Devils Bowl........ NOVEL IDEA

rebelracewriter

Really seems that i have said something very similar before on this topic. Except i added something to do with the mayors of that community. But seems others didnt feel that it would work, and like rebal said that why Devils Bowl has been around forever and packs the stands on a saturday night.

It also explains why Lonestar Speedway was built where it was,because the guy did not want to compete with Devis Bowl back then even though DB ran on Friday nights back then,however they were competing with Boothill back then. Lanny starts at 8 and palns to turn out the lights at 11 on a normal night with 1 intermission.

You are assuming the track controls or benefits from the concessions, which is not always the case. Some promoters sell or lease the concession "concession" so they won't have to deal with it, but that usually means they get no more concession money no matter how many people come through the gate and have no reason to do anything that boosts business from the concessions.

The problem was stated by Terry Barden on another thread, when he said the local media doesn't cover short track because we don't warrant the coverage. That's also the reason the Statesman gives for not covering Thunder Hill.

Given that SAS is in a market area of well over two million people and THR's market area is pushing at least 1.5 million, the fact that only a few thousand people come to either track tends to support the media's case.

Given that SAS is in a market area of well over two million people and THR's market area is pushing at least 1.5 million, the fact that only a few thousand people come to either track tends to support the media's case.

I hope I'm not highjacking here, but what's average attendance at THR and SAS? What's average attendance at an SA Missions (baseball) home game?

The Missions get newspaper & TV coverage (& live radio broadcasts) - racing does not. JMO, but I think its the stick & ball game mentality. "Games" are all these guys know how to cover. I have seen some mention of getting the TV sportscasters out to the track - I think that's a good idea. Maybe another is to get the sports editors out, too. Fit a second seat in a couple of the cars, & take 'em for a few laps to make their eyes go :ph34r: ...

Or celebrity races...

Texasprd, you're right. The sports guys and gals tend to cover what they know, but that didn't stop NASCAR from becoming a major sport. At the same time, we haven't made it easier for them to cover our "game." How soon can the mdia get results from a short track race? Recently, THR and SAS have done a good job of getting the results out by noon or late afternoon on Sunday, but that's recently.

What kind of press box facilities do the tracks have, if any? How many press releases do they send in a given week, and to how many people? How many of the press releases suggest a story line, rather than just telling the sportscaster or sportswriter when the races are?

We have more great stories in a week of racing than the stick and ball guys, but the press doesn't know about them, and stories are what they want; just look at the sports page.

And here's another problem: the sports guys have more sports "news" than they have space, in either newspaper pages or air time. What they are going to cover is what they know people want to see and hear. In other words, they are going to make sure they don't get in trouble for not covering something important, but they have to drop maybe half or more of the sports information they have due to lack of space.

Telling the press when and where you are racing is just something on the end of a press release that either tells a story or suggests one. "Hey, there's this 16-year-old who's winning races, and she's a girl!" "Hey, we had three guys pitch in to help one the guys they're trying to beat for the championship get his car on the track!" "Hey, there's a veteran driver who's won seven races in a row, and two young kids are trying to break his string, and one of them is his (son, daughter's boyfriend, younger brother) who was the XXY champion in a lower class last year!"

How many fans do the Missions draw? I don't know. I do know the Austin Ice Bats don't draw any better than Thunder Hill, but they get the news coverage because they are all over the press about what's going on with the Ice Bats. For example, they had to move to an arena in a shopping mall because they couldn't afford to stay in the venue they'd been using, but they turned a negative into a positive: "Ice Bats have real home court advantage playing on a smaller rink."

Don't get me wrong. A lot of people are working very hard to make short track racing work in Central Texas and I appreciate their work and effort; it's just that they may need to redirect some of their energy in order to be successful.

It's pretty crucial to get the local newspaper involved, but we've lost both the Statesman and the Express-News and that will take time, maybe a couple of years, to fix. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be working on it.

TQ,

I'm sure we all can do things better - I know I have lots of room to improve - but getting on here and ranting about how badly everyone (except you, of course) around here is doing things is getting old.

How soon can the mdia (sic) get results from a short track race? Recently, THR and SAS have done a good job of getting the results out by noon or late afternoon on Sunday, but that's recently.

Since I took over as Media Director for USRA (this will be my third season) the results, complete with meaningful, well-written post-race stories that contain story lines, have been at the sports desk before the sports editor ever arrives at the paper. And as you may or may not know, the sports desk makes the decisions on what will and what will not be published the following day. Ask anyone at the Express-News if this is not a fact.

