prislosec OTC (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Ragu (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Sirius (Official Satellite Radio Partner of NASCAR)

Sony (Official Consumer Electronics)

Sprint NEXTEL (Official Series Sponsor)

Sunoco (Official Fuel)

The Home Depot (Official Home Improvement Warehouse)

Tissot (Official timekeeper and Official Watch of NASCAR)

Top-Flite (Official Golf Clubs)

Toyota (Official Passenger Car of NASCAR)

Tylenol (Official Partner of NASCAR)

UPS (Official Delivery Service)

USG (Official Partner of NASCAR)

Visa (Official Card)

Wishbone (Unilever) (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)

Yardman (MTD Products) (Official Lawn & Garden Equipment of NASCAR)

im pretty sure lowes in competition with home depot......im pretty sure miller is in competition with budweiser...im sure there are other that compete with their "official sponsors", why do they want to only single out certain teams to change their logos? friggin na$car, wont be long and i wont even waste my time watching that crap......jmo

Archived