ASALMS race at SAS

HORSEPOWER

I sure love watching the SLM's more, love the power and sound of thunder. I do travel a lot to see them out of state. Wish I could go to "The Rattler", looks like they are going to have a great field. Not sure how much I will travel to see some of our locals race out of state this year, because of financial reasons. I am actually going to stay home and support our local track, plus it will be cheaper. I think the ASALM put on a pretty good show any where they go. Plus the last three races had some good racing, I expect this years race to be even better.

Josh

I got the following e-mail from Matt Prieur (ASA PR) this morning regarding the entries for the Alamo 200:

We're at full field status with 28 entries as of 9:30am (EST) Thursday February 22, 2007. We're expecting about 35-40 cars and there's a bunch more that haven't pre entered. Here is the pre entry list as of this morning.

Driver Entries for Alamo 200 Race at SAS

Too cool!

how can there be 23 ASA Late Models in Houston and not one enrty in this event? Is this the track Nick was talking about that does not allow them to run at San Antonio? Why no support from Houston Drivers, you would think they would have an advantage because most of them have raced here. ????????????????????????????

how can there be 23 ASA Late Models in Houston and not one enrty in this event? Is this the track Nick was talking about that does not allow them to run at San Antonio? Why no support from Houston Drivers, you would think they would have an advantage because most of them have raced here. ????????????????????????????

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by writing this [edited out by Nick Holt, 2/23/07], towmader, but I can assure you that I was NOT referring to HMP.

I think you may be confusing ASALMS with a new track sanctioning group headed by Dennis Huth which is attempting to organize short tracks around the country. They call themselves the ASA - which, unfortunately. is quite confusing to most of us. Just because HMP is a member ASA track has nothing whatsoever to do with the ASALMS which sanctions LM events around the country.

That being said, I'm sure the ASALMS folks would welcome any and all HMP LMs who met the ASALMS rules.

Nick

I don't think Houston is full ASA rules yet just sanction,I think most of them are running the MSD package instead of the ACCELL of whatever one ASA requires for their races,plus I don't know what tires they are running,but hey at least Greg Davidson is up for the challenge.

What I gathered from the 2 meetings at HMP was they are working toward ASA rules but they did not want to impose all of those changes at once. This would cost $ that many are not prepared to spend right now. I believe that ASALMS requires the Crane ignition, ABC bodys and they have a maximum dollar per shock rule tires are also different. I can not remember anything else but those are all big ticket items.

There are also those of us who have limited experience in the late models and will spend some time just trying to catch up to some of the SLM guys racing the Pro LM class this year. That will be a big enough task by itself.

how can there be 23 ASA Late Models in Houston and not one enrty in this event?

Why no support from Houston Drivers, you would think they would have an advantage because most of them have raced here.

Alright, here are some technical reasons to answer your question.

The San Antonio ASA race is a "Challenge" race. The Challenge series has different rules than the standard package of rules run by the ASA South, North, or independently like Houston, Pensacola, or Mobile.

The two major differences are cambered rear ends and radial tires.

Only a few of the Houston racers would have the cambered rearends, guys like Greg who run everywhere.

The 4 figure cost of the parts to use just one race a year makes it impractible, as well as the cost of the radial tires for one race. Remember, the camber rears and radials cannot be used at Houston.

Is this the track Nick was talking about that does not allow them to run at San Antonio?

Would you like to explain yourself here? Are you saying Graham Baker will not allow his racers to race at SAS? IF that is your assumption, you are dead wrong, and have no basis for what you stated.

Some of the racers that will race at SAS are registered at Houston, and Graham does not dictate where we race at any time. About a fourth of the current registered drivers for the SAS race have raced at Houston, and most of those will be regulars at Houston again this year.

Here's the explanation I got from Matt Prieur (ASA PR) on the 28-car field:

Yes, 28 cars is a full starting field. Here's how it's going to work:

The Top 24 in ARP Bodies/Aluminum Racing Products Qualifying are locked in (An inversion between 6-10 will then be drawn by the Fast Qualifier). The Next Two will come from the Top Two in the 2006 ASALMS Challenge Division Owners Points Standings who aren't locked in. The Final Two will be reserved for Past Champions of the ASALMS, if the Champions provisionals aren't needed, then the next two in Qualifying not already in the field, will round out the 28 car field.

I this explanation helps. Yes, we had close to 40 cars enter last April's Challenge race (can't remember the exact number). I know it will be disappointing for those drivers who don't make the starting field, especially since many of them are travelling really far for this race.

Wow that's a lot of cars on the starting grid, wish I had seen that race. I think I seen results from the past at the Snowball Derby, where they started over 40 cars a few times. I think at a couple of the races from last years ASALMS schedule had a 2-4 extra starting spots, not sure but it might be up to the promoter to add these spots, and pay out the money for the added positions.

Here's a link that shows the driver's (38) at last years race. http://www.asalatemodels.com/story.asp?StoryID=4001

If you added some of the guys that are not on the current list, there will be about 50 cars showing up. Does anyone know if Brandon Bendele or J.C. Umscheid will race in someones place?

I remember we started 43 late models in a race back about 1985 and ran out of speedy dry half way thru the feature,that is the most that I remember.

Yep, 1986, a race won by Slick Yoemans in the Jim Pallas #4. Had Don Wilson, Ray Daniels, and Rick Carelli from Colorado, Bobby Kolar from OK City, and Dick Anderson from Florida. No one had anything for Slick except for Anderson, and he broke.

But it was too many cars.

Reminds me of a race in late 1986 at Corpus that started 38. Yes, 38, for a 100 lapper. Slick won that one also, with Robbie Loomis as his crewchief.

Both of those races were caution fests.

I agree with ASA, limit the field to 28.

Archived