Richard Tharnish - THR Official

Mary Ann

Update time. First I’d like to apologize to those that are angry that I haven’t done this for awhile. I didn’t mean to worry anyone and saying I’ve been busy is just a lame excuse. Jessica is doing better. We finished her chemo therapy in May and found that surgery meant removing the left pelvis instead of rebuilding it. We decided that a lot of radiation now with the possibility of a little surgery later was better than using a cane for the rest of her life so she started her radiation therapy in July and finished in August. It didn’t turn out the way we thought it would. When the radiation oncologist told us about the procedure he kept using phrases like “it melts the tumor away”. So after completing the treatment in August and having to wait a month for the scans we were a little shocked to find out there was still quite a mass in her hip. He explained that the radiation doesn’t actually destroy (melt away) the cancer but disrupts the cells DNA so that when it spits instead of creating a viable cell it dies. Evidently they don’t teach a course on “setting expectations” in Oncology school. But it’s all good. She started her Bio-therapy this month. It’s a clinical trial on a drug called Imther. It is supposed to stimulate the cancer eating white blood cell we all have. The common thing that kills those with Ewing’s Sarcoma is when it metastasizes somewhere besides it’s starting location. So we do this for a year, have scans every 3 months and keep praying that we can hit that 5 year mark and be declared cancer free. We have a lot to be thankful for! We live in the great state of Texas where we are able to get treatment at one of the best Cancer centers in the world, MD Anderson. I have health insurance that covers the 1st million dollars of treatment (you hope that’s enough when you sign up but we are way past the 500k mark), I have a great boss at a nice place to work that allows me the time off to get treatment for my daughter. Sure, we’ve used up every penny of what little savings we had and we will probably lose the house and land (insurance doesn’t cover all the co-pays, hotel bills, gas, food etc) but I still say “it’s all good. And that’s also why when people ask me “how you doing” I just smile and say “it’s all relative.” Thanks to all of you who have sent Angels and prayed for us. We feel those Angels daily and know that the power of prayer truly does exist. Thank you Mary Ann and H for letting me come out and work the track. The diversion is appreciated. Thank you all and God bless.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your daughter. I sure understand the running out of money and savings. Larry's situation has drained us but with God's help and prayers and everyone's help we will make it. We still have each other and that is what is important. Hug your daughter and tell her you love her and God will look out for you and her. If there is anything we can do just let us know. Will certainly pray for your family. Miracles happen to those who believe.

Sincerely,

Joyce and Larry Walton

• 2 months later...

Jessica's cancer is back. She has a walnut sized mass in her chest and the one in her pelvis is about the size of my fist. She had an x-ray of her chest mid November and it was clear but the one from last week showed growth. She is scheduled to start chemo again next Monday and radiation again in a couple of months. Looking at the posts and emails it seems to be a hard start of the new year for a lot of people b ut if you could please just meantion her when talking to the big guy upstairs I would really appreciate it. Thanks and God bless you all.

post-2944-1200967139_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wig or not, she is a beautiful young lady! Glad to see that smile of victory! Keep us posted on her continuing to win the battle!!

Keep smiling, and everyone smiles with you!

Kathie Weir

Richard, I would hope that no one woud really "be angry" with you. I know how difficult it is living with a constant battle for my own health, much less having to watch a son or daughter fight for theirs. Especially at such a young age. Hangin there and keep praying. I know we will.

I am sure that you would give more than your home and property for your daughters health. But this is something that the racing family can do somehing about, and that is to have a fund raiser or benefit or just to simply drop a check in the mail to you for the medical bills. I will put a check in the mail if you give me an address where to send it. Can I send it to M. D. Anderson in your, or your daughters name to be applied against her account there? I will do it today. May not be much compared to the actual total, but every penny counts at a time like this.

How about it racing family. I know that the season is upon everyone. but we all can give up something to support this family.

By the way, you have a very beautiful daughter.

May the Lord wrap your family in His arms and comfort you and make your daugher well again.

