HOME BUILT TITLE

RobbinsSr

Ok I purchased the #3 Texas Super Coupe with plans of putting it on the street. Getting it street leagl (if I can figure out an easyer way to get my fat but through that window) is no problem, I have done that before. But the problem getting it titled and registered. Has anyone built a hot rod and had to do this before?

post-1847-1172177362_thumb.jpg

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/custom-built-cars.php

Custom-built or home-built vehicles are subject to special registration requirements. First off, they'll need a safety inspection by a licensed safety inspection shop. Your title application must include the Standard of Safety Statement (Form VTR-470), signed by an official inspector. The inspector will make sure your vehicle has all the necessary safety equipment, such as the correct mirrors, adequate brakes, headlights, turn signals, seat belts, and so forth.

When looking for an inspection station, try to choose one that has inspected custom-built vehicles before (in other words, they have experience determining whether such unique vehicles are safe). What are you up against? You can look up a detailed list of the components that will be verified during a standard vehicle safety inspection.

You may need the state to issue your creation a vehicle identification number, or VIN. Be prepared to hand over all receipts or bills of sale for all components that you used to assemble the vehicle (this means keeping diligent records for the duration of your project). This is partly so the state can make sure neither the chassis nor any of the parts were stolen, and also to help determine the value of the vehicle.After all this, be sure to get the vehicle insured. Then it's off to your local County Tax Assessor-Collectors office to initiate the titling and registration process.

Depending on the county you register it .... beware of emmission requirements. I got my truck inspected in Burnet county the other day, and had to sign a statement that I would not drive it in neighboring Travis county because of their stricter emmission requirements.

Good point.. I don't know if the law is in place here but in other states, if you use a "modern drivetrain" in an older vehicle, the completed vehicle has to meet the emission requirements of the donor vehicle, not the chassis it is in.

Travis county says that all vehicles must pass the emission standards for the year of manufacture and worst case they might decide the "year of manufacture" is the year your coupe was assembled which would mean retrofitting with a catalytic converter, air pump or whatever else is required to meet the standard..

Archived