How many press releases do they send in a given week, and to how many people? How many of the press releases suggest a story line, rather than just telling the sportscaster or sportswriter when the races are?

The fact is that before and after every USRA event, every daily, weekly and monthly newspaper in Central/South Texas that has an email or fax machine (and that's over 100 of them) gets a full advance story - complete with numerous story lines - and a full race report with complete results and weekly point standings. In fact, media outlets near towns where a USRA driver lives get specially tailored stories about that driver and his/her relationship to the upcoming or just complete racing event - complete with the story lines that you say are missing. It takes me nearly 10 hours to send out all the releases - many of which are individually tailored for the newspaper or outlet I am sending the story to. In addition to that, I send my pre-race advances, post-race stories and points to many of the popular racing websites.

Just because I don't get on here and boast (like some do) about the stories that made it to the Beeville paper or the CC paper or the Galveston paper, or the stories that were written by writers at small, local papers based on ideas I submitted to them, doesn't mean that it's not happening.

For example, at the SAS/USRA Awards Banquet Saturday, one team came up to me and presented me with an autographed, framed picture of their car because I had worked with their daily paper over the past two seasons to get them some exposure in their local papers. As a result of that exposure they were able to show potential sponsors that their program was worth a second look.

...but we've lost both the Statesman and the Express-News and that will take time, maybe a couple of years, to fix. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be working on it.

We're working on it. What about you?

Bottom line. This is not the first time you have pretty much blasted Debbie Williams and JM Hallas and me. If you have some useful suggestions or want to help get out the word about stock car racing in Central/South Texas, that's great. Give us a call. But if you think I'm going to sit here and let you rag on Debbie, Jay or me, without setting you straight, think again.

Nick Holt

I live in Dallas. There hasn't been a word about the weekly races in the Dallas Morning News about Devils Bowl in "forever". There used to be a "stock" article when the WOO was in town and there was a TV ad then as well. Cowtown has a large car count in Ft. Worth but I don't know if they get at ink in the Star Telegram.

When I raced in Midland, the results were in both the Odessa and Midland papers every week.

For what it's worth,

Jay

AINT NOTHING LIKE ALITTLE MONEY PAID OUT TO YOUR POLITICAL FRIENDS ..DONT HAVE ANY YOU SAY .WELL NO MONEY NO FRIEND. JUST HAVE TOGET WITH THE BALL GAME .WE USED TO HAVE A SPORTS WRITER HERE IN CC IN THE 80.S HE WOULD GO OVER TO SOME TEAMS AND DO A STORY ON THEM ..HE WENT TO THE TRACK AND DID STORYS OUT THERE TO .WORKED GREAT .DIDNT HAVE TO PAY HIM ANYTHING HE WAS JUST ONE OF THE FEW WHO LOVED RACEN AND WAS ABLE TO PULL THE RIGHT STRINGS .NEED MORE LIKE HIM ..

ok, going to get shot down but dont care...

did anyone other then me notice the emphasis NASCAR put on short track racing during the 500. Even went as far as saying go to NASCAR.com to find closest track to you.

might be a bad time to have pulled NASCAR sanctioning. if NASCAR is going to be pushing short tracks and getting drivers(Cup) to be talking about short track racing, spending that monies may have been a good idea after all. yes, i know it doesnt come from my pocket or checkbook.....

(Nick),

lets go back to that balancing illustration. TQ brings a balance to this forum without him it would be out of balance...

i dont know that there are any right or wrongs in this... i personally want the tracks to make money, i also want them to have a packed house week in and week out...

I'd say NA$CAR is loosing weekly tracks much faster than they are gaining them. At the banquet TD mentioned that several tracks are dropping the sanction this year. When I was NASCAR Chief Steward at SAS in the 90's, there were more than 100 participating tracks. In 2006 they were down to 61 (at least the list I saw) participating tracks and several of those were in Canada. And this year there are even fewer tracks.

The NA$CAR website used to brag about the weekly series, but no longer. And it no longer lists the tracks that are part of the series - unless I missed it in my 20 minutes of searching earlier today. Instead, they ask you to type in your Zip Code to find a NA$CAR track near you. Interestingly, if you type in a San Antonio or an Austin Zip Code, you get Thunder Hill Raceway listed as a NA$CAR track. Of course, SAS has been removed. I didn't realize that THR had become a local NA$CAR track.

