Icebreaker Sunday main results 2/25/07

Icebreaker @ Abilene Speedway 2/25/07

By J M Hallas

Abilene, Tx.(Feb. 25 2007) The final day of the annual Icebreaker began under Chamber of Commerce weather, with sunny skies and better yet little to no winds. Many of the drivers on hand Friday returned along with a few newcomers to make full fields in all the IMCA classes. Unfortunately the sunny, warm conditions made for dry slick track conditions and a tricky track for the drivers.

Trauernicht Tops in Modified Main

Nebraskan David Trauernicht made it two in for the out-of-stater’s as he bested the 21-car field in Sundays IMCA Modified main. Trauernicht, who started inside row 2, quickly got past polesitter Greg Dinsmore on lap 1 and went on to hold off all comers to snag the win. Trauernicht’s victory made the second win of the weekend for Beatrice, Nebraska drivers as Jordan Grabouski took Friday night’s main.

As green waved for the 20 lap IMCA modified A-main, polesitter Greg Dinsmore was first into turn 1. Trauernicht hung on Dinsmore’s heels and when Dinsmore pushed up in turn 4 Trauernicht seized the opportunity to grab the top spot. David Davis brought out the yellow early when he broke the rear suspension on lap 1.

Back under green, Trauernicht eased away from Dinsmore, while Danny Patterson got under Charles Brewer for third. The caution was back out again on lap 4 when Josh McGaha and Bo Newton made contact in turn 4 sending McGaha around and to the pits for the day. On the restart, Dinsmore slid up in turn 4 again allowing D. Patterson to grab second. In the pack, Shane Priddy was getting past Gary Underwood for sixth.

The field had just began to separate out with gaps between the top three of Trauernicht, D. Patterson and Dinsmore when Brewer’s car spit out the driveshaft ending his top four run and bringing the yellow back out on lap 7. Trauernicht got a big jump on green leaving the rest of the field in his wake.

As the crossed flags were shown it was Trauernicht with a good lead over D. Patterson, Dinsmore, Harvey Wojtek and Priddy. Priddy was involved in a three car fight with Charlie Newton and Bill Pittaway. Lap 12 saw Tony Keigley roll to a stop in turn 2 at the same time D. Patterson was pulling up lame and off the track from second.

On the restart, Jim Thorp and Blake Pigeon got tangled between turns 3-4 to keep the yellow out. The next try saw Priddy get inside Wojtek as they battled side by side down the back stretch for third. Priddy had just gotten by Wojtek leaving him to battle with C. Newton when C. Newton broke a tie rod and slowed dramatically to bring caution back out on lap 13.

Trauernicht got away clean from Dinsmore once back to green, while Wojtek was trying to take third back from Priddy. Friday night’s runner-up, Henry Witt jr., who had to qualify through the B-main was finally making some headway moving by Underwood for sixth on lap 14. With five laps to go, Trauernicht was increasing his lead on Dinsmore, who had Priddy closing in.

Priddy caught Dinsmore on lap 18 and was putting the pressure on for second. As the duo came to take the white flag Dinsmore drifted high in turn 4 with Priddy sneaking by on the front stretch. Dinsmore battled back and got along side Priddy on the back straight. As Trauernicht was taking the checkers in his Hicks Farms, BMS Chassis, Dinsmore was retaking second from Priddy in the fight to the line.

** Trauernicht was loaded up and on the road before I could get an interview**

IMCA Modifieds

1. 37 David Trauernicht, Beatrice, Ne.

2. 86 Greg Dinsmore, Kerrville, Tx.

3. 766 Shane Priddy, Abilene, Tx.

4. 04 Harvey Wojtek, Robert Lee, Tx.

5. 137 Bill Pittaway, Corpus Christi, Tx.

6. 701 Henry Witt jr., Waco, Tx.

7. 99 Gary Underwood, Abilene, Tx.

8. 7 Steve Hayes, Eastland, Tx.

9. 89 Bo Newton, Bangs, Tx.

10. 9 Mark Patterson, Abilene, Tx.

11. 431 Robby Edwards, Eastland, Tx.

12. 79 Charlie Newton, Brownwood, Tx.

