99 - Casey Smith

10 - Kirby Honeycutt

47 - Trey Mitchell

96 - Greg Davidson *Verbal via phone

41 - Chris Davidson *Verbal via phone

74 - Rusty Young *Verbal via phone

39 - Mark Chrudimsky * Verbal via phone

29 - Thad Felton or another driver

52- David Umscheid....... what do you think J.C. ?

he'd show 'em up .........and then j.c. would never get his car back.

but if he does i'll do my pick the winner now.

As of 01-11-07

23 - Larry Bendele

52 - Umscheid Race Services

54 - Todd McLemore

35 - Greg Davis

5 - Josh Trees

?? - Rod Slack

01 -

61 - Corey Lovell

115 - Alexander

77 - Jason Ray

9 - Gary Buchanan

99 - Casey Smith

10 - Kirby Honeycutt

47 - Trey Mitchell

96 - Greg Davidson *Verbal via phone

41 - Chris Davidson *Verbal via phone

74 - Rusty Young *Verbal via phone

39 - Mark Chrudimsky * Verbal via phone

29 - Thad Felton or another driver

?? - Dave Henley

If HMP were to schedule a Super Late Model race on Sunday afternoon, March 18th as part of our "SPEEDFEST '07" event, would you be interested? What would be a fair purse structure? Also, would there be any businesses or individuals prepared to participate in helping sponsor this race? 250 Laps? Competition pit stop or pit stops?

Yours In Sport,

Graham Baker

Houston Motorsports Park

(281)458-1972

If HMP were to schedule a Super Late Model race on Sunday afternoon, March 18th as part of our "SPEEDFEST '07" event, would you be interested? What would be a fair purse structure? Also, would there be any businesses or individuals prepared to participate in helping sponsor this race? 250 Laps? Competition pit stop or pit stops?

Yours In Sport,

Graham Baker

Houston Motorsports Park

(281)458-1972

Graham,

I only presume to speak for the rest of the SLM guys, but, with a reasonable purse and rules, I think most of the Texas SLM's would be interested - providing there isn't a schedule conflict. As pointed out in one of the other threads, look at the purse structure at Mobile or Five Flags to get an idea what might be expected money-wise and lap-wise. No need for a long race (250 laps), use qualification races to provide a full program. Most fans would rather see a lot of shorter races than one long (and possibly boring) race.

IF there's only enough cars to partially fill a field, then 1 race is fine. But a 250 lap race with 12-15 cars is usually pretty boring after the first 100 laps or so.

When there's more cars than the field can handle, most fans (and racers) would rather have qualification races 'cause it gives the guys who may not have had a good qualifying run a chance to make the race (and fans a race to watch.) Time trials are great, but they don't generate nearly as much excitement as a race for starting position.

IF you want to have a long race, then it's best to break it into 2 parts so the race isn't won (or lost) on pit road. After all, not many SLM teams have the personel to do justice to a green flag pit stop so why penalize most of the teams?

Longer races with pit stops cost extra money for the races. If that happens you might loose a few cars.

and it goes without saying .. but I'll say it anyway .. longer races with pit stops need bigger purses.

Its been my experience that whenever something goes w/o saying it won't get said and after the party of the second part has snookered you, he will say, "you should've said something". ;)

... most fans (and racers) would rather have qualification races 'cause it gives the guys who may not have had a good qualifying run a chance to make the race (and fans a race to watch.) Time trials are great, but they don't generate nearly as much excitement as a race for starting position.

I can't speak for the "racers" part of the statement, but Duck hit it right on from a fan's point of view.

As a race fan,I will agree with racerduck also.Even two fifty lappers to line up the 100 lapper would be too good.

As far as the statement about what the racers want....too expensive for pit stops....just remember the trend towards drifting....as in the fans are drifting away from you guys....or so I've read on this forum.

Think about what the few fans at this first SLM race would spread....word of mouth.It's still the greatest form of advertising in the world....be it good or bad.

Listen to the duck...he is thinking like a fan.(the customer)

As a fan I can say that I do not like the long races with a scheduled stop. It just seems like 2 races that the winner of the first one doesn't get anything and the second one people get a head start in. Have qualifying heats that set the positions and have a decently long green flag race. Competition pit stops would be nice, but most of the small tracks don't have the facilities.

Archived