Help Wanted - Chief Tech

NickHolt

SAS General Manager and USRA Race Director Rick Day has been looking for a Chief Tech official at SAS and USRA for some time now. It's time - way past time, actually - for a few qualified people step up.

Sure, it's a difficult and, sometimes, thankless job, but having a fair, knowledgeable tech man is very important to any racing organization. We all know that. Having a level playing field for us to play on is one of the basics. Without it, racing suffers.

Until good, honest people step up and make things better, how can any of us expect improvement? All the complaining in the world isn't going to help matters. It just makes things worse. Well, here's a track and series asking for our help. Who's ready to step up?

Nick Holt

Sure Soaker.....Who? Anyone else have someone in mind? I would sign up in a heartbeat but to be honest....I dont have a clue. What I know is enough to be dangerous. We really need someone that knows what to do and what to check. I nominate Matt Howell.

I'd like to nominate Larry Bendele. He's one of the most knowledgeable racers around

Hmmm, I am reminded of a quote stated when NASCAR hired Gary Nelson as their Tech guru-- "Like giving the jailhouse keys to the head inmate..." :D

NA PAPA ,I OFFERED AND I EVEN TOLD THEM THAT IF THEY WHERE NOT ILLEGAL ID PAY OUT OF MY POCKET TO PUT THERE MOTOR BACK TOGETHER IF THEY THERE LEGAL. PROBLEM IS YOU WOULD RUN HALF THE FRONT RUNNERES OFF THEN WHO WOULD BE THERE LEFT TO RACE---ALTHOUGH I AM NO WHERE NEAR AS SHARP AS SOME PEOPLE, I THINK I AM SHARP ENOUGH TO FIND THE PERSON TO TELL ME YEA OR NA. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT SAS THE BEST YOU EVER HAD IN A WHILE WAS TERRY BARDEN ------

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT SAS THE BEST YOU EVER HAD IN A WHILE WAS TERRY BARDEN ------

very true........wayne was pretty stout as well.

my vote is for TXTOM....but something tells me there ain't enough money in the world ;)

i think it's very cool that you guys are making an attempt.

my vote is for TXTOM....but something tells me there ain't enough money in the world

At this time, you are correct; not enough money. I am not yet ready to become the next no-good overteching, nitpicking, double standard sorry S.O.B. to call himself a techman............

No wait, that is what everyone else would be calling me less than two weeks after I took it.

Funny, every former Tech Official or Competition Director I know can't have dinner with half the "friends" he had before he took the job.

Sorry, not ready for all the bull crap that the officials go through around here.

Tom you make it sound like a bad job!! lol I know what you mean though.

Rick has tried to do what he can with the knowledge he has, and we have both talked to people for almost a year now about the job. Seems many guys just don't want to do it, so the search continues...

I met Randy in December, and he really impressed me. But I doubt Graham will let him come to SAS, especially since some of their races are on the same night, I think.

I don't know anything about John Hamilton, but I think Mission builds several of the engines at SAS.

One thing to keep in mind is when you find a good one, to help keep him not only should he have the title but also the authority to make a call with out it being overturn from a higher person. :(

I AM NOT SAYING THIS WILL HAPPEN BUT IT HAS HAPPENED IN THE PAST CAUSING SOME GOOD TECHS TO LEAVE

Last time I saw Rick Rapp I asked if he would like the USRA end of the job... He considered it for about half a second and politely declined.

Actually, Rick would be perfect for both the SAS and USRA ends of the deal.

Nick

Hamilton is a guru,for sure,but I bet he is a very busy guru.

This may be pie in the sky dreaming of course but,one way the tracks could start working together would be to share tech personel.Knowlegde and elbow grease.If a former racer is being paid to tech at a track he or she has no ties with,would'nt it help eliminate some of the politics involved.There again,tracks helping each other seems to just be a dream for some.It would be easier for Randy Anderson to be strict with the rules at SAS than at his home track.The same would go for say...Ervin Brieten,Larry Bendele,Pat Lane....etc.

Anyone think about asking Vernon Burke?

Or maybe a team effort of say...Vernon,John Benker,Tommy Owens?

Archived