Bill LaBarge wins TPS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know what pipsqueek had planned that could have been more fun than a night at the races.

He put on a good show during as well as after the race.

Now just what was I supposed to do? lol. My g/f is sitting right next to me, and the ASA race had a caution every 5-10 laps, I was getting bored, lol. And I didn't have anything else planned, lack of funds was going to keep me from racing Saturday night. Thank God for piggy banks and LOTS and LOTS of change.

Hart you havent heard the news aboult the new dance craz. .................................................. [ PIPSQUEEK SHUFFLE .... DO ALITTLE DANCE. MAKE ALITTLE LOVE . DO THE PIPSQUEEK SHUFFLE TONIGHT . COMEING TO A RACE TRACK NEAR YOU .

Hart 3 seconds is an extreme amount. In fact alot of prosedans need to do their homework because the 85 was 3 seconds faster than some of them.

Hey Poorboy - I'll concede that within a single class (any class,) a 3 second difference is a lot... BUT, you are missing my point. From class to class, especially from a four cylinder class to ASA LM, 3 seconds is quite small. Four vs. Eight cylinders, HP, etc., one would think there would be a bigger difference in times, but only a 3 second difference...? That is small when looked at in context.

Just curious, what kind of times the other classes put down at SAS.

RoadRunner:...?

Sportsman:...?

Trucks...?

Mods...?

Others...?

What is the time difference at other tracks like THR and CC???

WELL HECK THEN MAYBE LALO AND JESSIE NEED TO PUT A V8 IN THE CARS .FOR BOTH CARS ARE JUST ALITTLE OVER 100 POUNDS FROM THOSE ASA CARS .THATS BY RULE OF TPS .PINALTYS .FOR THE WAY OUR CARS ARE BUILT ..AND OTHER STUFF ..LOL ......POWER MAY JUST BE ALITTLE OFF THERE :D CREW . BUT 3 SECONDS IS CLOSE .PS CREW BOTH CARS HAVE TO WIEGH 2575 .HEAVY .THATS WHY JOHN PROBABLY THOUGHT A BOMB HIT HIM IN KYLE .BTW WHAT HAPPEND TO HIM .HOWS HE DOING .

WELL HECK THEN MAYBE LALO AND JESSIE NEED TO PUT A V8 IN THE CARS .FOR BOTH CARS ARE JUST ALITTLE OVER 100 POUNDS FROM THOSE ASA CARS .THATS BY RULE OF TPS .PINALTYS .FOR THE WAY OUR CARS ARE BUILT ..AND OTHER STUFF ..LOL ......POWER MAY JUST BE ALITTLE OFF THERE :D CREW . BUT 3 SECONDS IS CLOSE .PS CREW BOTH CARS HAVE TO WIEGH 2575 .HEAVY .THATS WHY JOHN PROBABLY THOUGHT A BOMB HIT HIM IN KYLE .BTW WHAT HAPPEND TO HIM .HOWS HE DOING .

oldtimer,

Lalo has to weigh a minimum of 2443, not 2575 pounds under the TPS rules. And he has no weight penalities. In fact, he gets 129 pound break for running an OEM frame.

Here's the way it works in TPS. Each car must weigh 1.1 pounds per cubic centimeter of engine displacement. So, Lalo would be 2338 cc times 1.1 pounds minus the 129 pound weight break.

Nick

Wanted to say congrats to all the TPS drivers and Teams...

As usual the Show was awesome....

That being said, Neil thanks for the opportunity to be part of TPS....

Mark O'Donnell

Custom Control Modules

Side Note:

I'm going to be working with Neil to give TPS Teams a discounted price on our New GPS tracking Device. These units can be put in Trailers, Pull Trucks or any vehicle you value.

oldtimer,

Lalo has to weigh a minimum of 2443, not 2575 pounds under the TPS rules. And he has no weight penalities. In fact, he gets 129 pound break for running an OEM frame.

Here's the way it works in TPS. Each car must weigh 1.1 pounds per cubic centimeter of engine displacement. So, Lalo would be 2338 cc times 1.1 pounds minus the 129 pound weight break.