Rupert Claridge (a.k.a. Bubba)

Thank you Nick for the resize. Sorry I missed the Enduro and Banquet. When I said angry it wasn't "we're going to beat you up angry" like when I make a bad call in the corner but more of the worried angry "why haven't you posted an update" like when you didn't call mom to let her know you were staying out late, we love you angry. And that kind I really don't mind.

My work had a garage sale and a few people have mentioned other fund raisers but I am sure that they are just as busy as we are and just haven't had the time. My address is 541 Keystone Loop,Kyle TX. 78640. I appreciate every thought and prayer and kind word that everyone has given us. She is getting better and we will keep fighting this ugly thing!

Thanks again for all you do! Hope to see you out at the track this year. My wife says

I still can't work the infield though :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Jessica had her scans again last week. the tumor in her chest is down to just a whisp of a cloud on her xray. The one on her pelvis has reduced a little from the MRI in January. The doctors weren't impressed by the pelvis tumor but Jessica her mom and I think that it has shrunk more than they do. We think it had actually grown a lot between the January MRI and her first chemo. the time difference was 2 weeks and the tumor on her hip had started protruding out over her waist band again. They want to start radiation on her chest right away and say it should only take 2 to 3 weeks worth to get rid of it. The one on her Pelvis though is in the area that received the highest dose of radiation last summer so they can't do any there until August and would like to hold off till next February if she can we'll keep having the Chemo until it stops shrinking the tumors and may have to switch chemos if that happens too early. Please keep her in your prayers.

• 2 months later...

First thanks for a great night of racing. My wife and I made it out for the first time in a very long time and really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks Arron for stopping by and visiting. Ron, great to see you and glad you aren’t holding the fact that you work the infield against me;).I don’t know what happened during that last race but two drivers I had a good deal of respect for when I was working the corners lost much of it last night.

Jessica is doing fine. We go for scans this week and see how well the chemo is helping. They doubled one of them 2 cycles ago so she has been feeling a bit worse these last to go rounds. We set up a website for her so I am not going to update here anymore. Just too little time to update everywhere. The website is www.caringbridge.org then enter her name jessicatharnish just like that. No spaces. Thanks for everything!

• 1 year later...

My daughter Jessica passed away Wednesday Oct 21 2009. Thank you for all your prayers and kind words.

A letter from the Tharnish family

We gather here today not to say goodbye to Jessica but to celebrate her escape. Jessica did not die Wednesday. The body that held Jessica prisoner took its last breath and released her soul so she is no longer earthly bound. Do not mourn her passing for she is with you more now than she has ever been. She is free.

Jessica never gave up. She knew death could come and take her body anytime but she refused to dwell on that. She preferred to keep on living. She would not sit by passively and wait for life to pass her by. She was appalled by those that choose to do so and had no problem telling them, even some of you, do not take for granted the time you have here. To live with purpose. To do something, anything, but to do it with reason. Cherish what God has given you. Celebrate just being. She did. Now, she is free.

She suffered. We watched her writhe in pain. We heard her cry out. We felt her tears and held her for there was often nothing more we could do for her. But she laughed. She found humor in even the smallest things. She found comfort in the people that she knew. She spread love. Now she hurts no more. Jessica won. She killed the cancer for the cancer could only live as long as Jessica’s body did. The cancer is dead. She is alive. She is free.

And now we cry for selfish reasons. We wish we could hold her one more time. One last hug. One more kiss goodbye. But if you believe she can no longer touch you. You are wrong. She is here for you. She provides you strength and guidance and she loves you. She hears you and if you stop and look you can see her. If you listen very carefully for her, she will tell you what you need to know. If you are very still you will feel her hold you. When you hurt real bad you will feel her comfort you. And best of all when you are happy you will hear her laughter and feel her dance within you. She is free.

Now. Stand up. Hold up your arms. Close your eyes. Feel her hug you. She is free and can love you all now more than she ever could have before. Do not mourn her passing. Celebrate her coming into your life more fully than before, for she is free.

Thank you for being here with us today. Thank you for loving her. Love hugs and kisses to you all.

The Tharnish family

Archived