13. 40 Kevin Switzer, Millsap, Tx.

14. 13 Jim Thorp, Mertzon, Tx.

15. 763 Tony Keigley, Denton, Tx.

16. 48 Danny Patterson, Merkel, Tx.

17. 19 David Elliott, Eastland, Tx.

18. 2 Charles Brewer, Abilene, Tx.

19. 911 Josh McGaha, Clyde, Tx.

20. 02 David Davis, Sweetwater, Tx.

21. 09 Blake Pigeon, Abilene, Tx.

IMCA Modified heat races(top 2 transfer to A-main)

Heat 1.

1.02 David Davis, Sweetwater, Tx.

2. 137 Bill Pittaway, Corpus Christi, Tx.

Heat 2.

1. 79 Charlie Newton, Brownwood, Tx.

2. 2 Charles Brewer, Abilene, Tx.

Heat 3.

1. Danny Patterson, Merkel, Tx.

2. Greg Dinsmore, Kerrville, Tx.

Heat 4.

1. 766 Shane Priddy, Abilene, Tx.

2. 89 Bo Newton, Bangs, Tx.

Heat 5.

1. 04 Harvey Wojtek, Robert Lee, Tx.

2. 37 David Trauernicht, Beatrice, Ne.

Heat 6

1. 13 Jim Thorp, Mertzon, Tx.

2. 99 Gary Underwood, Abilene, Tx.

IMCA Modified B-mains(top 3 transfer to A-main)

B-main 1

1. 701 Henry Witt jr., Waco, Tx.

2. 09 Blake Pigeon, Abilene, Tx.

3. 40 Kevin Switzer, Millsap, Tx.

B-main 2

1. 763 Tony Keigley, Denton, Tx.

2. 7 Steve Hayes, Eastland, Tx.

3. 431 Robby Edwards, Eastland, Tx.

B-main 3

1. 19 David Elliott, Eastland, Tx.

2. 911 Josh McGaha, Clyde, Tx.

3. 9 Mark Patterson, Abilene, Tx.

Poor Picks Up SportMod Payday

Local driver Bradley Poor was in the right spot at the right time to pick up the IMCA Southern SportMod win. Poor capitalized on the misfortune of race long leader Philip Houston to lead the most important lap, the last one. Houston, who had led since the start had his car give up on lap 18. Poor, the 2006 IMCA SportMod track champion, worked his way into second, then jumped on the chance to grab the victory.

Polesitter, Philip Houston was the first into turn 1 at the start of the IMCA Southern SportMod 21-car A-main. After running lap 1 with the rest of the field nearly in parade formation, the top four finally sorted out with Houston, Tyler Young, Allen Colyer and Poor single file.

Michael Darby tried the high side of Poor for fourth, but Ronnie Johnson ducked inside and ran side by side with Darby for fifth, while David McKay and Dillon Smith were wheel to wheel for seventh. Smith took seventh, then got by Darby for sixth on lap 5. Young was pressuring Houston for the lead when he slipped high. This gave Colyer and Poor the chance to get by for second and third.

At halfway it was Houston, Colyer, Poor, Young and Johnson in the top five. Back in the pack, Kenneth Graves, Matt Meuller and Darby ran three wide for eighth. On lap 14 Colyer got tagged by a four car bumper to bumper train and spun in turn 2 to bring out the races only yellow. On the restart, Houston got a jump on Poor, while Smith worked his way inside Young for third.

Poor caught back up to Houston with five to go, with Young, hung on th high side, falling back to eighth. Just when it looked like Houston would hold off Poor for the win, his car slowed on lap 18. As the field scattered to avoid Houston, Poor snuck into the lead with the rest of the top ten getting shuffled around. At the finish it was Poor in the Coors Light, Pflugerville Machine, Abilene Powder Coating, Braka Operating, Smileys, Larson Chassis getting the win.

“I just kind of stayed in line and waited,” said Poor. “It was one lane and you had to hang in there. One guy broke, another spun out, I just had to stay there and wait for them to move. If they didn’t you’d pretty much going to get wherever you’re running at. I don’t get near as much practice as people think I do because my dad runs the track. They think I do, but I only come out on regular practice day.”

