No usra slm?

Ford27

Seems that there will not be any slm this year.Welll I wont pay any extra to see the trucks or the mods.(no offense to you guys) It used to be a show with usra slm truks and mods, well worth $20. then they try to split them and charge 20 for the slm and 15 for the others. Not any more racing just more money. I feel like Ive been duped. put em back together and charge 20 or 25 but dont think we're stupid

Hray said it there were obviously a lot of non ABC body cars that would have to buy new bodies to make the rulesmakers happy,if this rule helped in other parts of the country then where are those cars here?

Obviously on jackstands,and I don't blame them. Face it we are at least 10 hours too far west to attract the cars out east,and why would they come herre unless paid,they have several series in their own backyard. The plight of the non ABC body cars has been obvious just by looking in the classifieds on this web site.

Seems that there will not be any slm this year.Welll I wont pay any extra to see the trucks or the mods.(no offense to you guys) It used to be a show with usra slm truks and mods, well worth $20. then they try to split them and charge 20 for the slm and 15 for the others. Not any more racing just more money. I feel like Ive been duped. put em back together and charge 20 or 25 but dont think we're stupid

At this point, we are seriously looking at ways to lower our gate prices for the racefans! We want more seats in the grandstands filled and for families to be able to afford coming out to some of the finest racing in Texas. Please don't forget, we plan on having some Super Late Model racing @ THR, the Pro Late Models! Trust me, no one is trying to get to anyone, we just have to be able to afford to keep the gates open, we THR have been blessed with very good car counts, we could just use a few more fans in the stands. Merry Christmas everyone and continued prayers to the Kelly family.

hray I don't know where you buy your bodys, but you got ripped off.

ABC white package C $1891

Lite Weight hood 231

Lite Weight roof 180

shipping 150

$2452

That's close enough to $2500 for me! Besides, the point is that the good non-ABC bodies couldn't be run, so even if you have a place where you can get a super deal you still have to pay for something you don't need.

PS-Tell us all your super cheap source for ABC bodies. If it's that cheap it might be worth mandating ABC bodies for all classes.

In 2004 ROMCO made the ABC bodies optional for the SLM's and told everyone ABC bodies would be mandatory in 2005. Then USRA adopted ROMCO's rules and so we ran ABC bodies in 2005. Don't remember anybody really complaining .. after all, they had a whole year's notice and everyone who got a new car for 2005 had an ABC body on it.

My car had a non-ABC body ('99 Taurus) that was in pretty good condition, but in order to continue running in 2005 we installed a brand new 2005 look alike with pretty decals that told everyone what it was. But, being a poor boy operation, we got plastic fenders so we didn't have to fix broken fiberglass (like on the Taurus) and we opted to forgo the other lightweight ($$$) options. Still had to add weight to the car to make 2900 lbs. so don't know how much a couple pounds in the body made much difference, especially since we had to create an elaborate "bracket system" to make the rear roof/window fit the template 'cause the body was slightly warped (and I wasn't the only one!!!)

OK, so I probably would still have the Taurus body on the car without the rule change. But, it wasn't the ABC body or the weight change that parked the car. It was the crate engine preference and arrogance of certain series officials that they knew what was best for me!

That said, I think there are fewer cars parked because of these changes than the old equalizer, time. There's a lot of old race cars in garages, storage, etc. that'll only see a track again as part of a "Vintage" race (now there's an idea). They are just too slow compared to today's SLM. Technology has moved so fast in the last 5 years that, unless you can afford a new chassis every year, you can't run up front without being a "factory" chassis car - yes, there are some around. Now I know there are some exceptions, but those exceptions spend a lot of time (and money) re-doing geometries looking for that extra tenth of a second.

Point is, SLM racing is expensive (in both time and dollars) .. equate it to Nextel Cup or Indy Cars or F1 .. without a large bankroll, you cannot afford the technology to consistently run top 5's. Unless you've actually done it, you don't have any idea how much more time and money is involved than Trucks or Mods or even TSRS Late Models and HMP Pro Late Models!

Doug O'Neal and others are working real hard to put together a great event for SLM's right here in central Texas. And I know many SLM racers with parked cars are waiting anxiously for them to finish their work and announce the date and rules. Some of us skin-flints will actually have to buy new tires to run. But it'll be a BLAST!!! And I, for one, am looking forward to putting my 2005 look alike on the track again.

If ya don't like SLM racing, ya just don't like racing!!! :D:D:D

Here's wishing each and every race car owner, driver, team member, family and fan a very Merry Christmas and an extremely Happy 2007.

Archived