Some Pics

blueoval

That middle pic brings back memories.

It is Sooner International in Altus. a fast half mile.

I don't know the official track record, but if I recall correctly, the TIDA record is around a 16.9 or so.

It is now closed due to Altus airport expansion. The tower and lights were too high, and they intefered with the new approach zone. Last I heard, the surface is sill there.

Everyone knows Greg in the top photo. The bottom one is at TWS, and a couple cars of note are Slick Yoemans in the red and black 24, and the yellow 81 is Greg Spreen, the current engine builder in Boerne, and the father of Dillon Spreen in the Legacy class.

also jarrett lazono in the 4 car.

I thought maybe, but was not sure.

I did not see this particular race, based on the camera date. I was busy protecting your freedoms and right to race cars that particular day.

Well, maybe not protecting so much--I was busy suntanning at Pattaya Beach, Thailand...................

that looks like CC, the #96 @ TWS/black car was Greg's car for the ARCA/Winston West Western Auto Shootout II of 1993 I believe. I remember he got extensive time on the ESPN broadcast as the hood of that car came off going into turn one and hit or almost hit a vehicle parked behind the wall.

That red #28 Mustang, is that an old Joe Plowman car? At one time, he had a car built by Bobby Allison; he only ran a few times at SAS, but was a regular at Meyer.

Red # 87 is Al Mallory; we saw a lot of his kid Blake around here. In this pic, the car actually looks like it has not been wrecked--oops, gotta be careful to not bash!!!!!

Pic after Mallorys is the Mecca of SLM racing, Pensacola. (Insert hushed tones of reverance here)

That Ehpro custom fab was a guy named Scott Ehni, built some pretty radical late models. A lot of detail in the builds. One of those cars was the subject of an article in one of the Stock Car magazines, I think Circle track.

The 96 car was Greg's Arca car and yes he did lose his hood in the first turn of lap 1.

The 87 was driven by David Starr at the Texas Race of Champions at TWS but owned by Mallory.

The Ehpro car was featured in Circle Track. I t had a nice 3 page spread.

The silver 96 was at Corpus.

The 28 Plowman special was taken at a reunion of past racers at Battleground Speedway about 15 years ago. The person bought it and restored it to its original look. The car was on display.

I have a few more pictures of Fords I will post soon.

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING ABOULT THAT MUSTANG .UNLESS THEY COVERD THEM UP .THE MUSTANG THAT SLICK DROVE HAD THE EXHAUST PIPES COMING OUT OF THE QUARTER PANELS JUST BEHIND THE DOORS AND HALF WAY UP. I REMIMBER WHEN THEY BROUGHT THAT CAR OUT IT STILL HAD MOST OF THE NASCAR DRIVE TRAIN IN IT . SOME SAID THAT CAR COULD NOT WIN AT CC .BUT THEY FORGOT WHO WAS DRIVING IT AND WHO WAS WORKING ON IT .IF I REMIMBER IT WAS THE TWIN.S LARRY AND GARY KEYDS .NOT SURE IF I SPELLED THIER LAST NAME CORRECT ..WHO WORKED ON IT .AND NOT SURE WHO OWNED IT .LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEND TO IT .IF ANYONE KNOWS .THAT CAR WAS LOULD AND THE EXHAUST FLAME WOULD COME OUT AND FANS THOUGHT IT WAS ON FIRE ........

AND NOT SURE WHO OWNED IT .LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEND TO IT .IF ANYONE KNOWS .

Oldtimer,

That Mustang was sold to a guy named John Yates in Alice, Texas. I don't know of any relationship between John and Alan.

John Yates was part of the family that had Yates Ford in Alice back then. He ran it a few times at San Antonio that I know, and the trail runs cold after that.

I think ththat family may run some car haulers out of Alice, you might be able to google for a contact number, and maybe John himself.

I bought my first Pinto race car from John Yates. He raced it at PAS ministock. I believe he did race at SAS in a Ford Fairmont last time I saw him. The Pinto was built by Dub Hamilton & Kenny Bullock a few years earlier. Dub became tech inspector in the ministock class, and helped me keep that pinto running.

Archived