“I’d like to try to run for the Southern Region title this year, but the guys that contend for that run two times a week. Here I only race once a week and I’m lucky to get 30 races in the book.”

IMCA Southern SportMods

1. 48 Bradley Poor, Abilene, Tx.

2. 172 David McKay, Van Alstyne, Tx.

3. 38 Matt Meuller, Stamford, Tx.

4. 951 Steve Hayes, Eastland, Tx.

5. 41 Kenneth Graves, Tahoka, Tx.

6. 03 Dillon Smith, Waco, Tx.

7. 12 Jerry Graves, Lubbock, Tx.

8. 89 Michael Darby, Wylie, Tx.

9. 9 Gary Underwood, Abilene, Tx.

10. 122 Tyler Young, Midland, Tx.

11. 19 Michael Sheen, Midland, Tx.

12. 121 Travis Graves, Lubbock, Tx.

13. 16 David Riley, Wolfforth, Tx.

14. 2 Allen Colyer, Abilene, Tx.

15. 63 Donny Miller, Tom Bean, Tx.

16. 28 Gabe Tucker, Carbon,Tx.

17. 3 Philip Houston, Odessa, Tx.

18. 17 Scotty Wallace, Lorenzo, Tx.

19. 8 Ronnie Johnson, Abilene, Tx.

20. 26 Jr Robertson, Midland, Tx.

21. 90 Todd Poor, Abilene, Tx.

IMCA Southern SportMod heat races(top 2 transfer to A-main)

Heat 1.

1. 172 David McKay, Van Alstyne, Tx.

2. Gary Underwood, Abilene, Tx.

Heat 2

1. Tyler Young, Midland, Tx.

2. 63 Donny Miller, Tom Bean, Tx.

Heat 3

1. 38 Matt Mueller, Stamford, Tx.

2. 2 Allen Colyer, Abilene, Tx.

Heat 4

1. 89 Michael Darby, Wylie, Tx.

2. 17 Scotty Wallace, Lorenzo, Tx.

Heat 5

1. 48 Bradley Poor, Abilene, Tx.

2. 03 Dillon Smith, Waco, Tx.

Heat 6

1. 8 Ronnie Johnson, Abilene, Tx.

2. 3 Philip Houston, Odessa, Tx.

IMCA Southern SportMod B- mains(top 3 transfer to A-main)

1. 26 Jr. Robertson, Midland, Tx.

2. 41 Kenneth Graves, Tahoka, Tx.

3. 121 Travis Graves, Lubbock, Tx.

B-main 2

1. 19 Michael Sheen, Midland, Tx.

2. 90 Todd Poor, Abilene, Tx.

3. 16 David Riley, Wolfforth, Tx.

B-main 3

1. 28 Gabe Tucker, Carbon, Tx.

2. 951 Steve Hayes, Eastland, Tx.

3. 12 Jerry Graves, Lubbock, Tx.

Murty is the Main Man in I-Stock Scramble

Iowa’s Damon Murty showed why he was a former IMCA Stock Car National Champion as he followed up a strong third place finish on Friday night with a win on Sunday ahead of another former National Champion Duain Pritchett. Murty started on the pole and led every lap of the feature to take the Texas money back to Iowa. I’m sure it will the 16 hour trip back more enjoyable.

Murty was quickly into the lead as green flew on the 20-car, 20-lap feature. Outside front row driver Delmar Slone fell into the clutches of Duain Pritchett when a multi-car tangle in turn 1 slowed the action on lap 1. Murty jumped out on green and was quickly away while John Armstrong got sideways in mid-pack. Armstrong was able to get it righted and somehow was missed by the rest of field.

By lap 5, Murty was increasing his lead over Pritchett with Kelly Sheen taking a peek inside Slone for third. James Brower continued to have trouble as he did a half spin in turn 1 and fell back. At the mid point it was Murty with a nice lead, Pritchett, Slone, Sheen and Fred Wojtek in the top five. Toby Miller brought out a yellow on lap 12 when he suffered a flat and nearly missed the pit exit.

