Young Cody Smith gets ready for ASA LMS Race

For Immediate Release

San Antonio Speedway Vice President & Asst. Gen. Mgr.

(210) 648-7373 (office); (210) 685-0400 (cell)

debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com

Young Cody Smith gets ready for ASA Late Model Series Challenge Race

San Antonio, TX (February 20, 2007) – San Antonio Speedway’s ASA Late Model Series (ASA LMS) 2nd Annual Alamo 200 race presented by Express Lube is right around the corner. Young Cody Smith from LaVernia, Texas, has been preparing for this race by practicing on the high-banked oval the past couple of weeks.

The ASA LMS Challenge Series made its San Antonio Speedway debut last April, and the 2nd Annual Alamo 200 is scheduled to run on Saturday, March 3.

Smith will be joining ASA drivers from all over the country in this highly competitive race, and he’s hoping his experience at some of the local tracks – along with his recent practice sessions – will give him a good shot at winning this big event. Smith clocked in some good lap times in yesterday’s practice session, even though he wasn’t using new tires.

“The track felt good yesterday,” commented Smith. “It’s still somewhat green and needs some rubber laid down, but the car is handling well.”

Smith added, “I have a lot of confidence in my new Crew Chief Ervin Breiten – he’s taken a lot of pressure off me and my family. It’s great to have someone with his experience to help me fix the car.”

“I grew up watching the races – and then I watched my brother race,” said Smith. “It looked like it was fun, and I’ve always wanted to race too. It’ll be interesting to see how my driving compares with the racers from up north. I’m hoping that my experience from Texas World Speedway and Thunder Hill Raceway will also help me be a strong competitor in the Alamo 200.”

Smith will be driving the blue #18 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that is sponsored by RTM Construction, Oval Components, Dodson House Moving, Brumley PEO and Salazar Family Racing. Long-time local racing expert, Ervin Breiten, Jr. has assumed the role of Smith’s Crew Chief. Other pit crew members include Bobby and Jennifer Black and Jarod Benker.

This 17-year-old junior at LaVernia High School in LaVernia, Texas, began his racing career in the Hobby Stocks at Thunder Hill Racing at the age of 15. He advanced to the Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) during the 2006 season, and he finished second in the TSRS points’ race and earned the Rookie of the Year title in that series.

Smith’s parents, Tom and Barbara Smith, fully support their son’s racing endeavors. Tom lends his advice on the radio, and Barbara closely watches her son take laps around the speedway.

“Yes, it makes me real nervous when Cody’s in the race car,” commented Smith’s mom. “But it’s something he’s always wanted to do, and he knows he can count on us for our support. He’s been working on his car for at least three hours daily on weekdays, and then it seems like he works on it 24/7 during the weekends. Having a dedicated pit crew will really help him out this year, and he’ll have to learn to trust the crew to maximize the car’s performance.”

Smith plans to run the entire 2007 schedule for the ASA LMS South Division – and hopes he has a shot at the championship. He’ll be traveling to racetracks all over the southern region of the U.S. – including tracks in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina and Tennessee.

The grandstand gates open at 4:00 p.m. for the Alamo 200, and fans will be given the opportunity to meet Smith and the other ASA LMS racers during an autograph session that begins at 5:45 p.m. The racing action gets started promptly at 7:00 p.m.

The agenda for the March 3 season opener at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) will also include the Texas Pro Sedans and the SAS Sportsman and Road Runner classes

San Antonio Speedway is located at 14901 State Highway 16 South towards Poteet, just 3.5 miles outside Loop 410 and inside Loop 1604. Admission is $25 for adults, $15 for senior citizens and military and spouse (with ID) and $5 for children 7-12. All 13 Express Lube locations in San Antonio are offering coupons for a free child’s admission with the purchase of an adult admission. Children 6 and under are admitted free.

For more information, call the Speedway’s hotline at (210) 628-1499 or log onto their website at http://sanantoniospeedway.com. To find out more about the ASA Late Model Series, visit their website at http://asalatemodels.com.

Archived