SUPER LATE MODEL DRIVERS AND OWNERS

If HMP were to schedule a Super Late Model race on Sunday afternoon, March 18th as part of our "SPEEDFEST '07" event, would you be interested? What would be a fair purse structure? Also, would there be any businesses or individuals prepared to participate in helping sponsor this race? 250 Laps? Competition pit stop or pit stops?

Yours In Sport,

Graham Baker

Houston Motorsports Park

(281)458-1972

i don't have a SLM ................i try not to get involved with things i have no vested interest in .....

BUT..........are you asking for a self produced purse 100% , and what would you offer dollar wise to have this race held at your track?...........just asking...... 4,500 ...........7,0000. if you're are not offerring up a dollar amount to buy this race for your track i would assume the purse would be covered by HMP. if so the purse structure would be solely based on your decision.

i don't have a SLM ................i try not to get involved with things i have no vested interest in .....

BUT..........are you asking for a self produced purse 100% , and what would you offer dollar wise to have this race held at your track?...........just asking...... 4,500 ...........7,0000. if you're are not offerring up a dollar amount to buy this race for your track i would assume the purse would be covered by HMP. if so the purse structure would be solely based on your decision.

? AH, YA!!!!

'Horse has it right: Graham Baker would be "buying" the super lates to come to HMP as an attraction. As such, they would be worth a percentage of what they would bring to the track in entry fees, pit fees and spectators; maybe 60 percent or so of that total. The trick is to determine what that number is, and I'd bet it falls short of $5,000.00.

The way to boost the payout for the super lates (or any class) is through sponsorship, which Graham mentioned. He can go get it, or you can go get it. I think when the Three Amigos were doing the Space City 125s they were rounding up sponsorship for the event, but I don't know of many others who have done that.

Or, you can race for what Graham can afford right now (the percentage) and do what you can to promote super late racing to raise its profile and attract more fans willing to pay extra for the super late show.

If you are thinking of a 250 lap race you should go to the "Rattler" payout - South Alamaba Speedway

If you are thinking of a 125 lap race you should go to the Blizzard or Miller Lite Pay-Out

Obviously they are doing it right because they don't have a problem with car-counts

I think it would be awesome to start a "traditional" speedfest event and I am sure all the Texas Super Late Model drivers would support it and possibly some Oklahoma, Louisanna and Alabama racers.

Casey

The only real competition issue I see is they need to have a half-way stop instead of hot pit stops.

While some may think the hot stops are exciting for the fans, it hurts the guys who only have a couple crew members. Ask some of the smaller teams why they gave up on races around here. They did not have the high dollar pit guns , 1 or 2 pump jacks, or 7 guys to change 2 tires.

And I am not knocking the teams with those kinds of resources, I just want to see the smaller teams have a more equal footing.

I would also make provisions for those guys who's cars are sitting because of the body. I would ban the high downforce style bodies, but allow the rest. Basically the same bodies that the USLMA Series allows.

If you are thinking of a 125 lap race you should go to the Blizzard or Miller Lite Pay-Out

Casey,

Didya notice that Pensacola and Mobile aligned their Blizzard and Miller Lite SLM races to the same weekends all year?

Sorta sounds like a level of cooperation over there??!!

Here you have a promoter/owner opening his arms and saying "Come race with us" and all you guys can do is find some excuse about, its too soon, orneed more pay? Come on guys. The SLM's are dying, here is your chance to show everyone what the SLM can do. You guys go out there and get a few sponsors to help Graham pay the purse. It is going to be a 2 way road. Graham or what ever track that is willing to give you a chance to race is gonna do his job, but you as a racer, must go out and help him promote and sell the class.

I approached Graham in August of 2005 with the idea of running our dirt hobby stock class out there. He gave us a chance, we got a sponsor to front the purse for the winter series. He then offered us a purse for the year and in the middle of the season, he upped the purse, told us we were putting on a good show and that we deserved it. We have went from 6 cars to 15 cars and we are expecting 18+ on a weekly basis. But withoug some peoples initiative to get it done, we would not be racing at HMP.

One of the Thunder Roadster drivers wanted HMP to have a big show, now we have Speed Fest with the Thunder Roadsters getting $3000 to win.

You have 2 options the way I see it.

1. Get out there and help find sponsors for the race, several races, or a whole season. get with Graham and see what he will do for you. then you can race in 2007.

2. Get on the computer and complain about not being able to race, complain about the crate motors, complain about the promoters, complain about body rules, and keep complaining. Meanwhile, you SLM gets even more out dated as it sits parked!

