Lake San Antonio Speedway

Rick Day

COULD YOU IMAGINE THE FISHING STORIES THAT WOULD COME FROM THERE :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

charlie,

with you, everything turns into a fishin' story....

Seriously,

Rick, my buddy who works for Olmos Construction had volunteered to do some work out at the track during Olmos' early stages of ground prep at the Toyota plant. He may still be willing to do some work for the track if they(Olmos) have equipment close by. The key word in all this is FREE to the track. He and his brother used to help several teams in the 80's and he loves oval track. If you are interested call me.... I'll see if they can do some leveling....

Oh, I was told at one point there were pumps in place, do they not work?

I can just see it now, Terry D. trying to jump the Lake... :D

IM sorry i have seemed to have missed your point. jason .all the years of racen at cc after all that old asphault was unloaded in the pits .and a hell of alot of it was crushed by me useing a roller has worked out just fine .and i dont recall anyone ever have a flat and complaining . for that was alot better that the old pits .so you pack it right it will be a good base .better than mud or rocks .lakes and cracks big enough to loose nuts bolts tools .broken bones . jmo .. you get more junk to have a flat on from crews and racers and demo derby than from crushed asphault .

By opening night there should still be some mud where the water is now. and if not we could spray it down to make it muddy. that way we could call in some hooters girls and have mud wresting after the races. as an added bonus for the feature winners, you win your race, you get to wrestle with the girls.......

Rick, this is before your time at SAS.....

Does anyone remember when Kyle Yuchinski's Late Model slid into the lake in the late 80's?

This is way before Frank Howell had the interior walls put in to prevent things like that in the infield.

I wonder how long it took them to get the mud out of that car....lol

Ja Lane 85 TPS

Ja: OK ... I've remained silent about that lake incident at San Antonio International Speedway. Here is what happened.

It was a TIDA Late Model race that I signed with Frank Howell to bring to SAIS. Upon arriving at the track, I could see that several emergency vehicles were positioned in what I define as "a hit zone". That is, they were in an unsafe position if a car got out of shape and exited the main straight-a-way at a 45 degree left angle. They would get hit where they parked.

Before practice started, I brought the matter to the attention of the then Race Director, Terry Barden. He initially did not agree with my safety concerns, but did agree to move the ambulance, wreckers and dune buggy to the safer position I recommended.

During the TIDA-LM 100 lap Feature Race, just what I predicted actually happened. I had "eyes on" the entire incident.

Kyle Yuchinski got out of shape on the main straight-a-way at a 45 degree left angle. His Camaro headed exactly where the safety vehicles had been parked before practice. Since they were no longer parked in their original position, there was nothing to stop Kyle from the next object in his path. It was the holding pond for drained water to the lowest part of the track infield. It was as large as a small lake. He entered the lake, straight ahead at about 90 mph. The geyser of water was magnificent. No, it was spectacular. The lake acted as a braking devise. He finally stopped at mid-lake. He was unhurt and waded out. Basically, the car wasn't damaged. The wrecker crews had a difficult time extracting the Camaro from the lake after the race was completed that night.

It was one of those racing incidents that race organizers like me and Camaro drivers like Kyle probably never forget.

Neil Upchurch

Former President

Texas International Drivers Association

TIDA-LM Series

btw - The design for all those interior walls at San Antonio Speedway was drawn up by me and submitted to Frank Howell, at his request. He wanted to enlarge the infield capacity and make it more protective.

COULD YOU IMAGINE THE FISHING STORIES THAT WOULD COME FROM THERE :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

charlie,

with you, everything turns into a fishin' story....

Seriously,

Rick, my buddy who works for Olmos Construction had volunteered to do some work out at the track during Olmos' early stages of ground prep at the Toyota plant. He may still be willing to do some work for the track if they(Olmos) have equipment close by. The key word in all this is FREE to the track. He and his brother used to help several teams in the 80's and he loves oval track. If you are interested call me.... I'll see if they can do some leveling....

Oh, I was told at one point there were pumps in place, do they not work?

I can just see it now, Terry D. trying to jump the Lake... :D

KISS,

IF YOU WERE A FISH YOU WOULD BE A LARGE MOUTH BASS, JUST UNDER LEGAL SIZE NOT WORTH KEEPING :P:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Neil,

Now that you mention it, I do now remember the resistance of safety trucks to move earlier that evening as well.

What a show, you don't get to see that very often at SAS - that water did shoot sky high!

Ja Lane TPS 85

Archived