IMCA at STS?

dirthammer

I doubt very seriously that the “Old Timer, Outlaw run what ya brung” modified drivers from Corpus Christy are going to vote for IMCA sanctioned rules. That’s why they all stopped racing at I 37 years ago. A lot of them would have to modify their cars and motors to meet the IMCA rules. Cheating would no longer be legal. Don’t get me wrong, I love to watch them race not to mention that they are the reason for the spectators in the stands. The number of engines claimed each week would start more fights than you could imagine. I think that if the track and drivers want to join a sanctioning body then they should look at UMP. Historically speaking, Corpus Christy Modified drivers race for bragging rights not points or championships. That type of mentality in not conducive to IMCA racing.

Actually there is a whole 3 pages of rules for the modifieds at STS, if it was run what you brung I am sure everyone would have 10" tires and Nitrous. :D

They do bring the crowd and they are fun to watch I think we can all agree, in the Topless race back on Memorial day 2006 Brian Killingsworth brought his car down, IMCA legal runs IMCA weekly and finished second in a 1000 to win show, led for a little while even, hard to beleive he could compete with all these non-IMCA outlaw cars. LOL

I think there are alot of damn good drivers in Corpus Christi that bring damn good cars to the track each week and put on a great show and for that I Thank you all.

Owen

The Corpus cars quit I-37 because South Texas opened up. All the time they were racing at I-37 it was IMCA. The claim is basically gone(IMCA records show this). When the winners are always the same few drivers(getting to start in the front) the rest will eventually quit. I would bet there are less than 5 cars that have to make any changes to meet IMCA rules. IMCA does take the pressure off of the promoter as the rules are dictated by IMCA, but it is not free. IMCA is not the greatest but better than most as the number of IMCA tracks indicates. Build it and they will come is BS, PAY them and they will come.

everyone has good points, heres my view(like anyone gives a [eidted out by Nick Holt, 1/26/07])if its working dont mess with it, man, there is some great and super fast racing now, but how many cars can you gain and encentives can there be for IMCA, It would be great to see LIittle Whitaker to run both 37 and sts and win a National champoinship, .....and he can down right do it as Senior can win the Sportmod, its a catch 22...........either way I think Owen will have a great show and fast show.Owen brings up some great points...most of the top IMCA runners are just as competative as the outlaws, you know....those hockey puck tires can only accomidate so much power, so set up must mean something.

From a race fan view........it doesnt matter to me if its IMCA ,UMP,or what other sanctions there is ..i love watching mods racing aslong theres a GOOD CAR COUNT and some FAST action....i ll be there .....the 2006 season was the first time i went to any race track in corpus ...i liked sts better than going to edna eventhough EDNA is 30 mins away and sts is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away ....i made about 6-9 shows last year including the turkeyshoot (which was a blast)...and plan to make more this season...........i just hope if imca sanctioning does occur ,it doesnt cause the car count to decrease and the racing is only b/w a few drivers .....

well SAK,was there any selling points as to why go IMCA or not to?in the sports mods it lost by a few votes.what some dont understand is how much closer it makes racing.if i had stuff that was not right and got caught in IMCA,not only would the fine be bad,but i could not race at another IMCA track and PAID that fine.if i get caught at an non IMCA track,i have a bad night and can go back the next week.if a stroke motor gets busted at rgs or sts,no big deal.but in IMCA its what,$1000.00 fine?makes you think twice about cheating.but what many dont understand, it is the penalties of cheating that makes you not want to do it.OWEN ran a good show and did work at policeing it.but now i think you will see all the good stuff come out .if one gets caught its no big deal,without a big fine a time off from racing..........frank t

Owen did it right, he allowed the racers to choose. Now as far as being dg'd, maybe a guy with an illegal motor,trans or carb should also have to start dead last for his next 5 races. That could equal a 1000 bucks for a frint running car, maybe more.

think you have to look much deeper.on a sports mod if the engine is just one inch futher back,how much will it help the handling?if the pinion angle is changed?shall we get into the spindals,and frames,sounds like a no one did that deal,did some?and if busted,so what....sports mods are about momentum, with a true lame motor,so yes cheating on handling probably does as much as motor cheating.amd again will the penalties scare one from doing it?busted today,race next week,or at another track.again dont take this as a STS bash.i think there was much work done there to try and get it right.there was just to much that could be seen.but why not?.there was no penalty to speak of.nothing to scare one of doing it.frank t

JASON,i am hoping it will improve on the tech end with penalty for those that get caught.even you said that you knew of things at one time.if one was scared of what would happen,maybe then they will think twice about it.i was hoping it would not be a outlaw deal,then you have guys doing as much to a sports mod as a real mod.rules help the beginner more the the seasoned driver.they have the ins and outs of what to do.i would think a beginner to the sport would not want to be left behind.and i was not arguing the point to go imca now.i know it was voted out.but i didnt jump ship back and forth.i knew where i stood and what i was behind.your one to say give it up already.............frank t

Don't even get me started Frank. I've got a long, long list of stuff I could bring up. Hell I even found something out after you guys left Saturday. Talk about a smokin deal I got. YEA RIGHT. Bottom line, DONT THROW STONES IN A GLASS HOUSE.

The people that are faster than me, Johnny, and the others are NOT faster because they are cheating. We are racing against guys with much more experience, more money, etc, etc. I didn't have a healthy engine in 1 race this year. Oh but that will change this year.

As for jumping ship. I listened to both sides and picked the side that would benefit me the most for 07. Would I like for tech to be increased on limiteds? Yes I would. Not just motor either. Chassis to.

Archived