Quick Question Regarding Steering Box

kn1ghtblade

I just have a quick question about the stock steering box...

Since I am going to run my stock P/S box as a manuel with the line looped, do I fill the box with regular P/s Fluid or use a different type of lube for it?

I know stupid question but I am makeing my loop hose tonight when I get home and would like to fill the box at that time...

I just have a quick question about the stock steering box...

Since I am going to run my stock P/S box as a manuel with the line looped, do I fill the box with regular P/s Fluid or use a different type of lube for it?

I know stupid question but I am makeing my loop hose tonight when I get home and would like to fill the box at that time...

Why are you not running it operational?

please some salvage yard please furnish him a pump.......you can make a resevior out of anything.

if not-

please some gym give him a FREE membership to properly prepare him for the butt loads of fun he is asking for.

Buy the $25 dollar bracket from speedway and use a stock pump. That's what I used on my last car and I even used a steering quickner. Be sure to use synthetic p/s fluid or synthetic trans fluid. You will be alot smoother with power steering.

Buy the $25 dollar bracket from speedway and use a stock pump. That's what I used on my last car and I even used a steering quickner. Be sure to use synthetic p/s fluid or synthetic trans fluid. You will be alot smoother with power steering.

I've probably got one in that box of free crap I was going to give you.

Well one of the fittings I was going to use didnt fit anyway... :(

I will see after the swap meet what I do, I personaly would prefer manual steering with a manual steering box.. Just personal preference but I will see....

If I cant find a manual box I might have to go with p/s... The box on the car has 1 line thats an odd ball size matches nothing we have here at work as far as thread wise...

knightblade if you spend the money now on the powersteering it will be way cheaper than all the body repairs, front end work, rims and tires your gonna waste on the walls and other drivers cars. i once was like you till i saw the light...... that is the wreckers lights i mean

Well it looks like becuase of the box and that 1 weird threaded fitting I am going to have to go back to P/S anyway... Its no biggy just I had a personal preference for manual, and still going to keep my eyes out if I can find a manual box, but if not I will rig some sort of p/s pump up... :)

LoL

I am going to wait to make my final decision now until I talk to Bigfat... I know in his car he has basically the same gear box as mine looped... I need to talk to him before I decide finally what I am going to do since he should be able to tell me exactly how hard his car was to turn and mine is almost the same as his....... :)

Knight,

I think you should talk to some other drivers about not running power steering.

While it may be personal preference, it can hurt you in the long run. By running power steering in the car now, you will get used to it as you get experience in the car.

Should you move on to a quicker class, with bigger tires, you will be forced to go to power steering then. Factors such as tire width, wheelbase lead, and caster split will make it that much harder without power. Going to the bigger faster car and power steering at the same time will make for a huge change in driving style and inputs and a very difficult and frustrating learning curve.

i ran for four years with the line looped to the box...kept telling my granfather and step dad that i'd never run power steering , for one reason , i thought i was to jerky of a driver and it would really effect the way i handled the car and i'd either spin out alot or just flat tare up a bunch of shhuttfff

i was wrong.........

you can't feel the car without it , you may think you can , but your not.

i'll put it this way , i run power steering now.........if we drop 2 pounds of air out of the left rear , boy do i ever notice a difference , without PS you will never feel the changes, therefore never progressing.

just my own opinion.

After much concideration on this subject, I have decided not to decide yet.... LoL

Nah seriously, I am going to wait until I get the chassis finished and am ready to drop the engine back in, and even then if the timing works out right I might loop it for my first practice and run it manual for that to see how it is on an actual live lap or too, then put in the p/s and take it for a few laps that way and see which is better for me personaly...

I have just had too many opponions given too me both ways I figure the best thing to do is try both and see which is better for me and my particular style of driving and how I personaly want my car to feel on the track....

I do appreciate everyones opponions on this though, becuase without them I might of just went 1 way and not even concidered the other option at all...

Thanks

Knightblade

I ran without power steering for my first 3 1/2 seasons.(too lazy to install it)

poorboy and the rest of these yahoo's finally talked me in to running it.

I ran it this past year for the first time ever, and brought home the Championship.

you should reconsider reconsidering what you had considered...or whatever.

PUT THE PUMP ON

There is only one drawback to running a PS system that provides the proper amount of driver feedback. If the plumbing comes loose or pops a hose, the track will black flag you because they will thing you are dropping oil.

For more reasons than I could possibly go into on here, racers should indeed run a power steering system in all but the lightest of cars, such as a Go Kart or very light Formula car.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived