Former Longhorn Champ David Cooke not doing well..

NickHolt

Former Longhorn Speedway Super Champion (1993) David Cooke had two aneurysms, two strokes, two blood clots on Dec 13. He was in ICU at Brackenridge until last Tuesday and is now at the Texas NeuroRehab Hospital at 1106 Dittmar in Austin. This is between William Cannon + Slaughter off of Manchaca Rd. The ph# is 512-444-4835 and he is in Room 513. Visiting hrs are 4-8 PM on weekdays and 12-8pm on weekends.

He has not come around from this and is not doing well. Please relay this info to whomever you wish as many people knew and will remember him. He just turned 51 on Dec 1. As you can tell, it's tragic this happened and our family has visited him at least every other day since this happened.

I was looking at TXSZ tonight for the first time in a while and noticed all the sad family news and thought I'd write to you and let you know.

Bob Weest

'smokin' david cooke in the #7.............i grew up watching him race with my stepdad. there were months that went by that you wondered from week to week if this would be the week somebody else might actually win the feature.

i hope for the best.

We're praying for him Bob.My wife has been working with David's family and see's him every day and knows the kind of fight he's up against.Everybody keep David in your thoughts and prayers and hope that he can pull thru this.

Our prayers are with you David as well as your family. Get well soon. You are in excellent hands at Texas Rehab, Larry and I know from past experience. Take Care and God Bless.

Larry & Joyce Walton

RWRacing #49 TSRS

• 2 weeks later...

From Bob Weest:

I just returned from Texas NeuroRehab. Dave talked TODAY

for the FIRST TIME since Dec 13

Rosemary called us this morning and we were going to go anyway

after our son got off school. I had to see for myself. It was worth the

drive just see him and hear his voice. He even told Rosemary earlier

in the day that his favorite radio station was 107.1.......He had his

eyes open and when we walked in and he said "Hi Bob" and we

all just about fell over. They are continuing to work on him.

Another twist of fate...the nurse/technician who attends to him recognized

him from 1993 at Longhorn Speedway and wanted to know if he had raced there

because he sure looked familiar....her name is Christin or Christina (I

think)

and she was the trophy girl the year he won 13 features.

Thought I'd share the great news with you!.......BobW

BOB, THANKS! OUTSTANDING!

Raced against Dave when he came down to Corpus years back. He was a good driver and fun to race against. Got to drive his car in the 95 Stock Car Spectacular in Corpus after he sold it. That was the first time I drove a coil spring car and a car that had power steering!!! I've had power steering ever since!

My prayers are with Dave and his family. May you have a complete recovery.

Raced against Dave when he came down to Corpus years back. He was a good driver and fun to race against. Got to drive his car in the 95 Stock Car Spectacular in Corpus after he sold it. That was the first time I drove a coil spring car and a car that had power steering!!! I've had power steering ever since!

My prayers are with Dave and his family. May you have a complete recovery.

I to grew up watching that turqouis 7 car at longhorn seemed as though him and Bobby Joe were the only two who ever won in those days . Our thoughts and prayers are with u get well soon

• 1 month later...

From Bob Weest

=============================================

I saw Dave on Friday/23 for about an hour and again today/25.

He is doing FANTASTIC these days, for all he has been through.

They now have him in a bed that's enclosed because he is trying to get OUT of the old one. He passed a "swallow test" so he is now eating regular food....no more tubes. Here is a major one, he is wheeling himself around in his wheelchair using BOTH arms and it has braces on the back (he pops wheelies with it). He seems very cognizant of things around him and can talk to you, though not very loud. He has blurred vision and that should be corrected with an operation he is having this Thursday/March 1. Another major breakthrough...he actually can stand up and attempts to walk. He takes at least one step on each attempt. I had him up at least 4 or 5 times today and I just had my arms under his shoulders to balance him. My perception today was that he is really trying hard to not be bound in by a wheelchair and is doing his therapy and making big progress DAILY.

Although visiting hours are 4-8Pm during the week, you can go during the day and its OK...I went in with no problems from the

hospital. He is still in Texas Neuro Rehab in Room 304.

This man's progress is nothing short of a miracle.

Bob Weest

Archived