In light of the dwindling numbers, NA$CAR apparently is attempting to pump up the weekly series. It was a very nice cash cow for them. As TD mentioned, he was paying about $2,000 a race to use the NA$CAR name at SAS. And that's just the money sent from the track. Add that to all those very expensive and very required NA$CAR memberships (even track officials had to pay for a NA$CAR license) and you've got a pretty hefty sum.

Nick

i think a part of the reason that the spurs and missions get more exposure has to do with their corporate sponsors........comparing the spurs to sas is like comparing apples to oranges.......the spurs are broadcast nation wide, so they have a much larger fan base to draw fans from to fill the sbc center.........the missions have decent turnouts, but usually when it is dollar night at the missions or when some corporation gave a bunch of free tickets to their employees........plus the missions have the money from many sponsors to pay for radio and tv advertising..........it is good to see more advertising for the local racetracks, but im sure they dont have the advertising budgets to compete with the spurs or missions in the san antonio market......keep up the great work ya'll are doing though, something is better than nothing..........jmo

If you give free samples of a product to the public and the product sucks then do you expect the public to purchase that product? NO. The show better be badass. Its like what GB and I have said all along. Racing needs to only be a PART of a festival not the whole thing. Giving away free tickets won't fix your problems or even help them until the real problems are fixed themselves.

When you guys had the NASCAR sanction all we heard were the benefits of it. Now that its dropped we hear the negatives. Maybe there are both positives and negatives to the sanction. I believe the correct decision was made to drop the sanction. One would hope the "lease owner" of the track would take that 2k saved every race and reinvest it into the facility or the purse for the racers. Anyone know if that is happening? One thing I did notice though. The track is still using the NASCAR and Dodge Weekly Racing Series logos on its website. I am sure that is on a list of things to do.

j

I'd say NA$CAR is loosing weekly tracks much faster than they are gaining them. At the banquet TD mentioned that several tracks are dropping the sanction this year. When I was NASCAR Chief Steward at SAS in the 90's, there were more than 100 participating tracks. In 2006 they were down to 61 (at least the list I saw) participating tracks and several of those were in Canada. And this year there are even fewer tracks.

The NA$CAR website used to brag about the weekly series, but no longer. And it no longer lists the tracks that are part of the series - unless I missed it in my 20 minutes of searching earlier today. Instead, they ask you to type in your Zip Code to find a NA$CAR track near you. Interestingly, if you type in a San Antonio or an Austin Zip Code, you get Thunder Hill Raceway listed as a NA$CAR track. Of course, SAS has been removed. I didn't realize that THR had become a local NA$CAR track.

In light of the dwindling numbers, NA$CAR apparently is attempting to pump up the weekly series. It was a very nice cash cow for them. As TD mentioned, he was paying about $2,000 a race to use the NA$CAR name at SAS. And that's just the money sent from the track. Add that to all those very expensive and very required NA$CAR memberships (even track officials had to pay for a NA$CAR license) and you've got a pretty hefty sum.

Nick

THATS IS SO TRUE JASON ..ARE YOU SAYEN WHERE YOU RACE HAS A PROBLEM ..... SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST . ;)..KINDA FUNNY BUT WHEN WE WOULD GO UP TO TWS THE ONE THING THAT WE ALL TALKED ABOULT BESDES THE FINE RACEN WAS GOTTA GET A HOT DOG . COME TO THINK ABOULT IT IM HUNGRY ..

THATS IS SO TRUE JASON ..ARE YOU SAYEN WHERE YOU RACE HAS A PROBLEM ..... SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST . ;)

I did not suggest where I race there is a problem. Don't put words in my mouth. It is community wide. There is a gap right now and there is a lack of young people coming into the sport of WEEKLY circle track racing. There is to much of this old time thinking. Times have changed and its time to adapt or when the current crop of racers get old or find something better to do there won't be anybody to replace them. SAS WAS on the right track when they brought in those bubba drift guys.

Speaking of Corporate Sponsors,

does anyone in "the know" know if AT&T is coming on board as a sponsor for SAS. I know we(Cingular) are doing our branding changes, there is a huge rumor that we will not be able to run as AT&T wireless. the corporate lawyers are checking into keeping the Branding(Cingular) on the #31. When Nextel/Sprint signed on to be Sponsors after Winston left, part of their agreement was to not have any other wireless companies involved as sponsors. We(cingular) were grandfathered...

Archived