Nick

THANKS NICK FORGOT lalo is driving a different car now .so i suppose we have the only car right now that weigh.s 2575 .i think we will now name it tank .funny i can pull

close to 300 pounds off of it in a matter of minutes .

THANKS NICK FORGOT lalo is driving a different car now .so i suppose we have the only car right now that weigh.s 2575 .

If you are referring to Rico's car, it must weigh a minimum of 2443 pounds, not 2575 pounds. There are no cars in TPS that must weigh in at 2575 or more.

The heaviest weight required at this point is 2496 on the Pontiac Sunbird belonging to Mike O'Conner. And that's because his engine size is 2360 CCs.

Nick

Thanks 97 for pointing me in the right direction.

Since the #7 car belonging to Jesse Sandoval, Sr, is not registered with TPS this season, I really don't know what he's running on the car.

But, if it's the same as last season, he will be running a fabricated frame which means he does not get a weight break for an OEM frame. And if he's still running that potent aftermarket Eslinger ARCA head, he does not get the weight break for running an OEM steel head.

If his engine size is still 2338 CCs, the car must weigh 1.1 pounds per Cubic Centimeter of displacement which equals 2572 pounds.

Nick

It will be registered soon . started on the motor today .the car will not race untill we test it at a track .which ever that maybe .like to test it a sas but time will tell ..... i dont know who will register it first .jessie .jr or me ...but it will race .and nick nothing has changed on it .so its still a tank ..lol that potent after market arca head sense you brought it up is starting to get out dated . alot of stroker motors now ..and a 2300 cant de .stroke .but others can . other makes motor .. just pointing out something .good thing there is no restictor for kyle ..and left side has been adjusted . lets race . no complaints

Oldtimer: Just to make sure we are on the same page with this discussion about what is the weight requirement when and if the #7 Pinto returns to TPS membership and racing, check-out the following calculations:

If you use a 2338cc engine x 1.1 lbs with the fabricated frame we all know the car is equipped, its minimum weight is 2572 lbs @ 55% left side maximum because #7 is a fabricated frame and doesn't use an OEM head. (Using the arca head at SAS all cars must use a 40mm restrictor plate and at THR, no plate under the R&D provision set forth in 2007 TPS Rules).

If, as you have in past seasons, you use the 2030cc engine x 1.1 lbs with the fabricated frame we all know the car is equipped, its minimum weight is 2233 lbs @ 55% left side maximum because #7 is a fabricated frame and doesn't use an OEM head. (Using the arca head at SAS all cars must use a 40mm restrictor plate and at THR, no plate under the R&D provision set forth in 2007 TPS Rules).).

btw - Jesse Jr. is a registered 2007 TPS member under car #3.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

We are on the same page i went and read all the rules over again just to make sure i was not over looking something .check mate ..neil the 7 car will return soon .just have to get some parts and finish all the damage it had from kyle .i will be racing that car if you want to call it .lol aswell as maybe jessie .im shooting to have it ready by the 7 th .if not it will be at the next race ..

oldtimer Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

alot of stroker motors now ..and a 2300 cant de .stroke

Oldtimer,

The 2300 can be de stroked, esslinger used to sell the kit for around $2700 a couple of years. It was also verified after the 1st SAS race last year by TPS officials using the P&G method. Only downfall was dad placed 2nd and Donnie won we got P&G'd and 70(winner) didn't. During P&G Tech official left the probe in the #2 spark plug hole and had us crank the motor over with it in there scaring a $550 custom set of pistons (can't by just one of those) and bending a couple of valves then had to replace rings, bearing, gaskets, etc. 1/8" probe in a .30" quench area and you do the math something going to get torn up. Maybe that is why we now have to sign a waiver at every race track releasing TPS of any possible liabilites.

Anyways Oldtimer back to the destroker I'm looking at the crankshaft now and will bring it to the next race I go to. The ADI crank with a stroke of 2.75 and .30 pistons in a 2.3 block will give us 2060cc +-1 or 2 cc. Not sure how you go much lower than 2035cc with a 2.3 stock bore block and a rare destroked crank so anything under 2035cc using a 2.3 block is virtually unachievable IMO.

