Race track in Bryan, Texas

wolfpack1

Yes, there was.. It was on the north side of town off hwy 21, close to what is now the intersection with FM 2818. A friend of mine found a reference to it in the library and we actually went and walked the track in 1980. There wasn't much left but you could tell the outline of the banking. He found some newspaper articles on the track that suggest it operated from the mid '40s to mid '50s.

• 2 months later...

post-3-1205590937_thumb.jpg

Here is a scan from an Aug. 12th 1988 issue of TEX-US RACING NEWS. The quality is poor, it was a news paper type material. Above the pic says "HOT ROD HILL, BRYAN, TEXAS 1953

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

That is the original Hot Rod Hill that was owned by Doc Kulhanek, it was on old Highway 21 over where A-1 wrecker is now, not too awful far from where Wayne Brown has his today, this track was right off of the highway back then.

• 4 weeks later...
You can see it pretty good using Goggle Earth.....There is an vacant field caddy corner to Rob's and it shows up pretty good.

Yes, I think I can make it out now. It appears to be a large tract of land with a lot of trees. Sort of what Meyer Speedway in Houston looks like.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...ear=Houston,+TX

The race track grounds being to the left of the ball fields. You can faintly make out the track and see the only remaining asphalt being part of the crazy 8 track.

Wolfpack,

Are you talking about the oval outline in the trees in the center of this picture?

Yup that's it......... Maybe I should find out who owns that land, buy it, and clear the track so I can have my very own practice track.....lol

• 3 weeks later...

Here you go Tony a couple for the ages

post-3-1205591076_thumb.jpg

Phot is stamped Oct.19.1952 in Bryan, Texas on the back, this is the Original Hot Rod Hill

That is coming out of turn #2, the tree line in the background is Sandy Point Road.

Sam Urso in the #36

Robert E Barnes in the #24

I think Bill White in the #3 I need to go to Temple to verify that.

Sam Urso is Dead, Uncle Robert is still around, he thinks that's Bill also, He said the 999 was a fellow off the Northsode of Houston, he just can'r recall his name. Not sure on the #8

post-3-1205591083_thumb.jpg

Here is a pile up in turn 2, same date on the back as the first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived