Quote of the night at USRA/SAS Awards Banquet

NickHolt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dish, Direct TV, Time Warner cable... I have tried them all, and all three have issues, at one time or another. I do like the idea of supporting those people like Doug, who support racing, though!!

What I have is brand new, and so far, I like it. I was asked to be part of the beta test for AT&T's new TV service that runs across their Fiber and copper network. During the initial rollout for the test, they had a few issues, but were working around the clock to correct the issues before they took it live for the general public. These were the same issues I saw when I had the satellite companies when they first started. I think it is now available in most of SA and Houston, (I think)...

It is called U-verse, and I get the TV service with all the same channels as the other three (plus extra channels the others do not have, like east and west feeds of a lot of the channels,) and DSL high speed internet, and a lower bill.

I really like it.

Up to 4 TV's - with one that is a DVR. The best part is I can record up to 4 different shows at the same time. I like that feature. I have found there is always more than two shows I want to watch on at the same time. I just record them all, then wait until around 15 minutes after one of them starts, and start watching the recording. I can then skip through the commercials, and finish the show at about the same time it is scheduled to end, without having to watch the commercials. That is really cool!! I know all four now have the DVR feature, but can they record up to four programs at the same time???

Besides, when I had one of the satellites, I was with them for a really long time. They then came out with the DVR feature, and were giving it away free to NEW subscribers. They wanted to charge me a small fortune to INSTALL, and UPGRADE. So much for loyalty to their long term customers. I called about every six months since the new features were added, and same story. When I called to cancel - you better believe that they wanted to upgrade me for free - No thanks!! I haven't had that issue with AT&T - any new features come out, and we get them. I think they are really trying to improve their customer service.

Anyway, that is what I have, and I like it. It may not be out in the rural areas yet, but I think they have a special with Dish Network until U-Verse rolls out everywhere.

You mean you can get DSL in this town??? LoL LoL

I have lived at 4 different spots in SA, one of which was less than 2 miles from the main office of AT&T on Broadway and was told I couldnt get DSL becuase of distance from some box... I was beggining to think DSL was a myth... LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hart

you are one of the few people that like U-verse the FCC has thousands of complaints I also don't understand your message you say I like the thought of supporting those that support BUT...... Just wandering U-verse has many problems TV over internet has a long way to go before it is as reliable as Satellite. I've seen U-verse not real impressed when the internet bogs down so will the TV you'll be watching in slow motion.

Also DIRECTV is less expensive more channels less money!

Doug

Hart

you are one of the few people that like U-verse the FCC has thousands of complaints I also don't understand your message you say I like the thought of supporting those that support BUT...... Just wandering U-verse has many problems TV over internet has a long way to go before it is as reliable as Satellite. I've seen U-verse not real impressed when the internet bogs down so will the TV you'll be watching in slow motion.

Doug

Hmm - funny comments there. Lets start with the "I like the thought of supporting those that support BUT" comment. I was simply stating what I had and my experience. I started it off because if I didn't have U-Verse and wanted satellite, I would have previously seriously considered going through you. I do support the companies I see on the sides of the race cars and those involved with the sport I love...Unless they go against something I believe in. An abortion clinic ever sponsors a car or a race, I will not be supporting or promoting them. So here is a thought - Become a dealer for AT&T U-verse and then everyone can make their purchases through you... Until then, if they want satellite service, I would still suggest they go through you.... unless you become an A$$, in which case I couldn't support you any longer, regardless of what you put back into the racing community.

You say I am one of the few people that like U-verse. How many people (in actual quantity, not just saying lots) do you know that have U-Verse? I know the cable and satellites do not like it. It is simply a better product at a much better price! Every person I have talked to that does have has it has really likes it. Sure, it had issues in the beta test, that is what the beta test is for. They offered a select group here in SA the chance to try it out and give feedback so they could work out those very issues before offering out to the general public. I was lucky to be asked, and glad I did.

"the FCC has thousands of complaints"
I am not real familiar with how to look that up - can you back that claim up with evidence, actual numbers???...oh and can you also supply the total number of complaints against the others too - you know, cable, Dish Network, Direct TV... Lets see the actual numbers against everyone, not just your competition...OK

Just wandering U-verse has many problems TV over internet has a long way to go before it is as reliable as Satellite. "
Really?? I wish someone would have saved me from such horrible viewing experiences for almost the past year... :wacko: Sorry to burst your bubble, but, U-Verse has been MORE reliable than either satellite company, and I have had both...OH Yah, I forgot, not if the satellite is installed correctly...Then why do the satellite companies only hire dealers WHO INSTALL THE SHTUFF INCORRECTLY???

