Who was this driver?

Flipper13

i remember that wreck // JOHNNY WHITE WENT OVER THE SAME PLACE OH AROUND 86 OR 87 .I BELIEVE AND HE HIT THE LIGHT POLE AND TREES THAT USED TO BE THIER .BAD ONE . BROKE THE CAR UP .BUT IF YOU WENT OVER AT CC IT WASNT A VERY PURTY OUTCOME .MOST CARS NEVER CAME BACK . FLYING 34 REMEBER LARRY SMITH LEAVEN HIS CAR HUNG UP ON THE WALL UNDER THE FLAG IN TURN THREE . FITTING FOR HIS CAR WAS RED WHITE AND BLUE .

i remember that wreck // JOHNNY WHITE WENT OVER THE SAME PLACE OH AROUND 86 OR 87 .I BELIEVE AND HE HIT THE LIGHT POLE AND TREES THAT USED TO BE THIER .BAD ONE . BROKE THE CAR UP .BUT IF YOU WENT OVER AT CC IT WASNT A VERY PURTY OUTCOME .MOST CARS NEVER CAME BACK . FLYING 34 REMEBER LARRY SMITH LEAVEN HIS CAR HUNG UP ON THE WALL UNDER THE FLAG IN TURN THREE . FITTING FOR HIS CAR WAS RED WHITE AND BLUE .

I remember that one and I was only a little kid. Didn't they have to weld his car up there so that they could finish the race? That was some crazy stuff. But if you think about it, we are some crazy people out there haha.

:unsure: Now oldtimer,

You have me dating myself, but didn't one of the Flannigans screaming yellow cars go over in 3 and 4 as well in the 70's to early 80's???? I also remember standing with Greg SR and Billy Brown in the pits when they were down in end of 1 and 2, and a car came flying over the wall right beside us. It landed upside down if I recall on a trailer. When ole Walter (God Rest His Sole) came down to look at it after it happened, he said "Easy enough, just strap it down and take home like that". Who was that one???? :unsure:

:ph34r: Dennis in the Desert (Homeward Bound) :ph34r:

Dennis, that is Johnny White you are talking about. Went over right there where my dad parked, and landed and rolled up on Robert Ponce's trailer. I saw that one from the stands. That was a wild ride. Yeah, Larry's car hung out on the wall. That was a bit strange to see the left rear of the car hanging over the wall. One better was Ratdaddy's car where you could see the whole thing just sitting on top of the wall in turn 2. Yeah, back in the day, the cars that would go over the wall in 4 would end up in the backyard of that little farm house that was there. Not sure if it was Flanagan, Hardcastle, or who......Well, it was one of them, that went over and landed in the tree that used to be there!! I could tell you about so many wrecks that I have seen at that place.

:unsure: Now oldtimer,

You have me dating myself, but didn't one of the Flannigans screaming yellow cars go over in 3 and 4 as well in the 70's to early 80's???? I also remember standing with Greg SR and Billy Brown in the pits when they were down in end of 1 and 2, and a car came flying over the wall right beside us. It landed upside down if I recall on a trailer. When ole Walter (God Rest His Sole) came down to look at it after it happened, he said "Easy enough, just strap it down and take home like that". Who was that one???? :unsure:

THE WRECK IS THE JOHNNY WHITE WRECK .I DID NOT FINISH IT .AFTER THE LIGHT POLE AND LANDED IN THAT MUD HOLE . FROM WHAT I HEARD HE SAID BEFORE I GOT BACK THERE WAS DONT TAKE ME OUT OF THIS CAR UNTILL YOU TELL ME I DIDNT KILL SOMEONE .. BROKE THAT CAR UP IN I BELIEVE THREE PIECES . WAS THAT YAH THAT HAD TO DUCK . THE ONLY REASON THAT WE WERE PARKED BACK THERE WAS BECAUSE OF THE RAIN THAT WEEK EVERY WHERE ELSE WAS MUDDY . AND WHERE HE LANDED IF IT HAD BEEN DRY HE WOULD OF LANDED ON SOMEONES CAR . AFTER ALL THE WRECKS AND OVER THE WALL DRIVERS THAT ONE STANDS IN FIRST PLACE .EVERYONE JUST KNEW SOMEONE WAS KILLED .NOT ONE SOUND FROM THE STANDS UNTILL THEY SAID HE WAS OK . AND THINKING ABOULT IT STILL GIVES ME EVY GEEVIES .

