Idea for HMP Pro Latemodel

Jason

Well since the SLM series appears to have been killed it looks like SLM wont be at TMS anymore. Why not work out a deal to run the HMP Pro Latemodels at TMS? Their race would probably much closer anyways since they are all crates now. No more runaways.

J

Well since the SLM series appears to have been killed it looks like SLM wont be at TMS anymore. Why not work out a deal to run the HMP Pro Latemodels at TMS? Their race would probably much closer anyways since they are all crates now. No more runaways.

J

Jason,

Are you sure a crate has the power to pull a 2:91 gear around that track. Remember, the crates are chipped so the gearing will have to be about that and the aero will be the same as a 650 hp car. Some one with just 5 more hp will have a big advantage since none of the cars will be able to reach full speed. Sounds like another very boring race.

Isn't a talledega motor only about 420hp

and about $80K -- it costs big bucks to run flat out for hours and hours.

I was just wondering about being able to pull the gear. I also wouldn't think a SLM race there would go more than 250 miles. But yes I agree basically setting an idle at 9000 rpm and running for 4-5 hrs would probably be hard on any motor.

Isn't a talledega motor only about 420hp

and about $80K -- it costs big bucks to run flat out for hours and hours.

I was just wondering about being able to pull the gear. I also wouldn't think a SLM race there would go more than 250 miles. But yes I agree basically setting an idle at 9000 rpm and running for 4-5 hrs would probably be hard on any motor.

the SLM races at TMS in the past have required a restrictor plate .. knocking the terminal speed down from 190+ to 140+ that's because the typical SLM's body isn't built to withstand those speeds.

assuming you can gear the 420 "crate" to run 140+ at 6400 rpm for an hour (that's all they run at TMS), the question then becomes whether the internals can handle the strain.

then there's the slow acceleration ... and the resultant drafting....

the SLM races at TMS in the past have required a restrictor plate .. knocking the terminal speed down from 190+ to 140+ that's because the typical SLM's body isn't built to withstand those speeds.

assuming you can gear the 420 "crate" to run 140+ at 6400 rpm for an hour (that's all they run at TMS), the question then becomes whether the internals can handle the strain.

then there's the slow acceleration ... and the resultant drafting....

OK. I understand better now. I always wondered what the differences were.

NASCAR 420HP 3300+ lbs 200+MPH

SLM 650HP 2700-2900 LBS 150mph. Now it makes sense. Especially about the body. That hadn't occurred to me.

if ya ever get a chance to look at the bracing in the front of a Cup car you'd be amazed. that's why they always have a large hammer in the pits .. to unbend the bracing that gets "deformed" when someone oops!

I just thought that all that bracing was because in cup today that's what you use for passing is a bumper.

Archived