Lost Beginner!

alison

My name is Alison Sterbenz 'm a 17 year old girl from Iowa, this season I'd like to race street stock/ stock car. I have a car being built but there are many ?'s I have. first of all how do I preapare for the season, what are the basic things i need to know about my car? see racing runs through my blood cuz i have like 6 cousins that race anything from 4 cyl, hobby stock, street stock, mod and late model. but they all say i'd be better off to get a go kart. well this makes me want to prove them wrong, so how do I get sponsors and where do I go and all that. I know where I want to race what car, what colors numbers and all i hve a few sponsors but no paying sponsors. so how can i prove them wrong how can a be come a great driver? any suggestions I'm an open book! alison luvracin_ia2@yahoo.com ! so someone plz help me.

First of all you need to tell everyone what city you live in .what class and track you will want to race .so someone may know what to say . you started on the right track in asking for help so that is a big plus. thats the good thing aboult speedzone someone will help you .the thing that stands out in what you said .is i want to prove them wrong .that could be bad .for you may and will try to hard .you need to get a driver that will coach you .nothing worst than trying to prove you self on a race track to family ..so my best advice is prove it to yourself .and noone else .listen to what other good drivers say .and dont say they are wrong even if you feel it is .as far as the car you need to be hands on .as for as going around a track that would depend on you .let someone who knows how to drive drive your car so they can point out what needs to be done .and to give advice on what not to do with it .that will help you in the long run .all you really need to do the first season is learn how to get around the track without hitting anything .good luck .

When you first go out to the track concentrate on driving first and let the racing come to you. Drive everyone with respect and don't get upset when someone makes contact with you, just concentrate on driving. Accidents happen but recognize when it was your mistake. Also don't spend more than you can really afford. If you spend 10,000 on a motor but can really only afford to spend 2500 then your non racing life will suffer. Oh and there is a 99.999% chance that your not making it to Nextel Cup.

i have like 6 cousins that race anything from 4 cyl, hobby stock, street stock, mod and late model. but they all say i'd be better off to get a go kart. well this makes me want to prove them wrong,

Why have you already disregarded the advice of six people related to you who could reasonably be assumed to have your best interest at heart? I would listen closely to their advice, and then add the following filters - if they are the same age as you but advising you to take a different path than they did, ask why. It may not be just because you are a girl. If they are older than you I would still ask why, but I would be much less skeptical, and tend to assume that their experience gives them some real perspective.

Most race drivers do start in karts, but that is because that route gives the earliest opportunity to get in the seat. For your situation that doesn't apply, but karts do have the huge advantage of taking much less time, money, tools, skills and facilities to field and maintain. Your primary objective is to get on track and get some experience, and for a modest expense you can buy a ready to go kart that will give you more thrills than you can handle. And you, and maybe a friend/relative, can maintain it yourself. You won't need a separate shop, welder, trailer, pickup, etc, etc. And you won't be so worn out from working on the car during the week that that you can't concentrate on race day.

An analogy would be that if you want to learn to tell time you don't start by learning to build a watch - You buy the watch. Your immediate objective is not to learn how to run a big racing operation, it is to learn to drive in competition, and a kart will get you in the thick of that quickly.

I have a car being built but there are many ?'s I have.

OK, That's not always the best place to start but it is a start. Depending on who is building the car, you might have been better off to buy someone elses car to start with. You can generally buy an already built car cheaper than you can build one and you usually get at least a small selection of spares to go with it. But since you have already gone down that road, keep moving..

what are the basic things i need to know about my car?

The builder should be able to give you some basic information, particularly if he has built cars for the track(s) you will be running. Assuming it is a turn-key package (engine, trans, shocks, springs, etc.), he should be building you something that will be close to right on initial set up and geared for the engine he is using. Beyond telling you what the limits are, he won't be much help until you actually get some seat time and can begin to give feedback on what the car is doing or not doing.

so how do I get sponsors and where do I go and all that. I know where I want to race what car, what colors numbers and all i hve a few sponsors but no paying sponsors. so how can i prove them wrong how can a be come a great driver? any suggestions I'm an open book!

You are at least starting with the right attitude. Keep that "open book" thing in mind at all times because you will be getting a lot of different input from the people around you. Not all of it will be positive but don't take offense to any of it, just listen and take time to consder what is being said.

Starting from the beginning you have two goals:

1. Develop the relationships that will turn in to sponsorship dollars. When you approach people always have in mind what benefit your racing can bring to them. People don't just stand around with their wallet open waiting to hand out money, they want to know what the ROI is (return on investment). You will get a lot more mileage out of presenting a neat appearance at their "grand opening" celebration that showing you can win a race. To them, how well you drive is secondary, how well you and your car look and present is primary. You will need to be available for them away from the track for them to get the most benefit from their sponsorship dollars. As sexist as it sounds, never forget you are a female in a male dominated sport. It sets you apart and may be the edge you need to stand out when a particualr sponsor has to choose where they will spend their money. You will get some resentment from others if you do land that big sponsor without "paying your dues" but that's just how life is, no one said life was supposed to be fair.

2. Learn the car and how to give feedback to to your crew or builder. You will need to get as much seat time as you can. Make sure the car is ready for the first "play day" or track practice sessions that are available. Make as many of the practices as you can. Mingle with the other racers pay attention to who is fast and who isn't, that way you will learn who's advice to listen more closely to. You will find racers a lot more willing to "help out" during a practice than on race day. Consider NOT running a full season your first year. Read your rules to find out how many races you can have and still be considered a "rookie". There is prestige in getting a "rookie of the year" trophy, successful racing, like life, takes some strategy and planning. You aren't likely to go out and win a bunch of races in your first season anyway so spend the dollars on practice but sit out the race. You'll save on sheet metal, always have a clean car for those "sponsorship opportunities" and you will gain knowledge about how the car works and how to drive.

Archived