all pro at sas

oldsoldier

The black car behind the nose of Balough is Don Wilson from Colorado. The JR on the hood of that car is for "Jolly Rancher Candies". Car # 1.

The blue and yellow car behind the middle of Balough looks like the #47 of George Hagy.

The car Terry is driving is the Jim Pallas car out of Austin. Usually ran as #4, and had great runs and wins with Slick Yoemans behind the wheel.

The black car in the foreground is the #24 of Mike Harmon out of the Birmingham Alabama area. Harmon won the first All-Pro race at San Antonio in July, 1983. followed by Larry Raines and Ronnie Sanders

The background has Don Bierschwale's 18 wheeler hauler.

Balough won an All-Pro event at Corpus Christi in August, 1984, and at San Antonio in June, 1985.

Oldsoldier,

We have discussed that car before, and based on info from another board member, if the pic is from 1984, it is Butch Lindley.

If the pic is from 1985, it is Jody Ridley. Lindley was injured at Braenton Florida a few weeks before All-Pro came to SAS in June 1985.

Yes, Dale, it is the same guy who took out the Bristol gate in August, 2002.

He most recently has been driving in the ARCA Re-max series in a car # 38.

richard_nelson_1986.jpg

I have this dated 1986, but I could be wrong. Driver is Richard Nelson, from Pueblo, Colorado. He won best appearing car at the SAS All Pro race. I believe it was 1985? Car finished 6th or 7th. I remember Don Wilson and John Metcalf (notable Colorado drivers at the time) both hitting the wall hard in the event.

Hath,

It is probably 1985. All-Pro did not run at SAS in 1986 or 1987. The 85 race was on June 29, a race won by Gary Balough with Freddy Fryar a close second, about half a car length.

Always liked those gold-foil numbers.

And I see that in this pic, Nelson was pitted to John Foster from Odessa. I can tell from the ramp truck, with the small trailer that he towed behind it.

I see that I now have some "global space", and I will scan and post a pic I have of Don Wilson's car from one of his trips to SAS.

Seems like we had 2 late models and at least 2 super stocks for those big races out of Colorado.

We had several visits from Colorado racers for various events around here, Not only All-Pro, but the open SAS races, some TIDA races, and also the Austin Aquafest races.

Right off the top of my head, I can think of Don Wilson, Rick Carelli, Ray Daniels, Rich Nelson, Roger Avants ran at Sooner in Altus, there may another couple I can't recall at the moment.

Archived