Some Pics

blueoval

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING ABOULT THAT MUSTANG .UNLESS THEY COVERD THEM UP .THE MUSTANG THAT SLICK DROVE HAD THE EXHAUST PIPES COMING OUT OF THE QUARTER PANELS JUST BEHIND THE DOORS AND HALF WAY UP. I REMIMBER WHEN THEY BROUGHT THAT CAR OUT IT STILL HAD MOST OF THE NASCAR DRIVE TRAIN IN IT . SOME SAID THAT CAR COULD NOT WIN AT CC .BUT THEY FORGOT WHO WAS DRIVING IT AND WHO WAS WORKING ON IT .IF I REMIMBER IT WAS THE TWIN.S LARRY AND GARY KEYDS .NOT SURE IF I SPELLED THIER LAST NAME CORRECT ..WHO WORKED ON IT .AND NOT SURE WHO OWNED IT .LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEND TO IT .IF ANYONE KNOWS .THAT CAR WAS LOULD AND THE EXHAUST FLAME WOULD COME OUT AND FANS THOUGHT IT WAS ON FIRE ........

Thats not Slicks Mustang. It was #2, Then 21 and then 24. His dad, Al owned it and it did get sold to John YATES. He wasn't kin to Allen YEATS. It was a mid '60's Ford front clip with a 3 link rear and Frankland quick change. Somewhere the is a photo at TWS and John was driving it. I'll try to find it.

the mustang in the picture is a car bought from joe plowman ,the man that bought it cleaned it up and used it for car shows ,and parades in and around highlands i believe joe ran it at daytona in one of the old permatex 300 late model races, i don't know what year and yes that is a very good looking car!!

Forgive me if I go a little off-topic here...

The Ehpro car illustrates one of the things I've found interesting about racing - the similar technology in both drag and oval racing in regard to suspension and chassis.

The cage in the Ehpro car is similar to what popped up in some of the "door-car" drag-racing classes in the 90's (maybe earlier) - the drag racers call it a "funny car" cage.

On the suspension side, drag racers have for many years used a twin ladder bar setup - oval trackers use a single ladder bar and call it a torque arm. Likewise the 4-link (or "4-bar") setups.

I always wonder which side had the first implementation of each example...

• 9 months later...
Blue,

Have you got any info on that 2 car?

Definitely appears to be the restored Super Modified/Modified Stock Car owned by Garner Truck Line and driven in Houston in the mid '50s by A J Foyt Jr. Films/tapes exist of this car racing at North Houston Spdwy, and Playland Park Spdwy in that period. Also appearing on those tapes are the likes of M J Burton, Don Burton, Buddy Rackley, Billy Wade, and Norman Pierce among others from that time.

Blue,

Definitely appears to be the restored Super Modified/Modified Stock Car owned by Garner Truck Line and driven in Houston in the mid '50s by A J Foyt Jr. Films/tapes exist of this car racing at North Houston Spdwy, and Playland Park Spdwy in that period. Also appearing on those tapes are the likes of M J Burton, Don Burton, Buddy Rackley, Billy Wade, and Norman Pierce among others from that time.

Here is that very car with AJ winning the feature @ Playland

SONATA_VOLUME-210.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
the black 14 is jermy stafferd of c.c. i think.the silver 96 is not c.c.

If memory serves correctly, the Silver 96 was Greg Davidson, taken at the 1/4 mile in Altus, OK - if I remember correctly - Mike Denman won that race with Slick 2nd and Greg 3rd! I have a photo nearly identical to that one from the weekend!

The race was originally scheduled for the 1/2 mile, but rain made the pits and parking a mess, so the venue was moved across the road! It was a test of the best prepared, there was a major scramble for gears that weekend!

• 1 month later...

Blue,

Here is that very car with AJ winning the feature @ Playland

SONATA_VOLUME-210.jpg

I remember that car from a story in and old Stock Car or Circle Track magazine . I still have the picture of it , and I think it was "unrestored" at the time . And if I remember right , that was A.J.'s first race car .

Dzu-Fast,

The yellow #2 early '30s coupe bodied Super Modified Car was raced by A J Foyt Jr in the mid '50s at Playland Spdwy/Houston and North Houston Spdwy, and possibly Arrowhead Spdwy/Houston, but I don't think it was his first driven race car. But possibly his first and only Modified before '57, when he began racing Championship Cars and then his first Indianapolis 500 in '58.

the black 14 is jermy stafferd of c.c. i think.the silver 96 is not c.c.

The 96 is at CC if you look at the right you can see the track wrecker, the post' with the funny stuff on them are the stands that were added outside of turn four. Then there is the trailer, the storage room and the old beast yellow front end loader. It looks like it may have been after the annual March monster truck show because the infield has a lot of dirt and is scrapped down like it was freshly cleaned.

If memory serves correctly, the Silver 96 was Greg Davidson, taken at the 1/4 mile in Altus, OK - if I remember correctly - Mike Denman won that race with Slick 2nd and Greg 3rd! I have a photo nearly identical to that one from the weekend!

Denman won a couple races at the Altus 1/4 mile; I remember one was on Memorial Day weekend, maybe 1990, and he won another there a couple years later in a early season event.

Archived