Starr lands NASCAR CTS ride for 2007

INTERNATIONAL TRUCK AND ENGINE DANCES TEXAS TWO STEP WITH STARR AND CRAWFORD IN 2007

International Truck and Engine Corporation, a Navistar Company, is expanding its motor sports marketing initiative with Texas based Circle Bar Racing for the 2007 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series season. International® will field two, full-time race teams in 2007 with Texas native David Starr and Rick Crawford as the drivers. Starr and Crawford will be making “Bold Moves” behind the wheel of their Power Stroke Diesel® and MaxxForce™ Diesel Ford F-150s in 2007. Kevin “Cowboy” Starland will return as the crew chief for Crawford’s team, while Starr’s new team will be led by 3-time NASCAR Championship crew chief Dennis Connor. Both teams will be housed in the Circle Bar Race shop in Concord, North Carolina.

The sponsorship of Circle Bar Racing will provide a great platform for International Truck and Engine to market its industry leading lineup of commercial trucks and school buses, and help introduce their MaxxForce brand of diesel engines, available exclusively in International trucks beginning in 2007. The sponsorship will also see the continuation of the successful Ford Power Stroke Diesel by International program that has been a mainstay in the Craftsman Truck Series since 2002. The number one selling diesel engine in the pickup truck market, NASCAR fans across the country rely on their Power Stroke Diesel to get them to the races, tow their campers and get them to work every week. It’s a way to say thanks to those loyal owners, and promote the Power Stroke Diesel advantage to those considering purchasing a pickup.

“We’ve learned over the past 6 years through our Power Stroke Diesel program, and our partnership with Ford Motor Company and Ford Racing, just how powerful a NASCAR program can be.” said Bob Carso, Director of Marketing and Global Brand Strategy, International Engine Group. “This program has helped develop customer relationships, promote the brand and increase sales. By expanding to a second team, we’re looking to use a similar model to grow our International Truck business and introduce the MaxxForce family of diesel engines to the marketplace. The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series provides a great platform for International Truck and Engine. NASCAR fans are loyal, hard working people who rely on our products every day. The combination of Rick Crawford and David Starr is a team that will represent our performance brands well.”

This multi-truck team will feature two of the Top 10 performing drivers in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. Rick Crawford will drive the Ford Power Stroke Diesel by International Truck for 2007. A veteran of the truck series, Rick is always in the mix with 5 career wins, 54 Top 5’s and 119 Top 10 career finishes. Rick is a perfect driver to represent the Power Stroke Diesel brand. A member of the Team Ford Racing camp since coming into the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 1997, Crawford’s aggressive driving, durability over the long-haul, and winning history, falls right in step with the Power Stroke Diesel credo – Power, Performance and Fun to DriveSM. The Crew Chief for the Power Stroke Diesel team will be NCTS Veteran Kevin “Cowboy” Starland.

David Starr will drive the MaxxForce International Diesel Power truck. Also a veteran of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, David is coming off another impressive year where he posted 1 win, 6 Top 5 and 12 Top 10 finishes on route to a 4th place overall finish in the 2006 point standings -- his 4th Top 10 Overall finish in the past 5 years. With 4 career wins, 34 Top 5’s and 71 Top 10’s, David’s personality and on-track performance is a perfect fit for MaxxForce credo – Always Performing. Consistent performance is what International and MaxxForce customers rely on everyday with their trucks The Crew Chief for the MaxxForce team will be 3-time NCTS Champion Crew Chief, Dennis Connor.

Lisa Karnes from the Circle Bar Truck Corral offered these comments; “A second team has been on our radar for some time. Until now we have not been able to find the right marketing partner and driver. My Dad, (Tom Mitchell) has always been a Ford man and to have Power Stroke as a sponsor of our Ford F-150’s is a Ford mans dream deal. From years of owning, operating and servicing big trucks we know International represents quality and durability. The heart of the new International is the MaxxForce Diesel and we’re proud to have them part of our team.”

Karnes continued, “For us, the right marketing partner was only the beginning. Finding the right driver that could work with our existing team, compete for a championship and uphold our same Texas values was just as important. David Starr’s on track performance speaks for itself, off the track David conducts himself as the true Texas gentleman he is. Rick (Crawford) and Cowboy (Kevin Starland) have done an excellent job in bringing our team back in to the top 10 in 2006. We think having the assets and the working knowledge of a teammate guided by a championship winning crew chief will give us what we need for both of our teams to contend for wins and a championship in 2007.”

David Starr: “Humbled, excited, honored, I’m not really sure which word to use first. I’m incredibly humbled that the Mitchell’s, Rick and the people at International believe that I am the right man for the job. Excited, that after months of uncertainty, not only do I know that I have a job, but I have a job with a team that can win races and contend for a championship. Honored, that I will be representing a sponsor and a team that have the same heart and passion that I have for the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.”

Rick Crawford: “A joint effort between Cowboy, our Circle Bar team and Dan Davis and his team at Ford Racing helped us make some “Bold Moves” to get back into championship contention in 2006. Teamwork was the ingredient that made us better and it’s also the element we are missing. By not having a teammate we were missing the advantages the multi truck teams have by sharing information. Having David Starr as your teammate and the crew chief is Dennis Conner is like picking a fantasy team.”

International Truck and Engine

International Truck and Engine Corporation is the principal operating subsidiary of Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV). The company produces International® brand commercial trucks, MaxxForce brand diesel engines and IC brand school buses, Workhorse brand chassis for motor homes and step vans, and is a private label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. The company is also a provider of truck and diesel engine parts and service. A wholly owned subsidiary offers financing services. Additional information is available at: www.internationaldelivers.com.

Circle Bar Racing PR

Tommy Praytor

Archived