NOW AS FOR FLANNIGANS I BELIEVE HE WENT THROUGH THE WALL .NOT SURE ON THAT ONE .BUT BILLY HARDCASTLE WENT FOR THE HIGHEST AND DISTANCE RECORD INTURN 3.4 PURTY MUCH CLEARED A TREE AND LANDED ON A PIPE FENCE OR SOMETHING LIKE IT .AND BROKE HIS CAR IN HALF .DAMN NEAR RAN A PIPE INTO HIS BACK CLOSE CALL .HE RAN ONE OR TWO RACES THAT I CAN REMEMBER AFTER THAT .THROTLE STUCK .AND ALL I COULD SEE FROM THE OLD PITS FROM THE TICKET BOOTH WAS A CAR FLYING ..HE WAS PROBABLY 50 FEET IN THE AIR FROM THE FLAT GROUND .RAT DADDYS WAS FUNNY FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT .MILLER BEER OR WHAT EVER IT WAS GOT ALOT OF ATTENTION ..OR WAS IT COORS .

NOW DO YOU REMEMBER BRONSON CERTAINS WRECK .THE LAST ONE HE HAD WHERE HE WENT THROUGH THE FRONT FENCE AND ALMOST INTO THE STANDS .HE NEVER RACED AFTER THAT ONE . BRUCE HITTING THE PIT INTRANCE WALL A FULL SPEED IN HIS BUD CAR .HIT SO HARD A LIGHT POLE WAS MOVED AND HIT WHATS HIS NAME IN THE HEAD AND KNOCKED HIM OUT .FIVE FEET AWAY .ANOTHER ONE THAT COMES TO MIND WAS BILLY CRISTAPHERS BAD SPELLING LAST NAME .HAD THAT BAD WRECK AT TWS .

:o Oldtimer,

_____I don't think I ever missed a race back in the 70's out there. I came out there with Fred Wells, Jack Spencer, and Dave Prosek were going racing, our whoever needed help (pay my pit pass) and would let me tag along. My folks say it kept me out trouble being at the track.

_____And I was there the night proud pappa Greg Sr. brought Jr. into the pits when he was about 9 weeks old I think. Ya'll rememeber that big ole grin on his face?? Those were some good old days weren't they! Yeehaa, it's great to be back in one piece and still have my whits about me.

_____See ya'll real soon. :P

THE YOUNG DRIVERS TODAY HAVE NO IDEAL WHAT IT WAS LIKE BACK THEN TOTALY A DIFFERENT WORLD TODAY .CANT SAY WHICH WAS MORE FUN THEN ARE NOW . NAH THEN . I REMEMBER DAVE .THE PIT PASS BACK THEN WERE $5 AND THE GATE WAS $3.50 .AND GOOD GOOD FOOD .THE PITS ARE NICER TODAY .THE TRACK HAS MORE LIGHTS , THIER ARE REAL RESTROOMS . AND I REMEMBER SITTING IN THE STANDS WHILE DON AND CARROL GOT MARIED AND DON JR AND HIS SISTER WERE KNEE HIGH .1969 I BELEIVE .OH AND IF YOU POPPED OFF YOU BEST HAD YOU CREW AROUND OR GET TO THROWING PUNCHES OR TIRE TOOLS OR HAMMERS OR WHAT EVER YOU COULD GET YOUR HANDS ON ..THERE WAS NOT MUCH YACKEN BACK THEN .THEY WERE FIGHTING WORDS ......... SPEAKING OF LUCHE JR IS THE ONLY DRIVER WHO COULD JUMP OVER A CAR TO GET TO SOMEONE .

Well I think I'll jump in a little bit. On of my fondest memories as a kid was the 2 big fat telephone poles (one at the pit gate and one at the entrance) there were about 10 regular kids that wea would all have our own races around the poles and when the announcer would call up a race, whoever had a Dad or someone they knew or cheered for would take a pit stop and go watch the race, and jump right back in after the race was over.

My best memory as a driver was the night that I won the heat race, and the feature and Carol backed it up with the powder puff win as well, a clean sweep! I can still remember like it was yesterday the look of pride on my Dads face is something that I will never forget.

I could go on but I had better get back to work. I gotta go to the track tonight to fix the asphalt roller that litterally broke in two yesterday. Maybe I'll post some more tomorrow.

Carol, share some of your stories..........I know you have one or two...... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

MY WORST RACE WAS MY FIRST RACE WHEN SCOTT .STUFFED ME INTO THE WALL IN 89 WHILE LEADING . UP AND ON MY ROOF ...SLID ALL THE WAY DOWN THE BACK STRIEGHT . I WAS MAD AS HELL .MY FAVORET WIN WAS A FEATURE THAT BLEW THE MOTOR TAKEN THE WHITE FLAG AND IT KEPT RUNNING TILL I TOOK THE CHECKERS .BEAT JAMMIE GARDNER BY INCHES ..

Yeah Donnie, that was my first dirt track experience at 5 years old. I was coming around the 3 and 4 pole and I got luched and ended up with my forehead stuck to wires holding the metal fence behind the old breaker box. They had to stop the races so the ambulance could take me to the hospital. Of course my dad stayed and raced. So when I came back to the track that night after getting stitches, we all took a group photo on the front stretch after my dad won the monthly championship trophy! I need to find that picture and post it.

Archived