Once back to green Murty got away from the field again easily. With Murty in the wind and Pritchett alone in second, the battle for third heated up between Wojtek, Sheen and Slone. Wojtek was looking low on Sheen for fourth, but at the same time Sheen was trying to go by Slone on the high side. It was three wide for third coming out of turn 2, with Sheen getting the position.

Wojtek was able to get around Slone for fourth in the final laps. Up front it was still Murty with a comfortable lead over Pritchett. When the checkers waved it was Murty in the Curt Minat, Bidwell Farms, Mike and Carol, Freemont Farms, J&B NAPA, JR Motorsport Engines, Renegade Chassis taking the win.

“It’s a lot of luck,” said Murty. “I had a good redraw and got the pole. I just had to hold my line and not look back. I knew I had Duain (Pritchett) behind me and I told him just before the race to be prepared to put on the brakes going into turn 1. I was going to take it nice and easy the first few laps to feel things out. He said he would and it worked out.”

“I like coming down here for the Icebreaker. It’s just a good time to get away, it’s cold back home and gives us a chance to get some sun and have fun.”

IMCA Stock

1. 99 Damon Murty, Chelsea, Ia.

2. 221 Duain Pritchett, Combine, Tx.

3. 15 Kelly Sheen, LaMesa Tx.

4. 44 Fred Wojtek, Robert Lee, Tx.

5. 21 Delmar Slone, Christoval, Tx.

6. 64 Cary White, LaMesa Tx.

7. 122 Bill Brzezinski, Roby, Tx.

8. 416 Bobby Sikes jr. Eunice, NM.

9. 72 Charles Brewer, Abilene, Tx.

10. 9 John Armstrong, Merkel, Tx.

11. 22 Billy Wade, San Angelo, Tx.

12. 7 J W Johnson, Brownwood, Tx.

13. 25 Terry Owen, Merkel, Tx.

14. 119 Windle Gaston, Alba, Tx.

15. 37 Kevin Watson, Sweetwater, Tx.

16. 66 Lance Shaw, Sweetwater, Tx.

17. 125 Toby Miller, Boyd, Tx.

18. 80 James Brower, Sanborn, Ia.

19. 87 Kevin Sustaire, Emory, Tx.

20. 47 Mike Mauer, Cedar Falls, Ia.

IMCA Stock Car heat races(top 3 transfer to A-main)

Heat 1.

1. 99 Damon Murty, Chelsea, Ia

2. 44 Fred Wojtek, Robert Lee, Tx.

3. 21 Delmar Slone, Christoval

Heat 2.

1. 221 Duain Pritchett, Combine, Tx.

2. 66 Lance Shaw, Sweetwater, Tx.

3. 9 John Armstrong, Merkel, Tx.

Heat 3.

1. 122 Bill Brzezinski, Roby, Tx.

2. 72 Charles Brewer, Abilene, Tx.

3. 22 Billy Wade, San Angelo

Heat 4.

1. 87 Kevin Sustaire, Emory, Tx.

2. 64 Cary White, La Mesa, Tex.

3. 15 Kelly Sheen, La Mesa, Tx.

IMCA Stock Car B-mains(Top 4 transfer to A-main)

B-main 1

1. 416 Bobby Sikes jr, Eunice, NM.

2. 119 Windle Gaston, Alba, Tx.

3. 25 Terry Owen, Merkel, Tx.

4. 7 J W Johnson, Brownwood

B-main 2

1. 125 Toby Miller, Boyd, Tx.

2. 47 Mike Mauer, Cedar Falls, Ia.

3. 80 James Brower, Sanborn, Ia.

4. 37 Kevin Watson, Sweetwater, Tx.

Ater Aces Hobby Stock Feature

After a year and half hiatus recovering from a broken neck, Ft. Worth’s Chris Ater found his way back into the Winners Circle taking the 20 lap IMCA Hobby Stock feature. Ater, who started in row 3 patiently worked his way up taking over the lead on lap 6 from early front runner, Jim Bates. From there Ater built a big lead while the rest of field battled for position.

At the start of the 20 lap IMCA Hobby Stock feature, Polesitter Jim Bates got the point on lap 1 with two-three wide racing in the pack. Ater began his methodic move to the front getting by Charles Cosper for third on lap 2, while Mark Bullock jr. and Nathan Sodek ran door to door for fifth. Ater got along side Tanner Cox on lap 3 and after a brief side by side battle took over the spot.

