Texas' Colt James wins the ASALMS Alamo 200 at SAS

Texas done proud as Colt James wins the 2nd annual Alamo 200 at the San Antonio (TX) Speedway

by Matt Prieur

San Antonio, TX (March 3, 2007) - The ASA Late Model Series Presented by GM Performance Parts Fifth Anniversary first event of the Fifth Anniversary 2007 Racing Season is officially in the books. The 2nd annual Quality Pre Owned Cars and Trucks Alamo 200 Presented by Express Lube and FLF Racecars is now complete for the crown jewel of the ASALMS, the Challenge Division.

The first of 11 Points races, 12 overall in the series “Where Champions Race” was at the fast 0.500 Mile High-Banked Paved Oval of the San Antonio (TX) Speedway in San Antonio, Texas. The 200-lap Feature is paid a larger than normal $10,000 to win and $1,000 just to start.

Texas fans went home very happy as Buda, Texas driver, Colt James swept the entire program by winning the ARP Bodies/Aluminum Racing Products Fast Qualifier Award and then in the 200-lap Feature, he took the lead from Eddie Hoffman on lap 52 and went on to score the biggest Feature win of his career.

Hoffman settled for second in the caution plagued race as Peter Cozzolino finished third ahead of two Pat Bourdow Memorial Rookie of the Year contenders; Sean Murphy in his first career ASALMS start, and Andy Hanson. Charlie Menard, Michael Annett, Tom Smith, Tommy Grimes, and Travis Dassow rounded out the Top 10.

Earlier in the afternoon in ARP Bodies/Aluminum Racing Products Qualifying, James started the afternoon off right as the 23-year-old Lone Star State driver won his first career ASALMS Challenge Division Fast Qualifier Award with an 18.480. James’ lap measured out to 97.403 MPH.

A complete post race recap and photos will be available in the near future.

The next event for the ASALMS will be the Southern Division 2007 Season Opener on Friday and Saturday March 16-17, 2007 at the Bronson (FL) Motor Speedway, located West of Gainesville in Bronson, Florida for the Gator 100 Presented by Pennzoil.

As for the crown jewel of the ASALMS, Challenge Division, the next event is set for Friday and Saturday March 30-31, 2007 as the Music City (TN) Motorplex in Nashville, Tennessee is the site for Race Number Two on the Championship schedule; The Spring Clash 200. Joining the ASALMS Challenge Division will be the NASCAR Whelen Modifieds Southern Series and the CRA Super Series.

Finally the ASALMS Northern Division Season Opener is set for Friday and Saturday April 27-28, 2007 at the famed O’Reilly (IN) Raceway Park at Indianapolis for the running of the A.S.I. Limited 100 Presented by Lucas Oil Products.

For more information about the 2007 seasons within all three divisions of the ASALMS, You can call the ASALMS home offices during normal business hours Monday through Friday (9am-5pm) (EST) at: 1 (800) 385-2503. Also of note, the ASALMS home offices are closed until Tuesday March 6, 2007. If needed, please call Ron and Sandy Varney at: 1 (810) 650-6617.

You can also log onto any of the three websites for more information concerning the 2007 season. For the Challenge Division, go to: ASALMS Challenge Division For the Northern Division, log in at: ASALMS Northern Division and finally for the Southern Division click on: ASALMS Southern Division

2nd annual Quality Pre Owned Cars and Trucks Alamo 200 Presented by Express Lube and FLF Racecars UNOFFICIAL Results

Pos. Start Car #/Driver Laps Status

1. 9 015 Colt James 200 Running

2. 2 8 Eddie Hoffman 200 Running

3. 1 11 Peter Cozzolino 200 Running

4. 3 32 Sean Murphy-R 200 Running

5. 4 08 Andy Hanson-R 200 Running

6. 16 13 Charlie Menard 200 Running

7. 5 12 Michael Annett 200 Running

8. 18 27 Tom Smith-R 200 Running

9. 12 22 Tommy Grimes 200 Running

10. 8 89 Travis Dassow 200 Running

11. 15 45 Michael Simko-R 200 Running

12. 11 81 Jesse Smith 200 Running

13. 17 09 John Wes Townley 199 Running

14. 20 28 Jack Smith 199 Running

15. 29 61 Chris Archer-R 199 Running

16. 7 5 Derek Thorn-R 193 Flat Tire

17. 25 47 Chris Fontaine-R 193 Running

18. 31 77 Brian Campbell 171 Running

19. 19 114 Jim Ross 170 Accident

20. 6 15 Kris Stump 141 Accident

21. 30 111 Tom Grothues 125 Mechanical

22. 14 35 Keeton Hanks 109 Running

23. 22 18 Cody Smith-R 104 Accident

24. 13 131 Ryan Lawler 101 Accident

25. 10 93 Kyle Sirizzotti-R 100 Accident

26. 23 36 Ryan Durst-R 85 Mechanical

27. 27 115 Lloyd Alexander-R 51 Mechanical

28. 24 14 Brent Seeley-R 32 Accident

29. 21 3 Bill Tomlinson 31 Accident

30. 28 16 Austin Siebert-R 0 Accident

31. 26 20 Kyle Eastham-R 0 Accident

DID NOT START: 4 Thor Anderson-R, 24 Bryant Goldsmith-R, 71 Danny Ouderkirk

Lap Leaders: 11 Peter Cozzolino-Pole, 8 Eddie Hoffman 1-51, 015 Colt James 52-200.

Cautions: 16 for 72 Laps

Time of Race: 2 Hours 14 Minutes 05.626 Seconds

What was up with all the cautions? Cold tires/track? Poor/over aggresive driving??

Yup! Cold tires, guys in the middle of the pack trying to lead the first lap, etc. Actualy had guys with crate motors spin tires on the starts.

Disclaimer: The following is not a bash of the ASA Series, or the Track or its' Officials. just an opinion

To help with the start of the race, due to the temperature, and the different rubber compounds laid down by the previous series, I think it would have been better if they had given the green/yellow for several laps to build heat into the racing surface, and to clean off the different rubber.

I think it would have been better if they had given the green/yellow for several laps to build heat into the racing surface, and to clean off the different rubber.

That may have helped some. Think it was a mixture of things that led to the 16 yellows though. After seeing the 3 shows at SAS i like the crates, pretty cool to watch the ASA races and the friendly people involved with the series.

Guest bigfat
I think not mistaking Sun Block for Mayonaise woulda helped too......

Jody,

Something you would like to share with the rest of us?

I'll let Brad tell ya. It was his fault and his dad.

Ok...

My dad was working the gas pumps Sat. and asked me to get him some food. Tammy brought some sandwhiches in for us earlier so I got him one. I was putting on sun block that was in a squeeze pack deal and figured I'd be nice and offer him some. With the cars on the track and his BAD hearing he got sun screen and mayonaise mixed up in the translation...preceeded to put it on his sandwich and ate about half of it before he realized something was wrong. Honest mistake and pretty damn funny...in my opinion. Luckly he is fine and grouchy as always.

Thanks Jody!

Great Story, Brad........

I have a little better understanding of your lineage......... ;)

Did I ever tell you about the time I mistook a tube of Preparation H for a tube of toothpaste?

My gums shrunk, but when I passed gas, it smelled minty fresh.....................

Guest bigfat
A complete post race recap and photos will be available in the near future.

Nick,

Do yall still plan on doing a complete recap?

Post Script,

All the holes are squared away.

Archived