stories

HiTech

One old story from Longhorn Speedway a million years ago. Seems several racers liked to party in the pits long,long after the races were over. One night the promoter got tired of trying to get them to leave so he locked the gate with all of them inside the pits! Needless to say the group took the gate down when they decided to leave around sun up Saturday morning and proceeded to Onion Creek a short distance north of the track where they deposited the gate!! Thus the legend began!!!

it was saturday night , sunday morning..........and it was puryear drive , past onion creek.

............and mickey doesn't know what you are talking about?

Light pole parties at Longhorn...I can't remember much...really I can't :P ...I remember many a wild crashes at Longhorn. First one that comes to mind is Chris Wilson going over the rail between 3 & 4 and a few minutes later she came driving around and back to the pits ! or the time there was a caution and someone lost a wheel. Junior Medlock drove over the rolling wheel ...front tires got off the ground then rear off the ground. He acted like nothing ever happened (cool hand Luke). Like Big John said there are some stories you just can't post on a public forum. ...kinda like the time I told my brother to show this woman his trophy...no not that one !!!

A good, true story. Here goes. I’ll try to clean it up.

It was the first year of the track to require that the racers buy and use the track-supplied fuel. About 4 races into the season, car #cc was approached before the races by the tech officials for not having bought any fuel yet. They handed him a glass jar, and requested a fuel sample. Then they left.

Later, I was standing by the tech pad when the fuel sample was being analyzed with a probe from a fuel check instrument. It was pegging the needle. Then one of the officials put his finger into the sample to smell it. Then they called driver “cc” to the tech pad.

Official said “cc, you’ve got a problem, a serious problem”. cc asked “Is it serious, am I going to die? Official, “what, what are you talking about?” cc replied, “well you said I had a serious problem, I’m just wondering if I’m going to live, or die”. Official said, “what the %*&& are you talking about?”. cc said, “I’m serious, do you think I’m going to die? You weren’t watching us take the sample, and I had the car parked on the pad near the restroom. Do you think I’m going to live?” Official said, “load your car up and get it off the premises”.

Sequel.

Next Saturday at the races, the official came up to my car to inspect it as it was unloaded. I handed him a piece of paper. He looked at it and said “what the %*&& is this”? I said “it’s my medical report I just received from my job, confirming that my sample was clean.” He walked away without doing any more inspection.

Marvin, I wish you were right about me being in diapers back then. My parents took us to Speedorama in the late 60's and early seventies. I started doing derbies in the late 80's and started racing there in 90. I sure do miss that track. I need to get some of my old videos out of storage and watch them sometime. One thing I do remember about Speedorama is all the 55, 56,& 57 Chevies that got tore up.

Junior Medlock drove over the rolling wheel ...front tires got off the ground then rear off the ground. He acted like nothing ever happened (cool hand Luke).

'"cool hand luke" that pretty much fits.

in 97 i was leading a race and had will daugherty all over my a-- . i was trying to make sure i didn't pinch my exits off and give him a run on the outside....we came off of four to the checkers and i was so focused on where i thought will was that i did'nt realize my grandfather (junior) had got up on the outside of me , i ran out to the wall and ran him up on it. after i crossed the line going into one (slowing down because the race was OVER) i got a break your neck, lower lumbar crack in the a-- that knocked my eyes out of socket. he didn't play favorites.......i was so upset thinking about what was gonna happen when we got back to the trailers , and when we did , he acted like nothing ever happened......i think he gave me a cookie and a coke and we talked about what size chain and tree it would take to fix the back of my car :D gotta love him.

My first year racin' Junior was trying to pass me on the inside and after a few attempts he got underme. He pushed me up so close to the wall I could almost feel my car rubbin it. I turned left and t-boned him down the back staight. He came up to me in the pits and told me I was a no driver and I was telling him it was one thing to pass but to put someone into the wall wasn't right....Anyway the next saturday he came up to me and gave me some cookies :) ...ever since then he has always offed help and parts...

One of my favorite stories happened in the late 70s when dad was techman at PAS. One the fellas was protesting the carburetor someone else was running. Dad looked and determined the carburetor to be legal. As we walked away I said “did you realize you leaned over tires that were 2 inches too wide when you looked at that carburetor?” He looked at me, grinned and said “that’s not what they protested boy, but for another 50 bucks we can take a look at em”

Stories like this and what happened at Daytona recently make me wonder. Is cheating looked at differently in Auto racing than other sports?

After the races, I always had alot of friends,fans, and family come buy to visit, and I always had plenty of drinks of your choice. One night while we were drinking and tellin stories they turned off the lights and was trying to run us out, well we werent ready to leave soo when security came around to run us off i told them we would love to leave but we lost our keys and since they turned the lights out and we can't see to find them so he called the other guard over to help look for the keys. after about 30 minutes of laughing and drinking found them in our pockets. the guards stopped and drank a water for ten minuted and asked why everybody was laughing :D:D:lol::lol::lol:

After the races, I always had alot of friends,fans, and family come buy to visit, and I always had plenty of drinks of your choice. One night while we were drinking and tellin stories they turned off the lights and was trying to run us out, well we werent ready to leave soo when security came around to run us off i told them we would love to leave but we lost our keys and since they turned the lights out and we can't see to find them so he called the other guard over to help look for the keys. after about 30 minutes of laughing and drinking found them in our pockets. the guards stopped and drank a water for ten minuted and asked why everybody was laughing :D:D:lol::lol::lol:

THATS MEAN . :)

THIS MANS REMARK WAS THAT DONT LOOK LIKE A 283 MOTOR TO ME ..THE RESPONSE FROM THE DRIVER WHICH WAS TERRY LABONTY WAS A PUSH OVER THE FINDER AND BOB MADE SURE HE GOT A GOOD LOOK UP CLOSE .FACE IN THE CYLINDER .AND THAT MANS RESPONSE TO BOBS LIKEING WAS .......IT SURE DOES LOOK LIKE A 283 NOW .THIS WAS AT CC SPEEDWAY . :D I COULD NEVER FORGET THAT ONE .

...the group took the gate down when they decided to leave around sun up Saturday morning and proceeded to Onion Creek a short distance north of the track where they deposited the gate!! Thus the legend began!!!

Is that how "Watergate" Hamilton got his nickname? "Bobby" told me that story years ago - I always thought it happened at PAS (which didn't make sense as I got older, because I never knew of any creek near there). If it happened at Longhorn, now it makes much more sense!! :rolleyes:

That's always been one of my favorite "old days" stories.

Archived