Bates got loose on lap 4 stacking up Ater and Cox behind him. Ater got a good run on Bates going into turn 1 on lap 5 and took command on lap 6. Ater then eased away from Bates, Cox and Cosper, as Bullock, Sodek, Allen Montgomery and Friday night’s winner, Nyle Godwin battled for fifth. Godwin’s chance for the weekend sweep ended on lap 9 when he lost the axle and stopped in turn 2.

Ater got a big jump as the green flew again and the race came to halfway. Bates, Cox, Cosper and Bullock rounded out the top five at that point. As Ater increased his margin, Bates and Cox traded a little paint in the fight for second. While Ater was sailing away, Bates, Cox and Cosper continued the nose to tail bumper tag as they fought it out for the runner up spot. When the dust settled, literally, it was Ater in the Azle Plumbing, Burrows ABC Auto Salvage, Dwayne Wolf Engines, Destroyer Chassis getting the win by a big margin.

“It felt good to be back,” replied Ater. “I’ve been out for about a year and a half, had neck surgery and had to get better from that, but I enjoyed it. I stayed with it and drove it hard. If it wasn’t for these two gentleman here(crew) I wouldn’t have made it. They put my car together and put mine before theirs. Shake and bake, baby! I picked a line and went with it. It was hard to see in turn 1, because of the sun, I just drove by feel.”

IMCA Hobby Stock

1. 17 Chris Ater, Ft. Worth, Tx.

2. 23 Tanner Cox, Colorado City, Tx.

3. 83 Jim Bates, Breckenridge, Tx.

4. 033 Charles Cosper, Belton, Tx.

5. 60 Nathan Sodek, Temple, Tx.

6. 27 Mark Bullock jr., Sunnyvale, Tx.

7. 73 Gene Hadley, Burleson, Tx.

8. 31 Ricky Turner, Ft. Worth, Tx.

9. 80 Jason LIngnau, Abilene, Tx.

10. 22 Scott Young, Midland, Tx.

11. 37 Lynn Gibson, Rhome, Tx.

12. 07 Stephan Robison, Abilene, Tx.

13. 1 Willie Free, Snyder, Tx.

14. 06 Truman Davis, Sweetwater, Tx.

15. 39 Judy Heronema, Andrews, Tx.

16. 38 Allen Montgomery, Rhome, Tx.

17. 35 Noel Jones, Ft. Worth, Tx.

18. 11 Nyle Godwin, Redfield, Ia.

19. 3 Paul Norman, Abilene, Tx.

20. 106 Richard Craig, Clyde, Tx.

IMCA Hobby Stock heat races(top 3 transfer to A-main)

Heat 1

1. 83 Jim Bates, Breckenridge, Tx.

2. 11 Nyle Godwin, Redfield, Ia.

3. 73 Gene Hadley, Burleson, Tx.

Heat 2

1. 23 Tanner Cox, Colorado City, Tx.

2. 35 Noel Jones, Ft Worth, Tx.

3. 80 Jason Lingnau, Abilene, Tx.

Heat 3

1. 17 Chris Ater, Ft. Worth, Tx.

2. 033 Charles Cosper, Temple, Tx.

3. 07 Stephan Robison, Abilene, Tx.

Heat 4

1. 38 Allen Montgomery, Rhome, Tx.

2. 60 Nathan Sodek, Temple, Tx.

3. 27 Mark Bullock jr., Sunnyvale, Tx.

IMCA Hobby Stock B-mains(top 4 transfer)

B-main 1

1. 106 Richard Craig, Clyde, Tx.

2. 22 Scott Young, Midland, Tx.

3. 31 Ricky Turner, Ft. Worth, Tx.

4. 3 Paul Norman, Abilene,Tx.

B-main 2 1. 37 Lynn Gibson, Rhome, Tx.

2. 06 Truman Davis, Sweetwater, Tx.

3. 39 Judy Heronama, Andrews, Tx.

4. 1 Willie Free, Snyder, Tx.

Archived