Daytona 500 sets the stage for Alamo 200 at San Antonio Speedway

For Immediate Release

San Antonio Speedway Vice President & Asst. Gen. Mgr.

(210) 648-7373 (office); (210) 685-0400 (cell)

debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com

Daytona 500 sets the stage for Alamo 200 at San Antonio Speedway

San Antonio, TX (February 19, 2007) – The Daytona 500, known as the Great American Race – considered to be the Super Bowl of stock car racing by most of its fans – is now in the history books after running its 49th annual race yesterday. Riding on the momentum of the Daytona 500 is the upcoming ASA Late Model Series (ASA LMS) Alamo 200 scheduled to run at San Antonio Speedway on Saturday, March 3.

The ASA LMS Challenge Series made their San Antonio debut last April, and this year’s event is shaping up to be just as exciting as last year’s competition.

“We anticipate a big field of cars for the Alamo 200,” said Rick Day, San Antonio Speedway’s President and General Manager. “The ASA is a respected, well-known series that has quickly become the most prestigious late model showcase in the nation. We feel very fortunate that the ASA LMS Challenge Series has chosen to race at San Antonio Speedway to start off its fifth annual season.”

ASA drivers from all over the country will be making the long trek to San Antonio Speedway not only to compete, but also to perfect their skills towards becoming professional drivers. These ASA drivers have gained the attention of the racing world, and they will use their experiences from short tracks throughout the nation to launch their racing careers – and possibly paving the way to becoming the Daytona 500 stars of the future.

Several ASA teams will be visiting the San Antonio this week to prepare for the second annual Alamo 200 at San Antonio Speedway. Testing their cars in today’s practice session at the speedway are two drivers from the Ken Wills 5K Motorsports team.

Kris Stump from Tipp City, Ohio, will be testing his #15 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Stump made his San Antonio Speedway debut last April and proudly claimed a second-place finish in the first Alamo 200. He’s hoping his previous experience at the track will help him win the upcoming race.

“San Antonio Speedway is a really fun track to drive,” said Stump. “It took me some time to figure out the handling, but I’m hoping my 200-plus laps around the track will give me a bit of an advantage. But I know that my teammate, Derek Thorn, will be challenging me on the track. Ken Mills has provided us some great cars to run, and I’ll be disappointed if one of us doesn’t win.”

Stump is 26-year-old and is married. He has been racing since he was 15, starting with Street Stocks and moving up the ranks into Super Late Models and into the ASA LMS. Stump captured the Super Late Model Championship at Kil-Kare Speedway in Xenia, Ohio, in 2000 and 2001 and finished second in the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series regional points’ standings.

After racing a full season last year with the ASA LMS, Stump finished fifth in the ASA LMS Challenge Division standings.

Derek Thorn will also be representing 5K Motorsports in the March 3 race. This single, 20-year-old driver from Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, started out by racing BMX bikes at the age of six. Since then, he’s raced go-karts and Bomber and Modified stock cars.

Thorn raced a couple of times last year with the ASA LMS. Driving for 5K Motorsports, Thorn claimed a second-place finish at Music City Motorplex in Nashville, Tennessee last November, after leading the race for 136 laps.

Racing at San Antonio Speedway will be a new experience for Thorn. “I really don’t know what to expect during practice today,” said Thorn. “I’m looking forward to learning more about the track.”

Both team members want to win the race, but they mentioned their respect for each other on the track. Thorn jokingly added, “We’ll certainly try to do a little drafting, but we’ll try not to wreck each other.”

Car Owner Ken Wills feels confident that his team will do well this year. “I feel this team has a great chance to win races this year,” said Wills. “We have our sights set on winning a championship.”

The agenda for the March 3 season opener at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) will also include the Texas Pro Sedans and the SAS Sportsman and Road Runner classes

The grandstand gates open at 4:00 p.m., and fans will be given the opportunity to meet the 5K Motorsports drivers and the other ASA LMS racers during an autograph session that begins at 5:45 p.m. The racing action gets started promptly at 7:00 p.m.

San Antonio Speedway is located at 14901 State Highway 16 South (towards Poteet just inside Loop 1604), 3.5 miles outside Loop 410. Admission is $25 for adults, $15 for senior citizens and military and spouse (with ID) and $5 for children 7-12. All 13 Express Lube locations in San Antonio are offering coupons for a free child’s admission with the purchase of an adult admission. Children 6 and under are admitted free.

For more information, call the Speedway’s hotline at (210) 628-1499 or log onto their website at http://sanantoniospeedway.com. To find out more about the ASA Late Model Series, visit their website at http://asalatemodels.com.

Archived