Only one other possiblity and that would involve using 83-87 ranger block that is 2.3 in outter appearence and is uses the same crank as a 2.3 (stroke of 3.126) mustang,pinto but the bore is only 3.520 giving it the 2.0l displacement unlike the 2.3 sedan mustang/pinto block that has a bore of 3.780. Only problem that may come up is valves fitting inside ranger 2.0 cylinders. Our 2.3 block with SVO head and 1.89/1.59 valves barely fits inside 2.3 bore of 3.810 (.30 over) bore block. Our 2.3 heads would not work on the ranger block due to the valves hitting the top edge of the cylinder wall. Possibly stock size valves or smaller could work because the heads are the same on a mustang as ranger during these years.

But this configuration was never used in a sedan car so it would be illegal by TPS rules anyways.

below from 2007 TPS website

"CAR TYPES – ELIGIBLE CARS:

TPS cars are limited to four-cylinder small sedans (of the same engine/body type) sold in U.S. in quantities of at least 5,000 units"

Oldtimer, just wanted to clear that up because we ran the destroker using the 2.3 mustang block which P&G'd to our claim of 2060cc. Hope you get the car ready soon and talk to you later, tell Jesse/family we said Hi.

Also Contrats to #27 Bill on the win and Serg/Lalo running up front as usual. Wish the #85 was their at the end (as I'm sure Ja does to) would've been a hellavu finish. #85 was the class of the field hands down. Filmed/watched the race from the top the ASA trailer inside the pits anytime on open track pulled any car out there at least 1 car length down the straight aways. I'm sure he'll be back up front soon.

Bryce

BRICE IVE CHECK THE OLD RANGER MOTOR,, THE VALVES WILL HIT THE WALL . NOW WHEN I BROUGHT UP DE STROKE . I WAS PERTAINING TO THE WAY I PERCIEVE THE TPS RULE UNDER SECTION OF CARB OPTION .I TOOK IT AS WHERE IT SAID STOCK STROKE CRANK .AS TO MEAN THE FORD 2000 CC AND LARGER MOTOR WHICH WOULD BE 2300 AS BE.ING ONLY ALOULD TO RUN STOCK STROKE ......... SO I MISSED SOMETHING IN THERE .NOT NOTHING NEW :lol:.....YEP POEPLE KEEP TALKING ABOULT THAT FOCUS ...... NEW CONCEPT FOR TPS WE.LL JUST SEE WHERE IT GOES ..DONT FORGET THAT NEON .ITS NEW ALSO .I BELEIVE I SEE THE PAGES TURNING IN THE HISTORY BOOK .ID SAY ITS PROBABLY A GOOD THING .

OT, Bryce,

The "stock stroke" only applies to using the 500 Holley carb with the ARCA head:

H. The following engine components are free: crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, sleeves, pins, rings, retainers, rocker arms, cam followers, pushrods, valves and valve size, valve springs, flywheel.(Note: In DOCH engines, valves must be OEM sizes). Camshafts are free but must be in original location. Block must be OEM. After-market heads are allowed (except on engines using DOHC heads).

G. Over 2000cc domestic, rear wheel drive cars (e.g. Pinto, Mustang, Probe, Chevrolet) equipped with aftermarket cylinder head may optionally use one Holley 2bbl 500cfm (#4412) under the below described conditions:

1) No restrictor plate on ARCA head cars required for races at Thunder Hill Raceway. A 40mm x 40mm

restrictor plate is required on ARCA heads for races at San Antonio Speedway. Restrictor plate is installed between the intake manifold and the carburetor. Note: This ARCA head plate R&D rule will be for a 2007 period, length tba.

2) Pistons retain the exact design characteristics of OEM flat top pistons (valve relief OK); and

3) The crankshaft retains stock stroke; and

4) If authorized by TPS Officials.

Under the rules: Unless authorized by TPS official, the Esslinger crank would not be legal with the ARCA head and 500 Holley. It could be used with the Holley 350 or with OEM head.

There is no restriction other than listed under section G. for using the truck crank or the Esslinger crank, reference section H.

Archived