I am sorry if I offended anyone, I just see someone, whom I respect for the very reason of what he did for our class in 2006, trying to help a class in which I enjoy have a place to race in 2007. Even if it is only 1 race, it is a race.

Good luck to everyone, I hope to see the SLM at HMP for Speed Fest!!!

all i was asking was a question..............did'nt mean to hurt anybody's feelings myself.

most racers i know of are racers because they want tobe , not because they want to be race promoters and have to scavange up race sponsors as well as individual sponsors.

case being said , all the debating in the world is not gonna get 30 SLM to show up and race for a 5 dollar trophy.

it's called RESPECT.

I know very well what is going on over there. I witnessed the cooperation between the tracks during the Snowball, and also the respect the Bryant Family has for the racer. To add to that, the respect the racer has for the Bryants.

Man.. why does a gesture like this have to be at a stand off... this is how i feel right now.... from reading this thread...

If the efforts of JC and several other are going to be realized.. just like the demand for tracks to work together, Race teams need to work with tracks... The question is fair...

Track: HMS

Date: Sunday afternoon, March 18th *(as part of our "SPEEDFEST '07" event)

What would be a fair purse structure?

Would there be any businesses or individuals prepared to participate in helping sponsor this race?

250 Laps?

Competition pit stop or pit stops?

Looks pretty cut and dry... if you look at this thread: http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15180

If 20 cars were to show up.. maybe 150 laps? come on gets.. as for purse...

Pay atleast what the previous USRA Purse was.. the $3K to win..

The $150 entry fee with 20 cars would pay for the winners purse..

My only stake in the game.. is the wanting to watch many of these races i have been watching for years continue.. Please .. you always say Coop with tracks is key.. time to Coop with HMS.. they have given you a chance for a curtain call if nothing else...

*** pulled from the Outlaw thread...**

As of 01-11-07

23 - Larry Bendele

52 - Umscheid Race Services

54 - Todd McLemore

35 - Greg Davis

5 - Josh Trees

?? - Rod Slack

01 -

61 - Corey Lovell

115 - Alexander

77 - Jason Ray

9 - Gary Buchanan

99 - Casey Smith

10 - Kirby Honeycutt

47 - Trey Mitchell

96 - Greg Davidson *Verbal via phone

41 - Chris Davidson *Verbal via phone

74 - Rusty Young *Verbal via phone

39 - Mark Chrudimsky * Verbal via phone

29 - Thad Felton or another driver

?? - Dave Henley

Aaron,

point made and taken.... so here it is....

I wouldn't be able to make it, so here is what i will do and challenge others out there... My company Custom Control Modules from here in San Antonio will put $100 into whatever purse is out there. Now this is ASSUMING that this race happens. I'm talking about the Super Late race and not the truck race Rusty has been working on. I'll work out something with Rusty. Also I plan to to add to several TPS races.

Now, i have taken cr@p from several of you on here and without you knowing i've done things behind the scenes and asked for nothing to be said till now.... i want to challenge all of you who have challenged me, match dollar for dollar into the SLM race JC is trying to put together. oh ya, JC you didn't ask for it, but i'm putting my money were my mouth is. you have that race and you have got a check. between now and then you may have more....

so to quote a good friend "Put up or Shut up!"

Graham,

We are planning to bring the modified to Speedfest so if you put on this SLM race we will probably bring the SLM. If it's 250 laps the pitstop should not be a hot stop (we don't have the equipment or crew). I would prefer a 125 lap race.

Why not see if Mullins would be interested in a ROMCO Speedfest Sunday?

It's going to take a purse equivalent to the Pro LM purse to get the SLM's out.

Rusty

Hello everyone, I need to set a few things straight. I like what HMP is doing and i would be there with a SLM car as im bringing 9 legends, 2 roadsters and 4 bandos to the 1st annual Speedfest anyways, but that besides the point. But i want everyone to know that the only thing i have to do with a Outlaw superlate race is trying to get people involved. Im not putting any money up as i dont have any to put up, and im not making any phone calls to tracks the only leg work im doing is trying to spread the news by word of mouth and on TXSZ and get people intrested in coming to the event. The people who are in charge of the OUTLAW SLM event is Doug and the Hill Country Wireless Company. Like i said i will support both HMP and Doug in these events, with my car and my customers cars.

Hopefully Graham and Doug can get togeather and make this deal happen at SPEEDFEST 07!!!!

J.C

Archived