I've seen U-verse not real impressed when the internet bogs down so will the TV you'll be watching in slow motion."
DUDE - are you for real??? You sound like a propaganda machine... In the year I have had it, I had two nights of issues, and both were during the beta tests. I have never, let me repeat NEVER seen TV (of any type we are discussing) go into a SLOW M...O...T......I......O.......N. It is a digital signal, same as satellite. When the internet bogs down??? Dude, do you still have dial up??? With a digital signal friend, it cannot go into slow motion, at best, you might get the same pixilation and picture freezing I got when I used satellite services, and that was even during good weather. Don't intentionally mislead anyone on this board who may not know... And if you do not know that, how can I recommend and trust you to INSTALL A DISH CORRECTLY???

Sounds like you are afraid of some healthy competition. From what I have seen, Cable is reliable, but their prices skyrocket...Satellite has issues in bad weather and also has increasing costs and I have personally experienced the poor service. AT&T has been kicking but in their short time in TV and the other companies are running scared. From what I have been reading in the tech journals and wall street reports, U-Verse is being well received by customers and investors alike!!

Sorry a few moths of lower prices doesn't catch my attention as lower prices. But of course from the ones I know who have had it, most only stay for a few months anyway. I had it for years, and dollar for dollar - U-Verse is the better value. More channels, and lower cost. My monthly bill and the channel guide are proof.

I do not like to sound like a jerk, and I know you are looking for business, but I can only share what I know. Between the satellite, cable and now U-Verse, I have seen better quality, paid a lower price, gotten more channels, and had better customer service since I switched. To each their own, unless something changes with the U-Verse, I think I will be happy with it for a long time to come...

If what you are claiming is true, back it up with facts and sources, otherwise I will have to just continue assuming you are talking out the other side of your… I don’t know you, and thought it was pretty cool that you support racing, but if you are intentionally misleading people to drum up business for yourself… well shame on you!!! :angry: AND I am not too proud to admit when I am wrong, show me facts with sources and I will sing your praises. ;)

Oh, by the way, how many shows can a DIRECT TV subscriber tape at any one time... I can tape up to four at the SAME time, and I do not have to watch what I record on my DVR!!!

They are looking into a whole house DVR too - Cannot wait for that added feature I will get without having to pay UPGRADE fees!!!

Hart

I had to stop reading cause you bored me I know alot SA is not he first city to have u-Verse, I am glad you have had no problems, I was was not being an a$$ but it just seemed a little rude to come on here and put U-Verse is the best when we are selling Satellite TV, I am surely not afraid of competion i live for it and you probally do to (fact that you race) I am not saying anything that is not on the net and by the way when any of my customers use thier DVR they don't have to watch what they are recording thats Dish Networks Box any way have fun hope you do well this year in the new car and with your u_Verse to each is there own

Ps

I do not have dsl I have a T1 line sorry

Doug

Hart

I had to stop reading cause you bored me I know alot SA is not he first city to have u-Verse, I am glad you have had no problems, I was was not being an a$$ but it just seemed a little rude to come on here and put U-Verse is the best when we are selling Satellite TV, I am surely not afraid of competion i live for it and you probally do to (fact that you race) I am not saying anything that is not on the net and by the way when any of my customers use thier DVR they don't have to watch what they are recording thats Dish Networks Box any way have fun hope you do well this year in the new car and with your u_Verse to each is there own

Ps

I do not have dsl I have a T1 line sorry

Doug

Doug - Sorry I bored you... :huh:

But thanks for the well wishes in the new car. It will not be out until later in the year, but we will have fun either way - Good luck to you in all of your endevors as well!!

Sorry if you thought that by mentioning that I have and liked U-Verse was rude. Funny, I thought that is what DISCUSSION BOARDS were for, discussing? :( Others mentioned what they had, and I thought I would join the conversation. You said you are not saying anything that is not on the net, I am just asking for you to back it up, since SA WAS the first city that U-Verse rolled out in, and you got that wrong, I would just like to see your sources, that's all. And it is cool that your customers can record something other than what they are watching. It is a cool feature...

Your right, to each their own. I hope all who decide to buy anything do their homework and find facts before just jumping in, so they do get what will make them happy and at a great valve to boot!

Well, I guess this discussion is done, but it was, uh, educational??, fun??, something... B)

PS - Enjoy your T1 :blink:

I was was not being an a$$ but it just seemed a little rude to come on here and put U-Verse is the best when we are selling Satellite TV, I am surely not afraid of competion i live for it

WE are selling Satellite TV? or YOU are? Everyone has there opinions or choices for which provider they want to choose/use. If you feel the need to bash others for there opinions/choices, then you might possibly want to get/relay all the facts that pertain to all choices or get into another business if you dont like the competition.

Hey Doug,

Who provides your T1?

Is it me or am I the ONLY one that caught that Lloyd said BETA. Last time I checked, wait yup it's still the same BETA is a trial version; it's going to have bugs.... Now for someone to get on here and down a competitors product for the sake of promoting theirs(wait Doug I'm not talking about you) is pretty bad.

Here is a question:

Why does Sprint tell everyone they have an ALL digital network when the facilities(T1'S) ride on copper which are analog circuits?

another question:

What is the shorest lived Southwestern Bell/AT&T subsidary?

Archived